Train Sim World 3 The Bolton Corridor: Preston-manchester Victoria/piccadilly

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrainGeek08, Apr 16, 2023.

1. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Hey all, TrainGeek08 here, and today I am suggesting the Bolton Corridor for TSW3 as it will feature some new trains to the TSW franchise

This route and the LAMP process:
    As touched on in the April Roadmap, DTG shared how they pick routes for TSW3, this is by using the LAMP process:

L - Licensing
    A - Anticipation
    M - Mix
    P - Prominence

So how does the Bolton Corridor link into the LAMP process:

L - Two licenses are required for the trains, that being the Northern & TransPennine Express licenses, you already have the AWC license for station signage at Preston anyway so it shouldn't be a problem

A - Would the community anticipate this? Yes, but only if there is a variety of trains included and if the route itself was made to an acceptable standard, it could be compared to Edinburgh-Glasgow as both routes go between two major cities but a shorter variant of EDN

M - Yes, a mix in services can be possible on this route, as you have stopping services stopping at every station courtesy of Northern and semi-fast services only stopping at Bolton en-route (pick-up only northbound & set-down only southbound) courtesy of TransPennine Express

P - Is there anything impressive on the route? Yes there is, in Manchester specifically, in the era I'm suggesting it, the Ordsall Curve will be present, it is an absolutely striking structure which links Manchester's three city centre stations: Piccadilly, Oxford Road & Victoria without the need for the Metrolink tram system and it features part of the West Coast Main Line as well

Stock included in base route:

upload_2023-4-16_16-18-27.jpeg

The British Rail Class 331 'Civity' EMU

upload_2023-4-16_16-19-3.jpeg

And the British Rail Class 397 'Civity' EMU

(It's CAF heaven lol :D)

Training (In Training Center):
    Class 331 Introduction
    Class 397 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Airport Express: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive this TPE 397 service from Preston to Manchester Piccadilly express, being bound for the Airport

Bolton Turnaround: (Difficulty - 3)
    Drive a Northern 331 from Manchester Victoria to Bolton and back as engineering works have plagued the line to Preston

Broken Civity: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a Northern 331 from Preston to retrieve a broken-down TPE 397 service bound for Glasgow and take it back to Preston

Manchester Shuttle: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive this TPE 397 from Manchester Piccadillly to Manchester Victoria, but the Ordsall Curve is closed, how are you gonna get into Victoria then?

Timetable:
    2019 Working Timetable

Potential DLC, Layers & Stations coming up on Pages 2 & 3...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  2. TrainGeek08

Page 2:

Potential DLC:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 195 'Civity' DMU

Training (In Training Center):
    Class 195 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Barrow Bound: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a Northern 195 from Manchester Oxford Road to Preston on a service bound for Barrow-in-Furness

Proud to be Northern: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a Northern 195 from Preston to Manchester Victoria as Piccadilly is closed for engineering works

This Civity's a Storm: (Difficulty - 4)
    Drive this Northern 195 from Preston to Manchester Piccadilly whilst following one of it's electric sisters and in a violent thunderstorm

Layers:
    upload_2023-4-16_16-32-52.jpeg

The British Rail Class 150 in Northern livery for local services from Wigan North Western (Bolton) to Manchester

[​IMG]

The British Rail Class 66 'Shed' (not you again, don't start :D) in EWS livery for AI freight to/from Trafford Park Euroterminal (seen between Deansgate & Manchester Piccadilly)

Stations:

Preston:
    [​IMG]

Preston railway station in Preston, Lancashire, England, is an interchange railway station on the West Coast Main Line, half-way between London Euston and Glasgow Central (206 miles from London Euston, 194 miles from Glasgow Central). It is served by Avanti West Coast, Northern Trains and TransPennine Express services, plus Caledonian Sleeper overnight services between London and Scotland. It is also served by the Calder Valley line to Leeds and York, and by branch lines to Blackpool, Ormskirk, and Colne.

Leyland:
    [​IMG]

Leyland railway station serves the town of Leyland in Lancashire, England. It was formerly "Golden Hill", the name of the street and area in which the station is based, but was renamed Leyland soon after opening. The original station was built in 1838, with two platforms.

