Sulitjelma Railway - 2023 Remaster

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by OldVern, Jan 31, 2023.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This is the first of my UKTS routes to be redone and moved over to the Steam Workshop, where it can hopefully be preserved for posterity. I would appreciate if the community could support and "like" the route (once it becomes visible) so I can finalise it.

Scenarios to follow once the route clears through Steam.

From the project notes:

"This route was originally created in 2010 and hosted at UKTS (defunct late 2023). I have therefore taken the opportunity to rework the route into a version for the Steam Workshop which will ensure its preservation. **Please note this version of the route will be installed separate to the original which will not be overwritten**

A number of changes have had to be made to ensure the route complies with requirements for Workshop hosting, specifically no assets outside TSC content available on Steam. This means that station signs have been removed and custom buildings replaced with items from DLC routes. The opportunity has also been taken to replace the original very old Kuju track to a more recent and better looking type. This in turn means that displayed speed limits have been changed from mph to km/h.

For this route to work you will need the following content installed: Wutachtalbahn Kuju UK and US Asset Pack RSC AP Station Pack (included with several routes including Woodhead) RSC Woodhead Route RSC Settle & Carlisle Route RSDL Island Line RSDL Foliage Pack

The real Sulitjelma Railway was a 3'6" narrow gauge line running from Finneid (near Fauske on the Nordland Line) approximately 21 miles east to the mining town of Lomi. The real line closed in 1972 and was converted to a road (including the several long tunnels). Inspiration to build this route came from reading about it in "Railway Holiday in Northern Norway and Sweden" by H.A. Vallance, which is pretty much the only published information about the line. My version is very much freelance and a product of my imagination. With little narrow gauge support for TSC, the line has been built to standard gauge. The Nordland "main line" at Finneid has been omitted due to various constraints.

Operations and Other Issues I have included a Free Roam Scenario plus several other scenarios to get you started. For a leisurely introduction I recommend the steam hauled evening run. It will take you just over an hour to drive an all stations train from Finneid to Lomi. Use of the track monitor (F3) is recommended until you learn the route. In a couple of instances you may see the next speed limit shown as 100 MPH. This is due to slight "gaps" which have crept in when defining the speed limits.

In a couple of places you may notice little "milk bottles" indicating missing scenery items. This is due to missing gorse bushes. These were originally offered as a free download from RSDL then included in the IOW pack. However they were not included with the core Railworks product and attempts to substitute via RW Tools using the similar items from the IOW proved unsuccessful. The process of replacing track has also lost the reverb effect passing through tunnels which proved impractical to put back in.

I hope you enjoy this little route."

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. KeithG

KeithG Member

Downloaded and liked. The updates have really brought this route back to life.
    Many thanks
    Keith

• Like Like x 1
  3. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hi, thank you so much for this, I was just driving this route a few months ago thinking how nice it would be for someone to revamp it given the next to nonexistent Norwegian content in the game.

I do have 1-2 favours to ask though. Could you please, please include AP weather on the route? It's so much better than the default weather. Also, what happened to the station signs? They are no longer visible on this version even though they were there before.

I have included the original Assets, this should help you install the station signs hopefully :)

Also, I am looking to create station signs for Roa-Honefoss, a Norwegian route created by a third party that I am looking to revamp, do you think you could help me out? I can send you a link to download that route, if you want.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  4. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

If you read through the manual on AP weather, it tells you how to put it onto a route yourself :) - Since this is a workshop item now, AP weather can not be included in the package.

As to the station signs - same issue. No custom assets on workshop at this time. (As it has been since the workshops beginnings for TSC back in the rail works days)

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately as I pointed out in the route notes you cannot include any items in Workshop routes that are not part of core or Steam DLC assets. That precludes custom station signs or any other user created assets.As regards AP weather, not sure if this can be accessed via Wherry Lines which I do own via Steam, but I do not want to increase the number of products required to run the route beyond those necessary.

