The Cathcart Circle Guide

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by trainsimplayer, Aug 11, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Hello all. Today im going to be doing something different, today i'm going to be making what I consider a half-cosmetic, half-important guide to Glasgow Cathcart Circle, for TSW.

Now, before we begin, all screenshots are mine. My SPT Livery is guaranteed to show up in to some of these shots, so i'm going to put a disclaimer here for those who don't yet have the route:
    The SPT Carmine & Cream livery does not come with the route.

Now, I've wanted to do this for quite a long time. As I - as I've hinted many times - am from Scotland, I've wanted to apply my personal knowledge to help people.

I'm aware there are other guides out there, however this one will be much less gameplay focused than those, with a bit of "Tourist Guide" thrown in.

What will I be covering? Well, I plan to cover:
    • The Class 314
    • The Class 66 Layer
    • The Railtours
    • The Route itself
    • Station information
    And other things (can't spoil it all now can I? :D)

Now, let's get into this, shall we?

Class 314
    The Class 314 is the loco included with Cathcart Circle, built by British Rail Engineering Limited (BREL) in 1979.

Part of the 'PEP' family of trains - alongside the Class 313, 315, 507 and 508, the Class 314 has served it's entire life in Scotland. Originally designed for the Argyle Line, the class gradually moved south of the Clyde, until it eventually was withdrawn from service, living out its last days on the Inverclyde Line, still helping of course with Paisley Canal and these very Circle Lines. In 2014 - when Cathcart is set - the route ran all services on the Cathcart lines
    (minus just a few (we are talking ~4-5) ran by Class 380s (I'm saying now, we don't need a DLC. It can come with another route. No debates in the replies, ok? Good.))

Simple Guide
    Don't complicate if it's not complicated
    Set up:

1. Insert Master Key
    2. Set Reverser to Forward
    3. Make Sure Brakes are released
    4. Apply Throttle
    Thats how easy it is. Obviously that ignores doors or any other starting up things.

Controls
    The Door Controls all have the clue in the name, so I won't go into them, but when it comes to Closing the doors, be sure to look up here. a6334617-18df-44e2-8732-7101c52de3a3.jpeg
    See that wee lit up button? See the black one next to it? Yeah, that's your door close.

Also, have a look at the panel behind you to your right. It has Safety Systems and such

Tips

If you are in the position of "Wait until ××:××:××, press Close Doors around 10 seconds before departure, they will close by that time.

Also, if you are running late, close the doors shortly before the "Load Passengers" task finishes. They won't close for around Ten seconds.

In adverse conditions, such as Snow or Heavy Rain, do NOT use Throttle 4 until at least 20mph, you'll just get wheelslip. I reccommend using throttle 2 or - depending how poor the conditions are - you could get away with Throttle 3.

If you're about to overshoot a station (Matt... :D), you can put the brake lever into Emergency, and treat it as a 4th notch of brake. The train requires NO kind of 'recovery' operations, unlike other trains. You can just keep on going after you pick up passengers.

Safety Systems & The Panels.
    AWS/TPWS are located behind you, next to the driver compartment's door.

On the same panel, if you insert the key, you have controls over the lighting of the cab areas, and the passenger saloons*
    *Requires you to hold down for 5 seconds.

If this key is in, it is also possible to use the Guard Panels (located at the doors) for door controls.

This also allows you to guard the train - to an extent - if you spawn as a passenger and insert the key, and just ride along with the driver.

Class 66 Layer
    The Class 66 layers onto Cathcart from East Coastway, and provides one service, an early morning Engineering service from Newton to Glasgow Central.

You do not stop in-between, however it does offer a slight challenge maintaining speed at the Cathcart Junctions.

Railtours
    The Railtours add 2 services, Glasgow - Neilston, and Neilston - Newton.

There is also a "hidden" Turnback service at neilston, but it's just going in to the Turnback Siding, waiting for a ScotRail train to depart the station, and heading into the platform to prepare to get going.

The Railtours are formed of British Rail stock, from NTP, as well as Tees Valley Line (please correct me if thats wrong).

Services
    Services varied in many ways, with the following all being in place:

314 • Shields Depot - Glasgow
    314 • Glasgow - Shields Depot

314 • Glasgow - Newton (via P. West)
    314 • Glasgow - Newton (via P. East)

314 • Newton - Glasgow (via P. West)
    314 • Newton - Glasgow (via P. East)
    (4 Services go to Newton Turnback Siding)

314 • Glasgow - Neilston (via P. East)
    314 • Neilston - Glasgow (via P. East)
    314 • Neilston Turnback

314 • Glasgow - Glasgow (Clockwise)
    314 • Glasgow - Glasgow (Anti-clockwise)

So that's 11 service types,
    And 205 services for the 314.

As I said above, the 66 is
    Newton - Glasgow (1)

And the Railtours are
    Glasgow - Neilston (1)
    &
    Neilston - Newton (1)

The route
    The route is 20 miles long, and serves 21 stations.

