Suggestion For Dtg To Improve Atmospheric Visuals

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 23, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’ve always found atmospheric visuals in TSW to look quite flat looking. Particularly sunrises and sunsets. By default, there’s just no haze or fog in the distance, which means the (extremely bland) distance hills and mountains are unrealistically visible and clear. Thus making the feel of far away terrain seem extremely close by, subsequently making the whole map feel smaller.

I applied an Unreal Command, which allows me to change the fog values in real time via Unreal Engine Unlocker.

Below shows a comparison between the default (No fog) and edited (fog value applied) at sunset. Notice how much more realistic the latter image looks, with far away terrain being masked by the fog.

Now if DTG could automate the process, by automatically applying a layer of haze and/or fog slowly as the sun starts to set, for distant terrain, that would be great. We already have a little bit of haze during the day, but that sadly disappears at the sun sets, making everything look extremely clear.

What do you think?

BF4BA9C3-12E2-40BE-8B8B-B91002CA54D5.jpg B1F81816-33CD-4611-8B2C-012BE023E387.jpg

• Like Like x 37
  2. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Now that is how a sunset fog should look like. Hopefully the team is working on making improvement to this before Dynamic Weather is added.:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Please yes. The default sunrises/sunsets are dire.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I think you should share this idea with Adam and see what he says, since you are kinda of close;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

There is a way to put these in the ini?

• Like Like x 1
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Don't try to do it yourself, that's why leave it to the expert or else you are going to ruin your game. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think it would need to be set to specific weather, temperature combinations but yes that does add that realistic haze. One thing we miss is those purple winter sunrises , they’re all this orange I believe

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

It does add something, tho it extends into the sky a bit to much in my opinion. It doesn't look like it's looming over the ground, and more like a wall of smog or smoke.

But the direction is a good one and I'm curious to see where this goes!

9. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

That sunset fog looks awesome!

10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Might be a bit too much for every scenario, but does look good! I think it could work really well if they made it work based on temperature and wetness settings, or something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So much untapped potential with the UE engine as applied to TSW.

• Like Like x 6
  12. londonmidland

Bear in mind the value is completely adjustable, so you can add as much or little fog as you want.

Some good suggestions posted here. Especially the one with it being linked with the temperature and weather.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Is it possible to implement a "fog gradient" so that something close by (say within 500m) is basically crystal clear but further than that becomes increasingly blurred? I'm thinking of when you may get a very dewy morning and although you don't have mist close up, if you look at a far horizon it is blurred...

Also, anything for low lying fog or cloud? As in when the sun's coming up over the horizon but you may have a patch of fog or mist stuck in a nook or valley?

14. londonmidland

Unfortunately we don’t have any of those options available in TSW 2.

I’m pretty sure the weather system DTG uses supports a wide variety of different weather settings and visuals, however, like most things that UE4/TSW 2 can support, DTG never seem to utilise these things.

We really need to push DTG in to updating and supporting, as well as utilising more visual settings. TSW could look so much better, as well as more realistic, if DTG allowed it to.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ARuscoe

I would imagine the "wish list of things DTG would LIKE to do but haven't yet looked into (or cause other issues)" is extensive.
    Of course the first question regarding the fog visuals is if there is any FPS or CPU hindrance or benefit...

16. londonmidland

I personally haven’t experienced any performance impact with fog. Certainly nothing compared to when you have rain enabled..

17. ARuscoe

Well then I see no reason not to implement this in the core (after suitable testing), similar to the new sky box system

18. londonmidland

I can only assume it’s to do with time and priorities. Just look how long it took for my skybox to be added officially to the game, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ARuscoe

Hence mentioning suitable testing. Only going by DTG saying that the skybox did cause some issues somewhere or another a few months back

20. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Not just atospherics but I think a full weather rework improvement project is required such as dynamic weather, improvements to the haze, bloom, rain, effects and the proper implentation of thunderstorms. Im not a current fan of the fog effects unless it is as specific times like the screenshots during early mornings.

I'm currently loving Foobian's weather preset mod (https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...9-patches/i2295-more-weather-scenariospresets)

• Like Like x 3
  21. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

yeah thats was my problem as well for some reason when you drive in a specific weather such as rainy, snowy, or for, this can really affect FPS on some player such as myself. I really don't know why that is or is there anyway for the team to fix this but on a clear day, it doesn't affect me as much as those horrible weather? Does this have to do with the route itself or does it have to do with something in the weather setting? How do you fix this?

22. ARuscoe

Some additional effect such as weather where you have particles of snow, water or whatever in the air, the control of those effects and things like ensuring they appear in the windows and so on would affect performance.
    This is why I asked about the fog. It doesn't look "particle driven" more like an obscurity placed on the atmosphere, so different to rain or snow

23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Running TS the last few days, got to be honest the weather in that looks much better.