Train Sim World 4 Suburban Manchester Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sam#2862, Mar 19, 2023.

1. sam#2862

sam#2862 Well-Known Member

This suggestion would get a selection of small routes around the Network of Greater Manchester that all connect at Manchester Piccadilly or Victoria
    WOODHEAD LINE (MANCHESTER PICCADILLY-HADFIELD AND GLOSSOP:
    from Manchester Piccadilly to Hadfield and Glossop. This line goes from Manchester to the very edge of the Peak District despite this I will say it doesn't look the nicest, which is great because every route looks really clean and unrealistic, it also uses much different OHLE because this line previously used 15,000 volts rather than the current 25,000 which looks much different visually as well (here is an example at Gorton)
    [​IMG]
    The stations include Manchester Piccadilly, Ardwick, Gorton, Fairfield, Guide Bridge, Flowery Field, Newton for Hyde, Godley, Hattersley, Broadbottom, Dinting, Glossop (then comes back to the triangle at Dinting before heading to Hadfield) and Hadfield. This line uses exclusively 323s and so would be a modified version of the current BCC 323 (hopefully this time with guards and a fully functional GSM-R to really give us the enhanced experience that you would expect from a simulator)
    Class 323 at Dinting
    [​IMG]
    STYAL LINE (MANCHESTER PICCADILLY-WILMSLOW VIA MANCHESTER AIRPORT:
    This is a line with not much too it but there are some cool things this could enable such as seeing Trams again and Planes leaving Manchester Airport, This line is served by 331/0s, 319s, and the occasional 323 (including services that start at Crewe and Liverpool Lime Street because they do both, but this will only go as far as Wilmslow or Manchester Airport - Piccadilly respectively because those actually are termini for some services) Transpennine express Transport for Wales also appear between Manchester Airport and Piccadilly so they could be a layer if they are released with another route. The stations on this line include Wilmslow, Styal, Manchester Airport, Heald Green, Gatley, East Didsbury, Burnage, Mauldeth Road and Manchester Piccadilly.
    Class 319 at Manchester Airport
    [​IMG]
    MANCHESTER AIRPORT-BOLTON:
    This line has just recently been electrified and I would describe it as the nicest looking line on the route with some nice greenery at the northern end of the route but also some newer infrastructure as a result of its new upgrades. The Stations are Manchester Oxford Road, Deansgate, Salford Crescent, Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Moses Gate and Bolton and it is usually operated by a 319 or 331.
    The only service is Manchester Airport to Blackpool North going as far as Bolton, this will follow the same line from Bolton down to Salford Crescent before turning the other way and heading towards Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly and then it follows the other line from Manchester Piccadilly to the Airport we mentioned above this is usually operated by 319s and 331/0s.
    MANCHESTER PICCADILLY-HAZEL GROVE:
    This line is the gateway to two other lines, firstly the Hope Valley line express services and the services to Buxton which continue on but are unelectrified from here (these are usually operated by the150/1and /2) It was previously previously run by the class 319 and 331/0 EMUs but now they seem to be operated by the 150s which had the Buxton services, (there is another service that uses part of this line and that is Piccadilly to Stockport and is operated by the 323) but now also the Hazel Groves (see Sim0n Trains video for more) but to keep the number of trains to TSW standards because its rare to get more than one new train on routes unfortunately, we will stick to the older timetable which actually utilises the OHLE. The stations on this line are Manchester Piccadilly, Levenshulme, Heaton Chapel, Stockport, Davenport, Woodsmoor and Hazel Grove.
    [​IMG]
    ROLLING STOCK:
    Class 323 (at Stockport)
    [​IMG]

The class 323 EMU built by Hunslet TPL is a fairly new addition to the game releasing with the Birmingham Cross City Line from Dovetail Games In order to work with this new release it would require a new livery both externally and internally and possibly some new sounds for acceleration and deceleration because although the sounds are amazing compared to the TS Classic version in it isn't better in terms of movement, because there is no high speed track noise (you should hear a noise similar to that of when the 387 is at speed or really any electric or loco powered train, you won't hear it on a DMU because of the engines blocking the noise out) but it sounds synthetic, the TS Classic version was pretty much raw sounds hence why it cut out so much but that was the one thing they got right with that 323 what you cold hear was spot on. Anyway enough of the rant, I'll give credit where its due every other sound is great and I understand that it is hard to replicate the noise of the 323 so I'll let you off.
    Class 319 (at Stockport)
    [​IMG]

The class 319 EMU was built by BREL York at Holgate road works York between 1987 and 1988 and then the second batch in 1990, as 4 car units to run services for Thameslink, they have a top speed of 100mph and were moved to NORTHERN in 2015 where they will stay until we get the 323s from West Midlands Railway.
    Class 331/0 (at Manchester Piccadilly)
    [​IMG]

The class 331/0 EMU was built by CAF at Zaragoza Spain as 3 car units with a top speed of 100mph between 2017 and 2019. They then entered service in 2019 to assist the 319s and 323s on services around Manchester and the North West.
    ROUTE LENGTHS:
    Woodhead line