Buckshaw Parkway:
    [​IMG]

Buckshaw Parkway is a British railway station which opened on 3 October 2011 on the Manchester to Preston Line, near Euxton Junction with the West Coast Main Line. It is one of Euxton's two railway stations being in Buckshaw Village, formerly the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF Chorley) between Chorley and Leyland. It is close to the site of the four-platform Chorley ROF Halt, which was closed in 1964, remained virtually intact until the 1970s, but was finally cleared in the early 2000s.

Chorley:
    [​IMG]

Chorley railway station serves the town of Chorley in Lancashire, England. Since 2004 it has been linked with Chorley Interchange bus and coach station. It is on the Manchester–Preston line.

Adlington:
    upload_2023-4-16_16-42-40.jpeg

Adlington railway station serves the village of Adlington, near Chorley in Lancashire, England. It is a two-platform station on the Bolton- Chorley- Preston line. This is part of the Northern service link between Preston and Manchester via Bolton and Chorley.

Blackrod:
    [​IMG]

Blackrod railway station serves the towns of Blackrod and Horwich, Greater Manchester, England. It is 6.5 miles (10 km ) north west of Bolton railway station. It is just 1+1⁄4 miles (2.0 km) from the town centre of Horwich - closer than Horwich Parkway station.

Horwich Parkway:
    [​IMG]

Horwich Parkway is a railway station serving the town of Horwich and suburb of Middlebrook in Greater Manchester, England. The station is 16+1⁄4 miles (26.2 km) north west of Manchester Piccadilly on the Manchester to Preston line. The station is close to Junction 6 of the M61 motorway which adds to its convenience as a park and ride railway station. It has digital information displays.

Lostock:
    [​IMG]

Lostock railway station serves the suburbs of Heaton and Lostock in Bolton, Greater Manchester, England. Built for the Liverpool and Bury Railway in 1852, the station was closed in 1966, then reopened on a smaller scale in 1988 to serve commuters.

Bolton:
    [​IMG]

Bolton Interchange is a transport interchange combining Bolton railway station and Bolton Bus Station in the town of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England. The station is located on the Manchester to Preston line and the Ribble Valley line, and is managed by Northern Trains. The station is 11+1⁄4 miles (18.1 km) north west of Manchester Piccadilly. Ticket gates have been in operation at the station since 2016.

Moses Gate-Manchester on Page 3...

• Like Like x 2
  3. TrainGeek08

Page 3:

Moses Gate:
    [​IMG]

Moses Gate railway station serves the Moses Gate suburb of Farnworth in the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton, Greater Manchester, North West England. It lies on the Manchester-Preston Line 1+1⁄4 miles (2.0 km) south of Bolton, though only local services run by Northern call here.

Farnworth:
    [​IMG]

Farnworth railway station serves the town of Farnworth, in the Greater Manchester, England. The station underwent several name changes before the present name was adopted in 1974. It lies on the Manchester-Preston Line 8+1⁄2 miles (13.7 km) north of Manchester Victoria, though only local services run by Northern Trains call here.

Kearsley:
    [​IMG]

Kearsley railway station serves the town of Kearsley and the outlying villages of Stoneclough, Prestolee and Ringley in Greater Manchester, England. It was originally named Stoneclough. It lies on the Manchester-Preston Line 7+3⁄4 miles (12.5 km) north of Manchester Victoria, though only local services run by Northern Trains stop here.

Clifton:
    [​IMG]

Clifton railway station is a railway station in Clifton, Greater Manchester, England which was formerly called Clifton Junction. It lies on the Manchester–Preston line.

Salford Crescent:
    [​IMG]

Salford Crescent railway station is a railway station in Salford, Greater Manchester, England, opened by British Rail in 1987. The station is 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Salford Central, 1.75 miles (2.82 km) west of Manchester Victoria and 2.25 miles (3.62 km) west of Manchester Piccadilly. It consists of a single island platform with a ticket office and waiting room.

Manchester Victoria branch:

Salford Central:
    [​IMG]

Salford Central railway station is in the city of Salford, Greater Manchester, England, close to Spinningfields and Deansgate. It is served by trains to and from Manchester Victoria, towards Rochdale and Wigan Wallgate.

Manchester Victoria:
    [​IMG]

Manchester Victoria station in Manchester, England, is a combined mainline railway station and Metrolink tram stop. Situated to the north of the city centre on Hunts Bank, close to Manchester Cathedral, it adjoins Manchester Arena which was constructed on part of the former station site in the 1990s. Opened in 1844 and part of the Manchester station group, Victoria is Manchester's third busiest railway station after Piccadilly and Oxford Road and the second busiest station managed by Northern after Oxford Road.

