The G6 - Appreciation And Constructive Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matinakbary, Dec 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

So I bought the Vossloh [or here: DB] G6 loco by TSG.

20211202162645_1.jpg

Pro:
    • The sound is incredibly well done. Comparing it to real world footage, the G6 sounds are pretty much on spot. Especially when you use the dynamic breaks and the motor starts to get louder shortly before stopping. The door sounds, the horn, the PZB - all sound veeery well!
    • Gameplay: So i of course did not play all scenarios and timetable yet, but the rescue mission is nice. The timetable tries so simulate a real work day with the same service doing different things at different time. You have to go back and forth, wait for trains and so on. Really creative.
    • Functionality: I love the fact that the tank lid is animated. And the moving chair. And you can dim the cab lights, turn step lights on and off, have this little red lid for the PZB Hauptschalter etc. etc.
    • Physics: I can't really say anything about the real loco as I am not a train driver. But if feels very realistically. It's not a Ferrari, especially when you have more waggons behind you. And RRO has some great up's and down's, so even with 100% dynamic break you sometimes still accelearate and have to use the train break. So great challenges, let's see how Tharandter Rampe will try so give me some PZB Emergency Breaks with that.
    Con:

• :o
    20211202171838_1.jpg

Conclusion: I would say this is from a development site one of the most well done locos in TSW. It's on the same level as the BR 101, the ICE 3, and BR 363. Even for me, who really is not into shunting, this loco is a must have. Great job, well done. And I can't wait for the 420 :)

• Like Like x 39
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm not into shunting either but I bought this based on the preview stream and it has changed my mind. Finally a DLC that meets expectations. Really well done.

• Like Like x 6
  3. pwarner893

pwarner893 New Member

This is a fantastic piece of DLC! The sounds are amazing! Am I correct in thinking that a new section of track has been added also?

The only problem I have noticed is pressing Q for Sifa disables the cruise control. Is this prototypical behaviour?

Second thing is that stop markers are 5m away from red signals. I look forward to these being moved just a touch further away from them.
    Edit: English

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

super good loco, indeed \o/
    the real competition for BR 363

• Like Like x 6
  5. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

I'd love a mod to have it on RSN, MSB, DRA

• Like Like x 11
  6. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I still don't get why simply all shunting locos aren't substitutionable between each others. Would love to use the G6 for stuff on RSN or the 363 to do the G6 services and so on.

"And I also love that you can turn on the step lights and so on"
    Same. This just reminds me that the BR363 has all the switches but none of them function.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Only con I found is the SIFA-cruise control problem, but since Maik Goltz has confirmed he‘s fixed it already, nothing left on the con side for me.

It‘ll never be as cute as the 363, but otherwise real competition, true. :D

What else is there to say? We have learned to expect top-notch quality from TSG and that is exactly what the G6 delivers. The physics, the sounds(!), the features - all of them amazing. I‘d like to give a special shout-out to the running sounds and flange squeal. Both of these are of excellent quality while they‘re usually pretty much absent in any DTG product. Another great thing is the attention to detail and implementation of little gimmicks like the folding seats and the hard hat. Never thought I‘d get this much enjoyment from clicking on a virtual hard hat to make it (dis-)appear.

With all that being said, things are looking great for all the upcoming TSG products and all of the German DTG content in which TSG is involved.

• Like Like x 15
  8. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

100% agree with that. Makes me look forward so much more to the BR232 when it comes out... In a year or so...

• Like Like x 4
  9. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

By the reaction of the community about the G6 I suppose I know what I’ll be doing when I get out of work! I’d be curious to know how many work hours were put into creating this locomotive in all and how it would compare to other projects. Really happy everyone in the community is enjoying it and happy for TSG as well. Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 2
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Nice to know there's a good third party. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Ouch, I’d say they are all good. I think each 3rd party developer has brought something unique to TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

See Rivet it can be done! Top-notch from Maik. Looking forward to the Ludi and the 420 indeed, no hesitation purchases.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's really fantastic!!! Sounds are great, and the "connected" services seem well thought out. I've only played the first one but bravo so far!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

It's a shame that you need to get all these routes to get these loco DLCs, I was very tempted with the 101 but it meant getting HRR RSN for the 363 and now RRO for the G6. Hopefully in the future there is some sort of TSW acadamey feature that Matt has previously talked about so that we don't need a route to get a loco DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  15. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I completely agree, it's a wonderful loco, and the few services I've tried so far were really fun.

Only (minor) complaint is that unlike the BR363 (which BTW is another great DLC), the G6 does not add any mainline freight services, but I can appreciate the impossibility/difficulty of messing with an existing timetable, and possibly the little value it would bring overall.

I also think that this loco has possibly dethroned the TGV for the best sounds, it's easily ond of the best.

