Stuttgart Light Rail (stadtbahn Stuttgart)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by irFlouz, Aug 8, 2020.

1. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

Good day everyone,
    I'd like to suggest the Stadtbahn Stuttgart as a possible future route for TSW 2. As it is a light rail system, it would be a similar experience to the TS2020 DLC 'U-Bahn Frankfurt', but considerably larger and more overground (only 14 out of 201 stations underground). This would also be the first official route to go from Stuttgart in both TS2020 and TSW.

Route

As the entire network is more than 130km long, which is improbable as a TSW DLC at this point, I'd suggest following lines to be made:

- U12 (Remseck - Dürrlewang) and U14 (Mühlhausen - Hauptbahnhof)
    The U12 starts at Neckargröningen Remseck, the northernmost station on the network, just next to the river Neckar. The U12 follows it just until Auwiesen, the stop after Mühlhausen, after which it crosses the Neckar. It then continues on towards Nordbahnhof, crossing the Neckar once again. It then passes the new-built stop Budapester Platz, after which it goes underground for the first time. It stops at Hauptbahnhof (Arnulf-Klett-Platz) before it continues towards Bopser, after which one of the longest tunnels on the network is. You get a small glimpse over the city of Stuttgart, before you arrive at Degerloch, the end stop of the line 10 - the rack railway called 'Zacke'. From there it continues on to Möhringen, after which it passes the 'Betriebshof 2', the location of the SSB-Administration and the home to maximum 60 trains. Just before passing under the S-Bahn trains, it turns left towards Lapp Kabel, the last stop before the final stop of the line, Dürrlewang.

Double trains are operated on this line.

The U12 is 25.2km long, of which 6.2km are underground. The total duration is 50 minutes.

Based on that, the U14 could be added, which starts at Mühlhausen and currently ends at Hauptbahnhof (Anulf-Klett-Platz) due to Stuttgart 21 works. It turns left after the second overpass over the Neckar towards Münster. It then goes under the railway viaduct Stuttgart-Münster before continuing onwards to Stöckach, after which the line goes underground. It turns right after the stop Rathaus before arriving at Rotebühlplatz . Then, it shortly goes overground, turning right at the 'Berliner Platz' after which it goes underground for the final stop, Hauptbahnhof.

Normally it runs the same path till Staatsgalerie , after which it turns right directly into Hauptbahnhof, without taking the loop via Berliner Platz. It then continues on towards Marienplatz via Rotebühlplatz. From there, it goes to Heslach Vogelrain via Südheimer Platz, from where the 'Standseilbahn Stuttgart' - the cable car up to the forest graveyard.

The U14 is, in it's current status with the S21 works, 13.1km long and adds another 4km underground, the duration is 32 minutes.
    While I consider that only these line would be built, following lines could also be added:

- U15 (Stammheim - Ruhbank/Fernsehturm (- Heumaden))
    Starting in the very north of Stuttgart in Stammheim, the U15 terminates at Ruhbank/Fernsehturm, the highest stop on the network. During peak hours outside of holidays, it is extended down to Heumaden. The line is 14.6km long or 18km long with the extension to Heumaden, which adds up to a duration of 37 or 45 minutes.
    - U6 (Gerlingen - Fasanenhof)
    The U6 starts at the westernmost stop on the networt, Gerlingen. From there, it goes to Fasanenhof via Feuerbach, Hauptbahnhof, Degerloch and Möhringen. It is the longest line on the network, being 26.2km long and having a duration of 52 minutes.

Double trains are operated on this line.
    Rolling Stock

The Stadtbahn Stuttgart uses trains of the type DT8, of which there are 14 different series. Three of these are prototypes, the others can be divided into three different groups, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation. These differentiate themselves by shape, performance and other features.

Per group, I'd like to suggest following series:
    - DT 8.6 (modernized)
    - DT 8.11
    - DT 8.13

[​IMG]
    Example of a 1st generation DT8, a DT8.9 to be exact
    Further potential (DLC)

The first thought when it comes to adding things to the existing lines is of course, adding other lines to it. But another possibility would be adding the trains named above if not all are included within the base.

By adding the bit out to Bad Cannstatt, the 'Oldtimerlinen' could be made possible, using the old GT4 trams. This could be made as another DLC.

What I hope would be done (right)

First of all, road traffic.
    Especially on the sections where the road traffic interacts with the train (e.g. the track is combined with the road or it runs alongside it) it would feel very wrong if there weren't any road vehicles, especially in a city like Stuttgart. If there wasn't, I'd say it would already kill of one third of the immersion.

Sounds.
    Sounds are always important, but I'd say it is even more important in this route. Especially the flange sounds, which often are quite loud in sharp turns, like just before Hauptbahnhof. These are probably one of my favourite sounds on the Stadtbahn, and I very hope that this is going to be done right if it's going to be made.

IBIS
    This is not that important, but it is certainly wanted. Being able to set the destinations and the next stop to show inside the train was, in my opinion, one of best features of the U-Bahn Frankfurt rolling stock, and it would be a pity if it wasn't included in this one. Announcements would of course be great but I know it's difficult to make it.

Conclusion

If done right, this has a lot of potential and this would be the first light-rail route to exist in TSW. Also it would be the first route in Stuttgart in a while. Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

To get an idea of the suggested U12 and of the sounds, I can recommend this video:

Map (also including S-Bahn services and Trolleybus Esslingen)
    [​IMG]
    All information is taken from the german Wikipedia page about the Stadtbahn Stuttgart and the DT8, and excuse me if there are any errors.

Edit #1: Added the 'normal' path of the U14, the one descripted before was the one due to the S21 works

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  2. unbekannt_nabilrr

unbekannt_nabilrr New Member

Wooow! Yeah I would like that

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Sounds fun.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Take my money! :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. at#4245

at#4245 New Member

Good ideas.
    I would suggest to include the extension of the U6 to the airport. As well as the from 2025 Verkehrende line U17 (airport / fair - Dürlewang (via the newly built curve).
    I would also add the U25 line (Killesberg - Degerloch Albstraße (- Möhringen Bahnhof)) to simulate the Lichterfest operation.