Manchester Piccadilly branch:

Deansgate:
    [​IMG]

Deansgate is a railway station in Manchester city centre, England, 1,100 yards (1 km) west of Manchester Piccadilly, close to Castlefield at the junction of Deansgate and Whitworth Street West. It is part of the Manchester station group.

Manchester Oxford Road:

[​IMG]

Manchester Oxford Road railway station is a railway station in Manchester, England, at the junction of Whitworth Street West and Oxford Street. It opened in 1849 and was rebuilt in 1960. It is the second busiest of the four stations in Manchester city centre. The station serves the southern part of Manchester city centre, the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University, on the line from Manchester Piccadilly westwards towards Warrington, Chester, Llandudno, Liverpool, Preston and Blackpool. Eastbound trains go beyond Piccadilly to Crewe, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Peterborough and Norwich. The station consists of four through platforms and one terminating bay platform.

Manchester Piccadilly:
    [​IMG]

Manchester Piccadilly is the principal railway station in Manchester, England. Opened as Store Street in 1842, it was renamed Manchester London Road in 1847 and became Manchester Piccadilly in 1960. Located to the south-east of Manchester city centre, it hosts long-distance intercity and cross-country services to national destinations including London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth, Reading, Southampton and Bournemouth; regional services to destinations in Northern England including Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and York; and local commuter services around Greater Manchester. It is one of 19 major stations managed by Network Rail. The station has 14 platforms: 12 terminal and two through platforms (numbers 13 and 14). Piccadilly is also a major interchange with the Metrolink light rail system with two tram platforms in its undercroft.

That's it for the Bolton Corridor folks, hope you enjoyed this suggestion, put your thoughts down below as always, I've been TrainGeek08 as always, and I'll see you next time for another suggestion or CC Roadmap announcement, goodbye ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. GTAGamer245

GTAGamer245 Well-Known Member

It would make sense to extend it further south to Manchester Airport and further west to Blackpool North. It's so that Northern and Transpennine Express have an appropriate ending point south.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TrainGeek08

I think ending it at Airport would be a nice idea :)

6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Good suggestion as usual, TrainGeek08, but I do want to speak of something here:

It's borderline pointless for us to try and do the LAMP process 'for' DTG in Suggestions. We don't know where Licenses stand, A and P are very subjective - the only point we can possibly know is the M - Mix.

You'd be better off just explaining why you think it's impressive/interesting - tends to get more likes than any other method. Just my advice, from experience.

However, it's a good suggestion nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  7. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

What can I say?
    Great suggestion mate as it would bring a couple of interesting modern units to game which is essential if modern routes are going to be all we get.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrainGeek08

Yeah, basically when I explain the LAMP process I'm saying what would match those terms but like you say, I don't know if Northern & TPE have agreed to DTG yet, for A & P, again we don't know until this gets made, if it gets made, P is sort of looking at any landmarks or points of interest that might attract the player base into buying the route, so really like you say, the one we know is M, as it's not hard to search up any station I've listed and look at a schedule but yeah, that's how I explain the LAMP process

Explaining about how interesting or impressive isn't a bad idea, I used to do that sort of but because DTG shared the LAMP process in the Roadmap, I just thought how the LAMP process would look in my suggestions but I'll think about it ;)

9. TrainGeek08

Thanks as usual, I'm getting back into doing suggestions after a little break, I am thinking of doing an international one next ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. matt#4801

Yes it's nice to see you doing them a bit more regular again as they are always a pleasure to read, as I am sure you've gathered!

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring It On alternatively there is another way to get a class 195 to be on here is a Northern Rail Diesel route like Preston Blackpool Bradford Interchange Leeds route and have that layer here. For the freight locomotive why not make it a class 70 which has it's TSC Home Route WCML North Carlisle Citadel to Glasgow Central.
    Electro-Diesel Class 93 as DLC locomotive that way you can have a scenario to which your diesel engine has failed and you must terminate at an electrified station on the route.

• Like Like x 1
  12. matt#4801

Are 93s even in service yet? I didn't think they were.

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Not yet but they are being tested in Spain as of right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1