Top notch sounds and physics, togheter with good timetable will always equate to an excellent DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  16. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

In what way does the 363 add mainline freight services? as far as I know you also do shunting services only with it? And regarding the sound, don't forget about the BR101 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It adds 8 BR185 cement trains, (I believe from Hagen to the nearby plant), the 185 drops the wagons there, and are then shunted by the 363 IIRC.

The BR101 is another great loco in terms of sounds, but the TGV on top of the great motor sounds (the big strength of the BR101) is one of the very few TSW trains that sounds awesome when coasting and on low power, the running sounds are IMO the best of any train yet, but the G6 gets very close.

• Like Like x 2
  18. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Alright, I thought that you meant there were mainline services with the BR363 itself :D I mean I agree, but I guess thats due to the fact that the G6 didn't bring any new wagons with it. But I'm fine with that

• Like Like x 1
  19. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Yep have to agree this is the top DLC shunter and the new standard. Great work TSG!

• Like Like x 3
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I said previously we really need a freight or industrial branch line so all these small locos can be given a chance of a thrashing, rather than just shunting!

• Like Like x 3
  21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

As a shunting enthusiast, I couldn't resist buying this DLC immediately. I've been through the excellent tutorial a couple of times, but haven't tried any of the 5 scenarios or the 19 services yet. This is definitely not an easy loco to manage: I found the throttle/brake lever particularly tricky using a mouse, but easier using the <A> and <D> keys. As always, I can't resist emphasizing that a user's manual should be available!!! However, the tutorial is very well done (don't let those air system compartment doors hit you in the head!): the instructor's voice has an appropriate German accent and speaks at a moderate pace in a teaching tone (as a career university professor, I know this when I hear it). As usual, none of the safety features are covered -- which is, I think, very unfortunate. In fact, a separate tutorial would certainly be appropriate -- or, as already mentioned, they could be covered in a USER'S MANUAL.
    Finally, I really cannot agree with OldVern: this is primarily a shunting engine and the tasks provided with it are thoroughly and completely appropriate and satisfactory. Three cheers and one cheer more for TSG!

• Like Like x 3
  22. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Call for TheSchottee!!!!!!!!!

23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Or....or...bear with me here....DTG could do this officially so everyone can enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

It's not that easy as it may sound like. Lots of work and time need to go in to make it happen, per route.

Unfortunately making a manual is nothing i can achieve for TSW as it needs all those languages then what get way to expensive for my little company. Normally i would do a German and English manual (lots of you may know my extensive manuals from vR EL Locos). But for TSW it needs all languages.

Basically the same answer here as for the manuals. This "little" tutorial was utterly expensive because of the VOs. And not to mention how much time it has taken to create the flow. Nothing i could normally do yet. And not for safety systems as this would get 10 times more complex.

• Like Like x 8
  25. SkidMarkYT

SkidMarkYT Member

There is a mod that subs out the BR363 and the BR204 between each other on RSN,MSB and DRA but this mod now also works with the G6.I have tested the G6 in service mode on the MSB and works fine. Spawned in on DRA in service mode and the loco was fine but had no time to do a run this evening, also I have not tried the G6 on RSN but the G6 is in the loco menu so should be fine.
    Please note The G6 cannot be sub'ed out on RRO with the 363 or the 204.
    The 363 and 204 services mod file is attached below. Enjoy if you have'nt already used it and now with the G6 added.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It's all well and good to want manuals and a lot of other things but the amount of hours and resources that have gone into making this little marvel I think is pretty obvious so we can hardly expect to get more for €14 than what TSG is offering us with this G6. I spent more than that today for a coffee in the bar and then buying bread, eggs, milk and some fruit.

This is a niche product with very limited sales potential. As long as DTG has this unchangeable pricing policy we will hardly see anything better than this, and it already seems to me that they have given us so much here for so little.

I think a professional should work for a proper reward, it's not an NGO.

That's just my opinion.

• Like Like x 8
  27. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

TSG should be proud of this locomotive, it's very high quality and well worth the money. I look forward to more content from them

• Like Like x 9
  28. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

That's stupid, there's quite a few games on Steam that are only available in one language despite being sold in other regions. There's even a few products for Train Simulator that only have single language manuals. I understand having a manual for everyone's great and all, but if that requirement is why we lack good manuals all the bloody time honestly that requirement should be dropped, better to have a manual in one language than none at all.
    Couldn't you get rid of the VO to save cost then? Might not allow you to do everything, but could probably get a bit more out of the tutorial if the only cost was to type up and translate the text.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to read this. It was the only little problem with a DLC that is really high quality and it is easy to tell that a lot of time has been put into making it be as good as it is.

As some others have mentioned, I enjoy other rail activities more than shunting but I had no trouble paying full price for this DLC because it is really awesome in every possible way.

Looking forward for more TSG content.

