Sudden Frame Rate Drop Down To 14fps

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by cscarpenter, Jul 21, 2022.

1. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    just thought I would share my experience of a sudden frame rate drop over the last few days.
    I admit I dont have the ultimate gaming PC but it usually ticks over at 30-60 FPS on most TSC routes.
    On friday of last week I swapped out my Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD for a Samsung EVO 870 2TB SSD (purely to increase my storage capacity).
    Ever since the upgrade TSC decided to run at a max of 14FPS regardless of route, scenario, loco DLC etc.... basically unplayable.
    I have spent the last 4 days updating graphic drivers, tinkering with bios, playing with NVidia conrtrol settings, Ts Graphic settings all to no avail.
    I stupidly went down the road of the upgrade being the root of the problem.
    As a last resort I put back my old SSD and still only got the same 14FPS
    Then a light bulb moment occured......

My PC is a DELL Optiplex 7010 micro tower with a GPU upgrade to a Nvidia GTX1050Ti .
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
    Installed RAM 24.0 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Not the largest of cases, and with the current heatwave in the UK decided to take the side panel off the case and place a desktop fan on full bore aimed at the internal components.................
    ................... Lo and behold back to 50FPS
    Basically my poor little pooter was cooking.

DSC_0015.jpg
    Thought I would post this info purely as a heads up to all our fellow TSC users.
    Some of the problems we come across can be just down to basic abnormal working conditions, and not necessarily:
    Hardware / software / DTG / TSC failures which is the area a lot of us PC users first presume is causing the problem.
    Hope this info can be of use to someone in the future.
    Best wishes to all.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. ajpardy

ajpardy Member

That’s odd. But thanks for sharing,useful info

QUOTE="cscarpenter, post: 509614, member: 19263"]Hi all,
    just thought I would share my experience of a sudden frame rate drop over the last few days.
    I admit I dont have the ultimate gaming PC but it usually ticks over at 30-60 FPS on most TSC routes.
    On friday of last week I swapped out my Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD for a Samsung EVO 870 2TB SSD (purely to increase my storage capacity).
    Ever since the upgrade TSC decided to run at a max of 14FPS regardless of route, scenario, loco DLC etc.... basically unplayable.
    I have spent the last 4 days updating graphic drivers, tinkering with bios, playing with NVidia conrtrol settings, Ts Graphic settings all to no avail.
    I stupidly went down the road of the upgrade being the root of the problem.
    As a last resort I put back my old SSD and still only got the same 14FPS
    Then a light bulb moment occured......

My PC is a DELL Optiplex 7010 micro tower with a GPU upgrade to a Nvidia GTX1050Ti .
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
    Installed RAM 24.0 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Not the largest of cases, and with the current heatwave in the UK decided to take the side panel off the case and place a desktop fan on full bore aimed at the internal components.................
    ................... Lo and behold back to 50FPS
    Basically my poor little pooter was cooking.

View attachment 91444
    Thought I would post this info purely as a heads up to all our fellow TSC users.
    Some of the problems we come across can be just down to basic abnormal working conditions, and not necessarily:
    Hardware / software / DTG / TSC failures which is the area a lot of us PC users first presume is causing the problem.
    Hope this info can be of use to someone in the future.
    Best wishes to all.[/QUOTE]

3. onwon.train

onwon.train New Member

I've been having the same problems with my pc. I just installed this game today as I want to get back into playing games like these and steam says that my pc matches the recommended specs for the most part for this game so i was expecting at least 40-50 fps but whenever I start a session the fps tankers down to 17-23fps. Ive been trying to mess around with the settings but the fps keeps staying the same. I also looked at my cpu/ram/gpu stats and they were only working at 25-50% power, which means they weren't working at their full potential. I don't know if this is a game problem or if I can force my pc to work harder to get more fps but i don't want to keep playing on 20fps so can someone please let me know, thanks.
    Also I did an Academy session at first and i think that had much better fps then when I started career mode.
    Also my stats are:
    I5-6400
    8GB ram
    GTX 960 4GB

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This is the problem with some big brand pre-builts, especially Dell. They're just not that well designed, and there have been many cases of Dell machines thermal throttling due to insufficient cooling

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The reason Train Simulator looks as if it is not using all of the CPU's potential, is because it is not. TS is mainly a single threaded game, so it is mainly using 1 of your 4 cores, hence the low CPU usage. With your CPU and GPU, and the amount of RAM you have, the performance you are getting is pretty much to be expected. If you are worried about a thermal problem, download a diagnostic program like HWiNFO64 and monitor your temps. It will also tell you if your CPU has been thermal throttling.