Tgv Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by railz1017, Dec 2, 2018.

1. railz1017

railz1017 New Member

As I am driving the TGV, the cab display constantly beeps with different numbers...300, 270,220, etc. What is this and can I turn off the constant beeping or what am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!

2. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

This is the TVM 430 in cab signalling system used on France's Trains aux Grands Vitesses. Essentially, what it does is help the driver understand the speed limitations that are coming up. It also is used for stopping at stations and danger signals. As you probably have noticed, there are multiple blue squares with yellow triangles inside them along the route. These are the "signals" that transmit data from a control center to the train via the TVM 430 system. For example:

My train is travelling at 100 km/h approaching Blah-Blah-Whatever station. The TVM system will change to lower speeds as I pass these "signals." After the the next signal, the system says 080, so I therefore proceed to brake until reaching 80 km/h. If I am not under the 80 km/h envisaged limit before passing the next "signal," then I will get a penalty emergency brake application. Once I pass the final "signal" before reaching Blah-Blah-Whatever station's platform, the system will read 000 (or 0 km/h), indicating that I must stop before the next "signal," which is inevitably at the end of the platform. After getting cleared to depart Blah-Blah-Whatever by the control center, I can accelerate past the signal at the speed limit displayed by the TVM system.

Another example:

My train is travelling at 250 km/h and there is blockage due to a failed train ahead. Think of the "signals" as a "triple yellow," (I know, it's not a thing ;)) double yellow, yellow, and red British signals now. After passing the third "signal" (sometimes it's the fourth, depending on what the current speed limit) away from the "danger signal," the TVM system reads 200, and I decelerate to 200 km/h. Approaching the second "signal" (could be the third, if the bold text above in parentheses applies) away from the "danger signal," the TVM system reads 090, and I decelerate to 90 km/h. PLEASE NOTE: "Signals" aren't usually too close together unless it is in an area with typically low speed limits or on the approach to a large junction/station (i.e. Avignon or Paris - Gare de Lyon), so don't brake too quickly or you might be late for your next stop. The TVM system was created to avoid harsh braking and discomfort to passengers on board. BRAKE LIGHTLY! Now, after passing the last "signal" before the "danger signal," the TVM system will read 000, and I must brake until I come to a stop before the next "signal." Note that you can stop anywhere before the "danger signal," as long as the rear of your consist is past the previous "signal."

I hope this helps! :)

-JoeTransit

• Like Like x 2
  3. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, when you get a number higher than the previous one, you are cleared to accelerate to that limit.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What JoeTransit said, except...
    On the system used on the TGV and the High Speed lines in Kent if you have to slow down before the next signal the numbers will flash, and once you reach the next signal (when the speed limit comes into force) they will then either become static OR if a further speed reduction is required before the next signal then that speed will be displayed as a flashing number

Also to note, if you don't slow down sufficiently you will get a forced emergency break application to ZERO and will have to undergo the start sequence over again

5. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Thanks. I honestly only know a tiny bit of PZB/LZB, a bit of French systems, and the whole entire British AWS/TPWS/DSD systems. It's funny because I'm American and I can barely understand my own country's mechanisms. :)

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The good thing with the french TGV system is you don't have to look at the HUD or think about what the speed limit is because it's right there. They do have a different system for the slow speed lines though

7. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Yeah. I can't wait till the TER (Transport Express Regionale, or Regional Transport Express) comes out to TSW/TS!

8. bmonte

bmonte New Member

Hello guys, can anyone help me? I am a newbie and trying my best to master the TGV Duplex (since the manual provided is very basic on driving). My question is, if i apply the emergency brake, how do i get the train to start moving again? I tried everything, pressed every button but the train does not move. Thanks in advance for the help.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Check the Red Button (Emergency Brake) on the left side is not depressed

• Like Like x 1
  10. bmonte

bmonte New Member

Thank you for your reply. I have checked the red button, and it was not pressed. I also found online that many users are complaining about this and the problem still wasn’t fixed by Dovetail. I will try to master the TGV train and hopefully will not activate the emergency brakes.

Cheers

11. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Have you tried putting the train into it's cold start mode (the condition it's in when you first start driving it) and then setting it up again?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bmonte

bmonte New Member

All I did was lower the pantograph and clicked the green key to disconnect it and then started the train again, but did not work

13. merkava1967

merkava1967 New Member

Try resetting all driving aids (TVM, KVB, VACMA). That should resolve it.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

He might have solved the problem sometime in the last 16 Months as he did not post after Dec 8, 2018

Peter

• Like Like x 1