6. KTL_Rob Powell

Wherry lines 1.0 was the precursor to the weather EP and contained its own set of custom weather blue prints and TOD files I believe.

7. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Wherry Lines exists independently of AP weather. With that being said, since this is a workshop route, I'm wondering if we're even "allowed" to include AP weather.

8. KTL_Rob Powell

As you've been told by both myself and Vern, no we aren't. That being said, if Wherry 1.0 were to be added as a requirement you could make use of its weather patterns but honestly imho for what it is worth, its better to let scenario authors add it as a dependency for their scenarios than add another one to the route itself.

9. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok so what can I do in this specific case if I want AP weather?

10. OldVern

Believe me I would love to see the Workshop parameters expanded, as I posted in Suggestions the other day. However realistically it's not going to happen as it would already have done so. DTG just don't want to open themselves up to rights disputes (say) someone were to upload the 3D Trains (Marc Nelson) foliage assets - which are going to have to be removed from my next update project, Tanigumi - or the chance an irresponsible route builder, no matter how unlikely, might decide to name their stations with variations on words beginning with F and C.

The best hope might be one day DTG doing like N3V DLS and having an official download site linked to the game which will automatically grab any assets needed. However again if that was going to happen, they would have done so already.

So it's either routes with custom and third party assets hosted on sites which could be here one day or gone tomorrow, or more limited with the reasonable guarantee of long term security provided by the Workshop.

However it would be nice if DTG were to brew up a pack of renameable station signs in various styles and colours, which would get around that particular issue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

It's ok, I am aware of this and I am still very thankful for your work nontheless. Now I just have to figure out on my own how to apply AP weather to your route. I will add the station signs myself.

12. KTL_Rob Powell

The manual says the following:

"How to Apply to Other Routes DISCLAIMER: This advice is given on a no-support basis and assumes some prior knowledge. We recommend you only attempt this if you are confident in your knowledge of Train Simulator folder structures.
    1) Go to the assets folder for the relevant route and find the folder called ‘TimeOfDay’. If there is no folder called this, find the ‘template’ blueprint for the route which is usually in a folder called ‘TemplateRoutes’. Open this blueprint and see where the TimeOfDay blueprints are located and go there.
    2) Go to your RailWorks directory and navigate to Assets\AP\WeatherEP\TimeOfDay.
    3) Copy the four .bin files in this folder named after each season and paste them into the TimeOfDay folder of your chosen route. If the naming convention differs for the relevant route, re-name accordingly so the new files match the naming of the old. "

13. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I know this procedure and have done it with other routes many times before but the thing is the Sulitjelma doesn't have a TimeofDay file. I suspect the TimeofDay is taken from another route's ToD but I have no idea which one, that's what I would need to find out.

14. OldVern

Just checked the routeproperties.xml and Time Of Day is present.

It's the original Kuju default:
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">Kuju</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">RailSimulatorCore</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">TimeOfDay\Default.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Ok but that's weird because my Kuju has AP weather so this route should have AP weather too even if it was built back in 2010 when AP didn't exist. Normally there should be a seperate TimeofDay file but sometimes some routes don't have a TimeofDay file for their route and use a file from another route so when ToD is modified in that seperate file on a seperate route, it is automatically modified in another route that is also using that seperate ToD.

16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

If you don't have the AP pack, Wherry Lines TimeOfDay files will do the trick nicely - and they are compatible with standard Weather.

17. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I have both but I still have default Kuju weather on this route..

18. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

So long since I subscribed to anything on Workshop, I'm really struggling!

Searched for "Sulitjelma" on Steam and nothing came up.

Can some kind soul provide a link to remind me how to find the Workshop! TIA....

19. inversnecky

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  21. inversnecky

Thanks, Reef.

Steam isn’t really the easiest site to find things on.

22. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Which vegetation (trees) do you use for the route? At times it feels really empty when it comes to trees.

23. alistaircowell

alistaircowell Active Member