These are:
    Glasgow Central dba95b1a-4421-42a2-b80d-505e41448ce1.jpeg
    25cab630-e0a5-4517-99a3-790cfdfe4e30.jpeg
    5a27728c-8221-4c8c-93d5-26025a1e587c.jpeg

Glasgow Central is Scotland's Largest station by Passenger Numbers - with 32.465 million in 2019/20, and is Glasgow's main terminus (sorry Queen Street). Glasgow Central is also the main Hub for all Suburban Services South of the Clyde, as well as serving Transpennine Express & Avanti West Coast services from Manchester, London and Such.

The station has 17 platforms (2 Low-Level, 15 High-Level), with the 15 on the High-Level being represented in Game.

The station itself is somewhat a landmark if Glasgow's. Not only is it a major gateway to the city, it is also home to the Heilanman's (Highlandman's) Umbrella, you would most likely recognise it as "That green bridge that has "CENTRAL STATION" on it, but it gains it's name from being a place of shelter for Highlanders displaced in the Highland clearances.

Circle

Pollockshields East
    [​IMG]

Pollockshields East is the first station from Glasgow (unless your going the other way round the circle), it, along with Pollockshields West and Maxwell Park, serves the Pollockshields area of Glasgow.

The line towards Pollockshields West, as well as the Glasgow Southwestern Line to Kilmarnock, East Kilbride, Stranraer and Carlisle is also here.
    Queen's Park
    85a37708-4576-49f9-9563-be38a7c89dec.jpeg

Queen's Park serves the Area of the same name. Located just down the road from Queens Park (Park) itself, the station is in quite a pleasant looking area (tip: don't get off here irl, might look nice, it's not that good)
    Crosshill
    [​IMG]

Serves the Crosshill area. That's about it. It's really just a filler station between Queens Park and Mount Florida
    Mount Florida
    [​IMG]

Mount Florida sees (or seen pre-COVID. I really this comes back) a lot of it's footfall from the football.

Hampden Park - home of Scotland's National Team - is located close to the station. ScotRail also run Specials on Matchday.

For those unfamiliar with the stadium, if you watched Euro 2020 you'll likely have heard about it, it was a host stadium.

Oh, and Hampden also plays host to Queens Park FC - No, they don't play in Queens Park.
    Cathcart
    [​IMG]

Cathcart is the namesake of the route. Located in the middle of the Cathcart Junctions, Cathcart is also elevated, so when arriving you get a good view on to the streets to the side.

Fun Fact: Cathcart doesn't see any Newton Services, the only station on the Circle not to!
    Langside [​IMG]
    Langside is the first station back round to Glasgow from Cathcart.

Serving Langside, there isn't really that much to talk about here.
    Pollockshaws East [​IMG]
    Pollockshaws East (Not to be confused with Pollockshields East) is another simple station. The reason - before anyone Googles or asks me - it's East but there isn't (seemingly) a West, is because Pollockshaws West is on the Glasgow Southwestern Line. Completely seperate.

Shawlands
    [​IMG]
    Shawlands again is rather "meh"
    Maxwell Park [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maxwell Park is in the Pollockshields area of Glasgow (Unlike Queen's Park the area doesn't share a name with the park), but is located right outside the park. Also, can we all agree it's just a pleasant wee station?
    Pollockshields West
    Pollockshields West is the first station from Glasgow (unless your going the other way round the circle), it, along with Pollockshields East & Maxwell Park, serves the Pollockshields area of Glasgow.

The Glasgow Southwestern Line to Kilmarnock, East Kilbride, Stranraer and Carlisle branches off shortly before here, at the Glasgow side.
    Newton Branch
    Kings Park
    [​IMG]

King's Park is similar to Queen's & Maxwell Park stations, in that it's named after an adjacent park. King's Park.

King's Park is in a way an alternative (by that I mean it's how you bypass the queue) way of getting on trains to Glasgow when leaving Hampden Park.
    Croftfoot
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Croftfoot is - along with Burnside - one of the stations serving Rutherglen (Rutherglen Station itself being on the Argyle Line and in the centre of the Burgh, with these two being at the south).

Not much else I think is worth a mention really.
    Burnside [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burnside is - along with Croftfoot - one of the stations serving Rutherglen (Rutherglen Station itself being on the Argyle Line and in the centre of the Burgh, with these two being at the south).

I personally like this station for its entrance, and some nice scenery.
    Kirkhill
    [​IMG]

Kirkhill is actually one of the stations I quite like, being rather unique in being in a trench, but also very open feeling, as well as the extended paths, and using the hill that the tunnel runs through as a natural footbridge, just a wonderful station.

Fun Fact: It's possible to see this on Train Simulator's WCML North route, along with Newton and Glasgow Central.
    Newton
    [​IMG]

Newton Station is the terminus of the Newton branch. It also features a Turnback Siding, however isn't shown in timetable menus, and is quite hidden, actually.

