Tgv On Gwe. My New Favourite Thing!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Djb1990, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

Just messing with the scenario designer and decided to try running the TGV on the great Western main line, ignoring the speed limits and just going as quick as I can.

Managed reading to paddington in just over 14 minutes! Probably could've done it quicker but I lost my nerve and started braking for paddington way too early ;P

Flying past buildings and bridges and whizzing through stations at over 200mph made the tgv feel truly high speed.

Great fun indeed :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

Why not start from Paddington and see how high a speed you can reach when you SPAD at Reading?

3. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

It gets up to top speed pretty quick anyway. The tgv seems to stop accelerating at 330kph / 205mph though. Seems to be the same in the lgv route aswell.

Don't know if there is a way to get it faster or if that is it. I'm pretty sure I've seen footage of a tgv going way faster but maybe that is the limit for this particular model.

I have managed to get the ice upto 370kph / 230mph though, which is always fun ;p

4. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Wheee, that was fun! Train sim purists, better cover your eyes at this point, lol.

Inspired by this thread, I set up a scenario to run from Reading platform 10 to London Paddington platform 02, with an 8-car loaded TGV and no stops on the way. I too reached a top speed of 205 mph, but as I was driving I wondered what would happen if I pressed the emergency brakes. I wanted to see if I could glide gracefully to a stop at the platform, skidding in with a drink in each hand.

For this first run, I pressed the emergency brake button with exactly 2.0 miles remaining and ended up coming to a complete stop 396 yards from the platform. Theoretically, I should be able to calculate where I need to press the button to achieve the objective, but am too lazy, lol.

Oh, and that was spring weather, default settings (i.e. didn't change the weather using the timetable), with throttle to max and brakes fully off before hitting emergency stop. Scenario start time was 12:00.

Anyone up for trying some TGV races?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

lol. I don't really do this. Sort of a purist but couldn't resist:)
    Took me 3 mins to set up the train so no mistakes on launch, hit the emergency at 1.7.
    Unfortunately still going 27 mph at buffers so derailed but it was close. Next try will be with TGV ai on slow lines so got a bit of a race

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Just did another run, this time hitting the emergency brakes at 1.8 and stopped with 78.6 yards shy of the target, enough to finish the scenario at least.

7. Djb1990

Djb1990 Active Member

When I did the high speed test with the ice I tried to leave the braking as late as possible but ended up derailing as I came towards paddington. Can't remember how far away I was though so I may not have stopped in time anyway. Will have to give it another go and see where it derailed. ;P

I'm looking forward to getting South eastern high speed and chucking the 395 on the great western mainline to test its mettle ;P