PC Surprise: Working Pis Screens Secretly Added To West Cornwall Local!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TimTri, Dec 29, 2022.

1. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I just played West Cornwall Local for the first time in a while and was completely shocked to find fully functioning PIS screens at the stations! I haven’t found any discussion on this, so has nobody really noticed this before? When was this added? I have so many questions! :D

Now… this may have been added unintentionally as the implementation seems to be in a slightly unfinished state. Some stations like St. Erth work flawlessly. But others have problematic screens - such as St. Austell, where the screen at Platform 1 appears to incorrectly display the services from Platform 3, and another screen just shows a white blob. Furthermore, the surface texture of all screens appears to be a bit bugged, with a huge indentation appearing in the lower right. However, this may well be intentional as I doubt all these screens looked pristine in reality back then.

I may have to repost this once the devs get back to work so we can get an official comment on this, but I just thought I’d get the news out there as soon as possible. By the way, I’m playing on a PS4 with the newest patch installed.

Pictures below:

First off, two examples of perfectly working PIS screens at St. Erth station, showing the correct departures for their respective platforms.
    upload_2022-12-29_1-22-29.jpeg upload_2022-12-29_1-22-29.jpeg

Last but not least, two broken screens at St. Austell. One shows a white square, while the other only shows the departures for Platform 3 despite being located at Platform 1. The indentation I mentioned is nicely visible on the latter one.
    upload_2022-12-29_1-22-29.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-29_1-29-48.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

How have I not noticed it?
    I'll have to fire up the WCL when I get a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

Its not on steam :-(

4. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

There’s no way they accidentally released this on some of the platforms and not others :o

I posted this in the PC Discussion assuming it would be available on all platforms. Well, let’s hope we can get the attention of the devs once they’re back from their well-deserved holidays so we can get this fixed!

Edit: My theory is that this is part of an update for WCL to go along with Rivet’s UK expansion pack that was teased a few days ago.
    Would be cool if people on different platforms could check if the PIS screens are working for them and let us know in this thread. So far, we have:
    • PS4: Working
    • Steam: Not working
    • Xbox Series S: Not working

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  5. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Nice find, yea defo not on PC (Steam), played the route the other day and did make a point at looking at them.

6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Any improvements to the missing scenery? I only play the route at night or in rain or fog as the scenery doesn’t resemble West Cornwall!!

I will have to have a look at the implemented PIS.

7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Scenery rarely gets improved once a route has released. There is a wcl revisited mod that adds more scenery elements such as lineside vegetation and some other scenery changes

8. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I’ll do another service on the route and check out the scenery soon. Only played a scenario at night yesterday and then spawned on foot to get proper pictures of the departure screens.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you Timtri

10. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Since nobody who also has the PIS displays commented on this post, I’ve decided to record some videos in order to be able to show the whole route to you guys.

Just did a run in a 150 from Penzance to St. Austell, made an effort to show the PIS screens at the stations, film the scenery and show all kinds of features and buttons in case more unknown improvements were made to the route. Also recorded the service numbers and rolling stock selection in the main menu in case things have changed there. The run took over an hour and I actually had to edit it down to 60 minutes by speeding up some of the more boring sections since my old PS4 doesn’t allow me to export longer videos ;).
    That video is currently rendering, and while it uploads, I‘m planning to record a quick St. Ives branch run so that part of the route is covered as well.

The scenery did indeed seem much better than I remembered… but that may just be some placebo effect. Anyways, I’m happy to report that PIS screens are present at all stations, and more than 95% of them are functioning correctly. I‘ll keep you updated!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The videos are here! Enjoy the footage :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Does the 150 sound like it should now?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I actually don’t drive the 150 too often and am not familiar with how the sounds should be, which is partly why I uploaded the videos so you can see for yourself! I also included extensive views of the scenery as well as the service selection in case any changes were made in those areas.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rennekton#1349

The sounds have been improved. I play on steam and I remember in the previous version if I put it on max throttle, there was a really audible engine pulsing noise which occurred until you reached the engine sound transition speed at around 74kmh in the video. You could literally hear it in external and internal view and it wasn't pleasant to listen to it at all. Based on the videos above, the audible engine pulsing is no longer there. There also used to other weird groaning noises caused by the train and that doesn't seem to be that prominent now. Another change they seem to have made is notch 4 no longer maxes out your revs. In the video, you can see Tim go from notch 4 to 7 and the engine rpm goes up accordingly

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Bravo2six

Update:
    It's not on steam, so must be a console only update and fix.
    Hopefully PC will come soon

16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Here are some quick and dirty scenery comparisons. I used the preview stream from 2021 as a counterpart because there are quite a lot of external camera views in there. These are by no means exact comparisons, but they all show the same exact locations, which should at least allow us to find out whether the scenery has been updated.

