Tehachapi Pass

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Whambo, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Whambo

Whambo New Member

From the city of Bakersfield, CA another eastbound train begins its fight against gravity - the struggle to conquer the Tehachapi Mountains. Thundering through Algoso and Edison, the Engineer knows what is ahead. Through Ilmon and around to Caliente, where the train doubles-back on itself, surrounding the small township. Through tunnels 1 and 2, man and machine pass through Bealville, before finding their way to tunnel 3. After exiting tunnel 5 [tunnel 4 no longer exists], the engineer can look down from where once came, down to Bealville and Caliente bellow. Along the side of the mountain they continue, through tunnels 7 and 8 towards Rowen, and further Keene. Through Woodford, around the bend, and there it is. The world famous Tehachapi Loop. Here the as the Engineer crosses over the top of tunnel 9, he is able to look down as the mid-train helper units pass underneath. Continuing on through tunnel 10, Marcel, tuneels 14, 15, 16 and 17, before reaching Cable. The train blasts through the town of Tehachapi, through summit, and speeds towards Monolith. Onwards to Cameron, then Mojave, where the line splits. Eastwards toward Barstow, or south towards Cajon.

Granted this route would run around 150mi, I think it would provide an interesting, fun and challenging option to the PC-bound Engineer. My preference would be to have it set in the 90's era, although anytime from 1876 to present is possible.

Operators of the time are Union Pacific, Southern Pacific and the ATSF. Locomotives from BN and DRGW would also be known to make appearances. Loads would include intermodal, trailer, grain, coal, sugarbeet, and the famous SP oil cans. Amtrak has also ran diverted services over the line.

Specifically locomotives would include GP/SD40's, GP/SD40-2s, SD40T-2, SD45, SD45T-2, F45, FP45, GP/SD50's, SD60s, SD70's, -7s, -8s, -9s and AC4400s.

• Like Like x 6
  2. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

One of our very favourite US lines right here.

Certainly not going to rule this one out, stay tuned...

- Jay

• Like Like x 3
  3. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

I doubt Tehachapi Pass will be done for Train Sim World (at least from Dovetail Games) because 3DTrains is making a payware version for Train Simulator 2018 and the BNSF licensing restriction is still in effect.

Also, Tehachapi Pass been done too many times in other train simulation games. I'd like to see routes that haven't been done to death for Train Sim World, like Union Pacific's Caliente Sub from Las Vegas to Caliente in Nevada. That's never been done in any train simulation game as far as I know and it's 100% Union Pacific, so that means no licensing issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Seeing as Jay just said to not rule this out as a possibility, I'm inclined to believe it has at least been discussed. Upvoted both posts .. why even downvote?

I would, personally, love to see this route done. Your suggestion for UP's Caliente Sub has merit, I'm sure. I am always down for more US based routes.

5. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Well, a list of possibilities is one thing, but getting permission to use a railroad's name and logos are quite another. So whether you love or hate Tehachapi Pass (personally, I like it as a route in the real world, but not enough to see it in Train Sim World), it can't happen due to legal reasons that Dovetail Games doesn't want to get into based on their DLC production for Train Simulator 2018 and Train Sim World.

6. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to where you're getting this information?

7. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

Considering that the non-USA version of Clear Creek Narrow Gauge and the The Racetrack: Aurora - Chicago had unbranded rolling stock I'd say even without license it's not impossible that we will get the route in TSW.
    Or maybe DTG will eventually come to an agreement with BNSF. They finally aquired a Virgin Trains license recently too.
    I don't really understand why some companies don't want to work with them anyway though. Isn't this more or less free advertisement? For example I knew almost nothing about CSX and GWR before playing TSW. So I'd say that at least in my case the games work pretty well as an advertisement for the company.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yeah, acting like BNSF is poison is a bad attitude. Acting like they don't exist is worse, and that is what I see a lot of people doing. There is nothing stopping DTG from making BNSF DLC, so don't act like it.

9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Like everyone else I would like to see DTG and BNSF sit down and work out a agreement. As there should no reason why this cannot happen. There is a lot of workshop content I cannot do anything with as it requires BNSF routes/content for which anyone outside the US cannot get access too.

So I am hoping that something can be done soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

If Tehachapi is made, it needs to be in the SP era, either the 1950s & 60s, or the 70s to the 90s. Black Widow diesels could be cool, too. I think that for a vintage route version, we need an SD7 or SD9 "Cadillac," an FM Trainmaster , a GP7 or GP9, an F7 or FP7 (A and B units), or an ALCO PA-1 (A and B units).

The modern version needs an SD45, an SD40T-2 or SD45T-2, a C44-9W, and a GP35, GP40, or GP60.

• Like Like x 2