• Like Like x 4
  30. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

A Masterpiece!! A true joy!! Dare I say, nearly flawless.
    If this isn't the best loco DLC in TSW, it certainly is in the top two or three. Absolutely the bar by which all others should be judged, and to which all developers should aspire.
    Oh yeah, try the high beams, they'll knock your socks off!! :D

• Like Like x 4
  31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Superb work!

Thats the kind of experience, which i can enjoy because its full of details and a well made product.
    No complaints about it, really can see passion in what we got. Saw many wheelsets by my self of vossloh shunters, also visually mike has done a nice work.

When i compare this to "other" products, i think its an advanced version of a loco dlc in terms of features and underpriced.

Wish Rivet would stick to that kind of deepth in details. Their loco dlcs i charged the same price, but they struggle to even to get a guard and light panel working.

Weiter so! ich freue mich auf alles was von TSG kommt

• Like Like x 4
  32. martschuffing

The G6 isn't just a shunter though it is a "last miles" loco too. That's why it has a second "gear" to push its v-max up to 80kph.

33. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

When this locomotive was included in the roadmap, I was not sure if I wanted to buy it. As the release approached, these doubts disappeared from me. First day purchase !!! One of the best additions! He's perfect!
    Maik Great job!!!! I expected the model to be of high quality, but my first acquaintance surpassed all my expectations !!! Bravo! I am delighted with your work !!! I really enjoyed the first experience yesterday. I look forward to your new creations. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  34. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Excellent DLC, very fun to play with. One hiccup I ran into: I ran the scenario where you have to tow away a failed train using a pair of G6s. After coupling to the failed train and performing all the setup work, I applied full throttle to get the train moving and the game just force quit to desktop with a UE error. Has anyone else had this happen?

35. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice to hear the community being this satisfied. Looks like it can be done!

I believe it has been in production for quite a while, but looks like it was worth the wait. Maybe a good sign that making production cycles longer and actually polishing the product does worth it.

Really looking forward for the Ludmilla, that will come for RSN, right? As that's the only german route I drive, I'm really looking forward for it.

• Like Like x 2
  36. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes me too

37. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I think at the moment it's the only DLC for TSW2 with 100% positve reviews on Steam. So, well done to TSG!

• Like Like x 5
  38. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Short and sweet: TSG did a bombastic job. From now on, the DB BR 101 and the Class 465 have to share the throne with the G6.

• Like Like x 3
  39. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Does the 101 and this run on the same route? If so, then I might think about getting them alongside the route.

40. Lamplight

No, they don‘t. The 101 comes with HRR and the G6 with RRO. Unless you meant in terms of layers/substitution? That’s also a no since the G6 doesn‘t substitute anywhere currently.

41. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Quite a difference from BR 187, isn't it? Only 18% positive reviews for Skyhook Games' work.:)

• Like Like x 1
  42. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

Yes me too has scenario with two g6 is crash- UE error

• Like Like x 2
  43. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Did Maik also do work on the 423? I never see it mentioned but I think he had a hand in it somewhere?

44. Lamplight

Yes, he did.

• Like Like x 2
  45. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Same, it crashes in different places in this scenario only. I don't have any specific mod or configuration, I even tested without PZB and RailDriver. I reinstalled the DLC, but still the same problem. By saving at different times, I managed to advance in the scenario but in the end, I find myself blocked, with the convoy (2 G6 + freight train), at the first red light (in the downhill). I waited 10 minutes but all AI trains seem to be blocked.

46. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

People recognise quality

• Like Like x 2
  47. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well it was just a thought! Thinking back to Zusi 2, there were a couple of routes where I'm sure you came out on to the main line with a shunting loco to do a trip working along the line. Or maybe I'm getting confused with the 212 which was not a pure shunter. But I still think a nice little industrial complex or a small branch line would provide a good home for all three of the German shunters, rather than trying to layer them on existing routes, or end up having to go "Off The Rails". Obviously that is up to DTG not TSG, who have created this excellent add on.

Edit: And now added to my collection; I couldn't resist...

48. martschuffing

Me too.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Ben132465798

Ben132465798 Well-Known Member

It's... interesting how complex it is for DTG themselves and modders are like, hold up, wait a minute, job done.

But, in general I can supprt the apprectiation-ish side of this thread, what you've created there is IMO the best 3rd party DLC for TSW (yet, still waiting for your 232, that *might* top it)
    Superb sounds, really good work on details and quality, nice implementation in the service mode and fun scenarios.
    And I gotta be honest, It was an intsant buy as Matt on the preview stream opened the cabinet doors.
    You did a great job and made an even better product, keep up this work, and I'm not the first one who suggest this, but, please, think about a patreon or something else. If comparing the G6 with the 187 the G6 seems suddenly more worth, but since you can't raise the price..

Edit:
    matinakbary Add another Pro to your list: The 45second cab light mode

• Like Like x 6
  50. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Modding for PC without QA test and through the backdoor is easy. Doing it for 7 or more platforms with all the tests and certs for consoles is a way different thing.

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 3