Switching Lead Train (sd40-2)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by haeriphos, Sep 3, 2022.

1. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

Greetings,

I'm running the Thorn local in Cajon in TSW3 and it looks like it wants me to drive the train in reverse from Victorville to Thorn. I'd rather setup the "rear" SD40-2 to be the new lead engine so that I can see where I'm going. So my question is how do I switch which engine is lead in a back-to-back setup of SD40-2s?

On the original lead, I removed the reverser handle, set the MU to trail, put the automatic brake into handle off, switched the headlight control on the top control panel, cutout the dynamic brake, adjusted the lights, and released the independent.

On the new lead loco I ensured we were in Freight braking, changed to MU to lead, cut in the dynamics, ensured the generator was on, inserted the reverser handle, etc. But no matter what I tried, I could not get the new lead loco to generate any amps when I increased the throttle. Checked my breakers, even shut it down and started it back up.

Does anyone have a procedure for doing this correctly? Thanks!

2. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

Quick thought….
    On back wall, isolation switch set to run?

3. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

Yep, both set to run.

4. Cellersaver

Cellersaver New Member

I'm a Freight Guy and this is something I learned way back when I started driving trains (when there were manuals). These instructions are from the CN Oakville but I believe the settings are pretty standard.

Setting up the Electro-Motive GP38-2 & GP9RM for Multiple Unit Working As MU Lead Ensure the locomotives have been fully set up as per the Electro-Motive GP38-2 & GP9RM start-up instructions if required. Once the locomotives are operational then you can set them up for Multiple Unit working. The start-up instructions will set the locomotive up to be suitable for leading a consist or being the sole locomotive in a consist. The key settings to be aware of, should you need to change a locomotive from trailing back to lead, are as shown below. These three switches enable the power controllers (e.g. Throttle) to work: Engine Run: ON Generator Field: ON Control & Fuel Pump: ON These three valves control whether the brake handles operate the brakes on the train: Brake Cut-off Valve: FREIGHT MU-2A Valve: LEAD OR DEAD As MU Trail
    When setting up the EMD GP38-2 or GP9RM in a non-lead position you have several options depending on which role you want it to play in the consist: No Power, No Brakes or “Dead in Tow” This is useful if you are towing a completely cold and dark locomotive. In this instance, set the control stand up as follows: Engine Run: ON Generator Field: ON Control & Fuel Pump: ON Brake Cut-off Valve: CUT-OUT MU-2A Valve: LEAD OR DEAD Note: If the locomotive engine is not started then the first three switches are not important. However, if the engine is running and you just want it to sit in idle, then setting them to ON means they will ignore all signals from the lead locomotive and remain in idle. 10
    No Power, Full Brakes Engine Run: ON Generator Field: ON Control & Fuel Pump: ON Brake Cut-off Valve: CUT-OUT MU-2A Valve: TRAIL 6 OR 26 In this configuration, the power controls in the locomotive have control over the engine so the lead unit will not be able to operate it remotely. This will mean that it remains at idle and does not contribute any power to the consist. The brake settings cut out the brake handle and set it up to be driven by a connected unit in the “Lead or Trail” configuration (which your lead unit should be set to). This means the locomotive will supply additional brake force to your train.
    Power and Full Brakes Engine Run: OFF Generator Field: OFF Control & Fuel Pump: OFF Brake Cut-off Valve: CUT-OUT MU-2A Valve: TRAIL 6 OR 26 In this configuration, we disable the control stand for the power controls which will allow the lead unit to have full control over the power of this locomotive. As the lead unit applies throttle positions, the internal electronics of this locomotive’s stand will do the same. Brakes are also set up to be managed by the lead unit.
    Distributed Power In this configuration, you have a consist set up with locomotives that are not directly connected, such as when you have a locomotive set at the front and another set at the rear. This requires a slightly different configuration to ensure that all locomotives function correctly in the consist. The radio is therefore used to operate the rear locomotive. If you have an example consist with a pair of EMD GP38-2s at the front and a pair of EMD GP38-2s at the rear, you would need to set them up as follows: Front Pair Lead Unit: Set up as Lead and ensure the radio fuse is on Trailing Unit: Set up as Trail 11 Rear Pair Lead Unit: Set up as Lead and ensure the radio fuse is on Trailing Unit: Set up as Trail In this configuration when the engineer makes a throttle or brake change on the front pair lead unit, the front trailing unit will respond because it is physically connected. At the same time, a radio message is sent (this is not audible to the player) which the rear pair lead unit will react to and will follow the same settings. This will then be automatically reflected on the rear pair trailing unit through its direct connection. This system is intended to mimic the behaviour of a second engineer in the rear pair leading unit who is following the actions of the lead engineer. When set up in this way, the engineer at the front of the train has full control over all four locomotives simultaneously.

Sorry about the length and the original formatting missing but this covers a very important part of train setup.

Cellersaver

• Like Like x 3
  5. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

Thanks Cellersaver this worked great! I swear it's the same settings I had when I was trying originally, but when I used the procedure in a fresh start of the scenario I was able to switch the lead engine around without any problem. Not sure if I missed something or ran into a bug the first time around. I wish DTG would add more advanced content like this to their training center.

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm curious - - - why not just drive to Victorville in reverse, as per instructions?

7. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

The instructions are to drive all the way out to Thorn, not just the Victorville yard.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Same question still applies, as far as I can see. I haven't tried this run yet, but will give it a look soon. However, driving fairly long distances in reverse is not unusual in any of the TSW versions.

9. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

The setup for this move is two locos in the front towing the consist. The locos are facing opposite directions (pretty typical for a switcher or local). But for the move from Cemex to Thorn you're driving from the second locomotive back, thus you're staring out your "front" window at the consist that you're hauling and have no way to watch the tracks in front of the train's direction of travel. I don't know the specifics of the FRA rules in this situation, but I think that this would be considered a shove and so you'd need your conductor up front to watch out ahead for you and BNSF rules would prevent you from exceeding 20 MPH. So, I would set the lead car up to be the power and isolate or MU the second car -- that way the engineer can see where he's going.

But for the purposes of TSW, you're right -- the consist is perfectly drivable in reverse the whole way. I just prefer to use the sim in a more real-world prototypical fashion when able.

10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not put both on lead or dead configuration since it works for GP38-2 SD40-2 Sand Patch grade Cumberland Yard. Also a BNSF double SD40-2.

11. haeriphos

haeriphos New Member

I'll give that a try too.

12. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

It happened to me the first time!

The way to set it is the same with Sand Patch Grade. However, the back panel has an extra dynamic brake cut-off switch that needs to be switched on. Once I switched that on, then the amps start building when I put on the throttle.

13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I did that many times on Sand Patch Grade and it works for me now regarding the
    You only turn it on on the locomotive you are using at the moment.Then switch it off if you need to use the Front locomotive or rear SD40-2