The old version is always on top, and the new one is below. I should also note that my footage was taken on a PS4, so the graphics are obviously no the best. This is just about the scenery itself.
    Here we go…

Comparison 1
    7517AFE1-9EFA-479F-894A-2B187F096D8B.jpeg

Comparison 2
    21C68FA3-3BAB-4DC7-B6D5-1B9347190909.jpeg

Comparison 3
    06C3BB9A-8CE5-4FBD-B721-745E614821C3.jpeg

Conclusion: It doesn’t seem like the scenery has been touched in these areas. However, I have honestly found a newfound appreciation for the atmosphere of the route nonetheless. I don’t know if it’s just my general mood, or if they changed some of the graphical shaders, but it seems much nicer to me than before for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I remember seeing the same bridge about 50 times during the preview stream. Is that still a thing? Not had time to watch the videos yet.

18. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

No changes on the series x

• Like Like x 1
  19. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I’ve haven’t got this route or seen anyone playing it but those photos look like ‘work-in-progress’ development shots

20. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I agree, this route has a nice rural ambient, similar to WSR. It's not hectic like some urban routes, very nice for a relaxing drive. I've never understood why it received so much criticism...I always found it a solid built, if a little under-developed in certain areas.

• Like Like x 3
  21. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Looks like it’s really just on PlayStation after all. Thanks for letting us know!

22. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

No worries

23. Bravo2six

they're last gen console screenshots, so they were never going to be top quality.

24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely, I mentioned that in my comment. Time of day is also different, so everything looks different naturally. Mainly tried to find out whether the amount of scenery assets is the same… which seems to be the case.

• Like Like x 1
  25. a.paice

I play last gen and there are plenty of amazing looking routes.
    I don’t really see that as an excuse tbh.

I’m sure it looks better from the cab view.

26. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

To be honest those screenshots really aren't a very good representation of what the route looks like and as you say it is much, much better from the cab.

27. a.paice

Good to hear

• Like Like x 1
  28. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Exactly. I just looked for moments where the scenery was visible in both videos. There weren’t a lot, so I had to include rather ugly screenshots :D if you look at my video alone, there are many amazingly beautiful moments even on last gen!

• Like Like x 1
  29. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

So class 150 on YouTube that show you how it should sound

30. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Ap class 150 YouTube that shows you correct audio

31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

No working PIS evident on a run from St Austell, so far to Hayle. Playing on PC.

The 150 still sounds awful, what is that awful screeching on even slightly curved track.
    It has gone from being hopelessly overpowered to hopelessly underpowered and struggles to climb hills and keep time.
    On a night drive there is a strange brightness occlusion on the cab interior (cab light off) which then vanishes going through tunnels with the cab then pitch black.
    The footbridge sign at Truro on the Up Side still spells Penzance as lower case penzance.
    Haven't been on the Ives branch yet but would bet my boots they never fixed the erroneous 20 MPH restriction in the Up direction which was only supposed to apply over a foot crossing before resuming line speed, 30 MPH.

Still, driving in the dark you don't notice the dire scenery but then again there isn't much life or light in the towns and Truro to indicate you are actually in a populated area.

• Like Like x 1
  32. rennekton#1349

Yea cuz it's only been unintentionally released on playstation only. Until it officially gets released, pc and xbox players won't get it

• Like Like x 1
  33. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There is a decent patch for the class 150 on the train simulator community site. A official fix would be nice too.

I wish you could get rid of those stupid layers, passing a blue class 47 with a rake of mark 2a's without a brake vehicle is irritating to say the least. I haven't been unlucky enough to see a class 40 in 1990's West Cornwall yet.

I had heard someone on here a long time ago DTG were looking at selectable layers. Not seen anything about it myself.

34. OldVern

I think I might have tried the mod but, and no offence to its author, I couldn't get on with the overdone track joint effect.

• Like Like x 2
  35. OldVern

In the end I just couldn't take the abominable Rivet sound mix either, so put the mod back on!

• Like Like x 1
  36. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Looks like the PIS screens as well as the changed engine performance of the Class 150 should now be available to everybody following today’s patch! :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. rennekton#1349

In my opinion, the 150 is much more pleasant to drive since the audio and therefore physics issues that were bothering me are no longer there. It might not please everyone but I'm really enjoying the new 150. Scenery doesn't really bother me but the driving experience is much better for me

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. OldVern

That sounds encouraging...
    But first I have to beat the scenario on CRR I mentioned elsewhere and sample the revised steam physics in SoS.

39. rennekton#1349

I wouldn't say the 150 is amazing or that there has been a big improvement. Like I said, some people still won't like the dlc. Regardless, still a much better experience for me compared to before.

40. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That’s very nice to hear!