Man-Piccadilly - Glossop= 12 miles. Glossop-Hadfield= 1 mile. TOTAL= 13 miles. Trains Per Day= 43.
    Styal line
    Man-Piccadilly - Man-Airport= 8 miles. Man-Airport - Wilmslow= 3 miles. TOTAL= 11 miles. Trains Per Day= 95 (I don't think that includes Manchester Airport because I think some services skip and go straight on and Trainline will try to give you the most direct route)
    Man-Airport - Bolton
    Because the line from Manchester Airport-Piccadilly is re-used from the Styal line I will count from Piccadilly only.
    Piccadilly - Bolton= 10 miles of new track but the full distance would be 18 miles. Trains Per Day= 63 (including Transpennine Express Nova 2 services because they use a lot of these lines too however they would only be included as a layer if on another DLC e.g Northern 150, TPE 185 and EMR 158 layers on Hazel Grove services (for Buxton services and hope valley line services to Sheffield and Cleethorpes respectively), TPE 397 on Manchester Airport-Bolton services (for Manchester Airport-Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley services) e.t.c e.t.c.
    Victoria - Salford Crescent= 1 mile of new track as the lines both join up at Salford Crescent.
    Man-Piccadilly - Hazel Grove and Stockport
    Man-Piccadilly - Stockport= 6 miles Trains Per Day= 264 including NORTHERN, Avanti West Coast, Transport For Wales, Cross Country (there are northern services generally operated by 323s on this service while some continue on to Stoke-on-Trent and Crewe, some terminate here. Stockport-Hazel Grove= 3 miles TOTAL= 9 miles Trains Per Day=42
    The full length of all these routes put together adds up to 44 miles which is possible for the Devs as the new Midland Mainline route and West Cornwall Local both match the length of this route with a few longer routes that have been made and although this is unlikely to happen it would be a great addition and it matches the feel of Suburban Glasgow Northwest.
    CONCLUSION:
    I think this would be a great DLC to have for us Northerners who would like a modern route and those who would like a collection of routes like a network, it would also cater to those who like a quick and short drive with lots of stops short distances apart through interesting scenery because it varies a lot throughout the route, this would also help create a populated environment for any other routes based in Manchester that could release in the future. As this route has many destinations and playable services it helps to create an environment where there are so many things to do its hard to get bored and gets rid of that linearity in most DLCs that no matter how much you love you still find yourself getting bored.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  2. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Awesome I’ll buy it if trains upto scratch

3. sam#2862

you know they won't be

4. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

is the woodhead line not closed? havent it been closed for several decades?

5. twinboo

twinboo Active Member

Yes, but part of it up to Hadfield remains open as the Glossop line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sam#2862

yeah the original line continued from Hadfield to Sheffield Victoria but that part is now closed so its just Piccadilly to Glossop and Hadfield

7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I would prefer the Woodhead line as a backdated route, but something modern like Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport and Crewe via Wilmslow and Stockport with the Class 323 would do nicely.

Alternatively, Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Victoria via Chat Moss is a well sized route, and if rumours of a Blackpool to Preston route are true, stock from such (if set modern day) could layer onto here for more variety. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. sam#2862

yes I would like that too. Preston-Blackpool North and South I hope they'll probably still find a way to charge us £30 for it though, its ridiculous

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea overall and why not set this at the same time as peak rail the second steam route that way you can operate an entire Manchester to Buxton service.

10. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The woodhead line is a route which cannot be done modern and must be done it's full entire pre-rationalised form from manchester to sheffield. I would be furious with DTG if they even considered doing it modern.

• Like Like x 3
  11. sam#2862

that could come its not like I am asking for it to be just Manchester - Hadfield and Glossop if it was that would be sad so if it was standalone it should go to Sheffield but the purpose of this is to put together a few Manchester routes so that you can use the area more because with it being likely that we get some routes that stem from Manchester this just helps populate the area and to utilise all these routes

12. sam#2862

whoops

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ewan0025

Ewan0025 Well-Known Member

a bad dream came true

• Like Like x 4
  14. sam#2862

yep lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. jack#9468

jack#9468 Well-Known Member

But at least it was partially realised.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ewan0025

Ewan0025 Well-Known Member

I think it would of been great if they included all the lines. It would of made an interesting little network that would of been alot better with all the different types of services
    shame we got the worst

• Like Like x 1
  17. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

To be fair though Glossop doesn't seem like a half bad route.

The 323 is a fine loco, the route itself looks detailed enough that it's fun and gives a short burst of simulation and has a guard scenario.

Albeit I've never played Glossop outside of one time so I wouldn't know.

But I so agree a network route was of been better.

• Like Like x 2
  18. sam#2862

yeah its not bad idk if I'll get it but the Guard scenario should have gone the full distance from Hadfield, and agreed a network like this would be better suited

• Like Like x 1
  19. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

So would l, Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport and Crewe via Wilmslow and Stockport is a must have route for me. Hopefully in TSW5 or before.

20. sam#2862

don't mention that word you might start something lol

21. sam#2862

for the style of route I want this to be I would say thats too far but considering 13 miles of this route has already been made maybe it could be extended past the airport to Crewe but idk