Tehachapi Pass Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by jigbobby, Jul 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jigbobby

jigbobby New Member

Particularly in the scenario Hot Box #2, when descending toward Mojave the train has almost no brakes. I can stop dead then start going again and even with 99% air brake, 100% dynamic brakes and 99% loco brake the train will not maintain its speed. Dynamic brake application does not show in the amperage display under the speed. Impossible to descend the grade without speeding. Also, the yellow speed limit indicators in the lower display are too close together to read at times.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

FWIW I got that sucker rolling at 101 mph, somehow didn't derail :o and stopped in Mojave using the Emergency brake :D
    In reply to a ticket I launched which included the ES44 lack of brakes I was notified that DTG are aware of the issue.

I can only hope that a fix is forthcoming in a timely fashion..

I obtained this - Railworks_Kuju_GE_ES44AC_Physics_Mod_Pack which I have used on other routes/scenarios - I wonder if it could somehow be applied to the Tehachapi Pass ES44 locomotive as an interim fix??

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I think taking the brake files from the Hi-Line, Stevens Pass, or Marias Pass ES44 is the better fix, as all of those are the same model as the Tehachapi BNSF ES44.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Somebody who owns one of the other models along with Tehachapi could swap the engines and see if they are able to control the train downhill - but I wonder if the fault is with the wagons?
    The loco brakes might be working but if the wagon brakes are not up to spec that might be a problem

6. denisys

denisys New Member

I swapped out the loco for an identical one in Montanna Hiline and the brakes then worked correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I gathered it would work considering it's the same loco which has all of it associated files that make it work. Unlike the one included in Tehachapi Pass.

8. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Hmm.. Could some kind soul detail what is involved in that process please? Unpack the Hi line ap file then copy the Railvehicles folder with the bnsf es44 over to Tehachapi?

9. denisys

denisys New Member

I just used the scenario editor, obviously you have to change the scenario from a Career to standard.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Having unpacked the High Line file there should be Simulation file(s) as a sub folder of the engine files

Try those first

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. m.matri

m.matri New Member

An other problem is a scenario High priority #2. If you are on delay with your train, you hit a runaway train coming in front of you, in Calienté station.
    I had 2 yellow at signal post when I arrived in the station (Velocity about 6 miles/h).The other train was coming in front of mine, but it did not stop before its red signal ! Gost driver ?
    I think the traffics and locomotives of this add-on were not well tested !

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  12. OCIAldersbrook

OCIAldersbrook New Member

Hi all, I am new to the form, I hope you will forgive me if I say something out of place. I recently got the Tehachapi Pass in a sale and gave it a try. I had the same problems as everyone else with Hot Box #2, so I read the info on the forum. After Hot Box #1 and moving to the second loco which worked fine I thought I would try the same in Hot Box #2, but there were no controls working. The only other thing that I got from the forum was setting hand brakes on the wagons. When I got to a flat stretch about 10 miles before Mojave I stopped and applied hand brakes on the first 6 wagons, pulled the train onto the down slope, applied 79% train brake and used the dynamic brake to keep the speed between 15 and 20 mph. Slow going but worked like a dream. I got a gold star and an achievement award. I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. OCIAldersbrook

OCIAldersbrook New Member

Thank you Torfmeister. I need to amend the numbers in my post, sorry I said set train brake to 75%, l meant train pipe pressure 75 psi. Train brake handle at 35%, this should give 27 on the brake cylinders. This allows plenty of scope for stopping at Mojave yard.

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I found it interesting how the fix actually works and to see what went wrong and caused this issue.

It works now, although cylinder presssure rises rather slowly, but that's ok. I wish I'd find a tool to uncompile the lua ".out" scripts, no luck so far.

For evaluation and comparison I use Run8 V2 which has correct braking behaviour and working EOTDs. For that you'll only need to buy the base package, as there is placeholders for rolling stock you haven't bought yet, which have the physics and size of the corresponding cars, just the model and texture are replaced by a default one, so you can join multiplayer sessions not requiring you to have all DLC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Is the American air brake system different to the European version?

In the UK/EU we set the Brake Pressure to 72.5 (5 Bar) and the brakes are fully released
    A reduction to 65psi (4.5 bar) and lower applies the brakes

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

US freight operates with 90psi on the brake pipe, initial reduction is 84psi. Passenger trains use 110psi.
    And because of the train length and speed of air propagation you have to think ahead and be careful.

In Germany you have 5 bar (72.5psi), same as in the UK. Just the airflow is reduced to not put too much strain on the couplers for heavy goods trains (Brake mode "G"), applying the brakes slowly. Those trains are not allowed to go faster than 105km/h / 65mph and will run in PZB mode "U" with the leftmost of the three blue lights being on (55/70/85). That means if you pass a distant signal showing a warning aspect (yellow or green/yellow) or a reduced speed sign with a 1000Hz magnet the train must slow down to below 55km/h within 38 seconds, if not the emergency brakes will apply. And additionally 250 m ahead of a red signal there's a 500Hz magnet which will be active and you have to pass it with a speed below 45 km/h and then have 150 meters to brake down to 25km/h. And if you somehow manage to pass a red signal, a 2000Hz magnet will tell the PZB to stop the train by emergency.
    The magnets are fail safe in a way that if they do not work or are sabotaged the train will be stopped by PZB.

Off topic now... :cool:

18. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

We should not need to get the fix from a third party page.
    The fix should be uploaded on Steam as many other fixes been uploaded to.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Well, it's surely better than no fix at all? Enables you to enjoy the game. Everybody has access to this. And there is al lot of very skilled people out there doing the job for free.

And if you are interested only in "official" fixes, you should play and test your DLC immediately after download for the time you are allowed to get a refund. Then get a refund and rebuy when the issues are fixed. Up to you.

And saying "it should", "it should not" is not helping anybody. Create tickets. Get a refund. And maybe miss out some great content that might have been fixed by some 3rd party.

MSTS was kept alive by the community and so is Train Simulator. No one forces you to download the fix.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Here's my interpretation on this, torfmeister. "I THINK" ...trainsimplayer was asking for you to upload the fix to Steam - presumably the Workshop - but it did come across as a bit rude IMO. I don't believe he was saying that DTG should implement the fix (it would be nice if DTG did update their products yes, of course!). I presume he has an issue with accessing other forums in the Train Simulator community for some reason. I could be wrong of course!

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

As I was understanding trainsimplayer2020 is not comfortable with 3rd party fixes (see Köblitz thread).
    So my intention was to help him simply appreciate that there is so much content and fixes available from 3rd parties. You can't change other people but you can change your own attitude. And DTG are known for their handling of issues, and I have been criticising that too.

Then how would you upload a fix to Steam? The workshop only allows scenarios and routes, being strict on original content for good reason.

I think this forum is the premier place and DTG might consider applying those patches and distribute them which is not my job or responsibility. I just do what I can.

Btw what comes to my mind. Many questions are being asked over and over again, as new players come to TS every day. Threads get lost in time. I was thinking of building a comprehensive wiki containing Routes, Rolling Stock, Scenarios, Known Issues and Workarounds, Patches and Fixes.

22. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I have no idea! :D I was just providing my take on tsp2020's post
    I do thank you for doing what you can :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

There was an update/fix for japanese route a week ago or so and that update you got downloaded through Steam so why should it be a problem here?

24. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

That update is there because many people reported it as a game-breaking issue. I created a ticket, wrote an email to Union Workshop describing the issue and a possible solution, then Cyclone also contacted them. They replied that they'll report that to DTG. So the devs contacted the publisher and they took action. It was mainly in Union Workshop's interest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1