In real life, Newton is served by Circle Services, and the Argyle Line, and WCML services would pass on the fast lines.
    Neilston Branch
    Muirend
    [​IMG]
    Williamwood
    [​IMG]

Williamwood serves the Williamwood area of Clarkston, East Renfrewshire. The line here also forms the boundary with Gifnock, another town, but doesn't really serve it.
    Whitecraigs
    Whitecraigs is - along with Patterton - one of Two stations serving Newton Mairns (not Newton), the station also serves part of Gifnock, with the line itself forming the boundary here.
    Patterton
    [​IMG]

Patterton is the second (Whitecraigs being the first here) station serving the town of Newton Mairns (not to be confused with Newton). The station serves the Patterton, Crookfur & Greenlaw areas, as well as two areas of Glasgow itself, Deaconsbank & Jennylind.
    Neilston
    [​IMG]

Neilston is the terminus of the Neilston Branch (if that wasn't already obvious), and is the only station serving the village of Neilston.

Neilston is quite unique in having a Two Platform layout, but no through services, as Neilston uses a Turnback Siding instead.

Landmarks
    • Glasgow Central
    • Glasgow City Centre
      • Surrounding Glasgow Central
    • River Clyde
      • Located near Glasgow Central
    • M74
      • Located above lines south of the Clyde, both towards the circle and the depot.
    • Shields Depot
      • Located West of Glasgow Central, on the Inverclyde, Ayrshire & Paisley Canal Lines.
    • Cathcart Junctions
      • Located around Cathcart Station.
    • Dams to Darnley Country Park & Rail Viaduct
      • Located Between Patterton & Neilston.
    • Newton Turnback Siding
    • Neilston Turnback Siding

Collectables
    There are four collectibles on Cathcart Circle.
    Route Maps
    Posters
    Newspaper Stands
    ScotRail's 'Choo Choo' Plant pots

So to not ruin all the fun, I won't say where these are.

Depot(s)

Cathcart Circle includes One Depot, Glasgow Shields Road.

Located to the West of Glasgow Central, Shields Road Depot maintains ScotRail's suburban electric fleet. In game, all Class 314s will be here at the end or before the beginning of the service day.

The line to Shields Depot is formed of the Inverclyde Line, Ayrshire Coast Line, and Paisley Canal Line. Shields Road Depot is rather unique in not having a direct entrance/exit to the lines, Instead using a siding for trains to Turnback. Located alongside the Paisley Canal Line.

Signalling
    Glasgow Cathcart Circle uses Standard UK Signalling. There is a unique signal on the approach to Pollockshields East (or West), which has two Seperate signals.

If you are going to Pollockshields East you would read the left aspect.
    If going to Pollockshields West, the Right aspect applies to you.

Safety Systems
    The Class 314 is rather basic when it comes to Safety Systems, having TPWS, AWS. DSD & DRA are also fitted.

Potential of the route
    Cathcart has a lot of potential for the future.
    Firstly, it brings Glasgow Central into the game, which of course sets up other routes out of there (something that was mentioned on one of the Preview Streams for the route), and - if this is ever what is chosen - Newton & Glasgow both contribute to a potential Argyle Line/WCML North add-on.

Cathcart could contribute to the following:

Inverclyde, Ayrshire Coast & Paisley Canal Lines: Glasgow - Shields Depot

Glasgow Southwestern Line: Glasgow - Pollockshields West, Two other sites

WCML North/Argyle Line: Glasgow Central & Newton

As for DLC, I strongly, strongly oppose a DLC - be it a 380, a 318 or a 320.
    Why, you may ask?

Well, as I established at the start, I'm Scottish "so what!?" I sense someone thinking. Well, I know for a fact, Scotland - especially in this area - has a German-style Substitution of locos.

Now, if the 380 (Example) came as a DLC it could have three effects in the long-term, 1 positive, 2 negative.

+ It adds a bit of variety on Cathcart, and AI out to Shields, and let's you drive it (for only like, half a dozen services, probably not even that)

- It could rule out future routes such as Ayrshire Coast or Inverclyde
    OR
    - It could be de-valued by one of those, making it worthless, and inevitably causing community complaint.
    (Same applies to the 320/318, but with the Argyle Line)

Also, a Cathcart is set in 2014, the 320/318 didn't run the line - at all - at this time.
    But, that aside, let me go into my finishing part:
    Final Words + Bit of a Review
    Cathcart Circle is - in my opinion - the best route in TSW now. In terms of accuracy, realism and quality.

Realistically, the scenery of the route is almost spot on, and is very, very accurate. Especially around Glasgow.
    Same goes for the Class 314 - it sounds, looks and feels like a Class 314, so hats off for that one.

Also, the stations are absoluetly wonderful, and accurate, so credit to Rivet Games for that.

In terms of other things, some of the minor details - such as hearing a football game being played around the pitches - or industrial sounds around Cathcart Junction, really add to the route, in immersion, but also setting up the Glasgow atmosphere.

In my opinion, only the missing livery (SPT C&C), is an issue - and even that is easily fixable using the current livery designer - as basic as it is (my opinion).

Now, is I hinted earlier, this is also for people who don't have the route to get a feel for it.
    So, would I reccommend the route? Yes, I very much would.

So, to conclude. This includes:
    314 Guide
    314 Info
    Layers & Railtours
    Route Guide
    Safety Systems

And more!
    As always, Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1