The Icons/numbers In The Pause Menu Overview And More Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by voltajtepes#7278, Feb 14, 2021.

1. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

I can't find this information anywhere.
    When I hit escape to go to the pause menu, looking at the Overview screen. Down below there is a date/time then over to the right from there are a bunch of icons with numbers. It looks like SD40-2 and a symbol means I have 2 locos, then there is what looks like number of cars, total tonnage, and length.. Now, just underneath the SD40-2 is another icon with a number 8213. What is this number?
    Also if the manual says I have 3000 HP per locomotive, is there a rule of thumb indicating how much I can hall up what % grade (assuming perfect conditions)
    This is my first run with the lower right HUD (engine stuff) turned off. Now I have to pay attention to my gauges. :)

2. Cloadmcally

Cloadmcally Active Member

Hi there!
    Regarding the numbers, the one just below the class number is the consist number, and below that the leading unit number, that's how that is shown in MUs, while locos hauling x wagons usually only show the number for the leading loco. These are randomly assigned numbers that reflect which particular unit you've been assigned. As for the other part of the question, I' m not able to help you as I hardly ever play with freight, however every consist is capable of hauling it's freight on the route where it's supposed to. As for scenario designer consists, they are generally created so that you shouldn't have any issues driving them

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily always so. There are some services in SPG, in particular, which are available for GP38s or SD40s but which were really intended for AC4400s, because the smaller locos just don't have the power. (Even there, certain services can spawn you with an SD40 trail, which isn't enough for the job).

Anyway, the icon on top left tells you what type of locomotive you are driving, the lead. The one under it tells you that locomotive's serial number.

The top icon on the right is the number of elements in the consist (including locomotives). DTG like round numbers, so a "52" suggests that you have 50 cars and 2 locomotives- but you might want to have a peek with the external cameras. The icon below that is the total train weight in tons, and the bottom one is the train length in yards/meters (or sometimes, for Sand Patch, miles)

Available horsepower- well, you need to know the capacity of the locos you have (GP38, 2000; SD40, 3000; C40W, 4000; AC4400, 4400). If you are dealing with any kind of steep grade, the bare minimum is 1 hp per ton (but 1.5 is much better; 1 is a pretty small margin and you'll be losing speed all the way up).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Thanks! That's exactly the information I needed!

5. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Another way of thinking about it is that on a 2% gradient a 5,000t train is exerting a force due to gravity of 100t (1,000,000 Newtons, near enough). You need to have enough power to overcome this if you want to be able to restart a stalled/stopped train (and, of course, this isn't taking into account friction and other losses).

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

From Cumberland side, 2 HPPT (HP Per Ton) is sometimes not enough in bad weather conditions.
    PS In other words - there are services in this game that can not be done in bad weather.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Incidentally, having a 2+2 DP setup climbs and descends grades better than quadruple-heading. Some RW long trains put another one or two locos in the middle of the consist.

• Like Like x 2
  8. voltajtepes#7278

voltajtepes#7278 Member

Wow... last night I did one and I was at about 1.4 ratio (two SD40's pulling about 3900 tons).. the weather was clear.. and I made, although slowly. I averaged about 13 mph on the long 1.5% (ish) portion. But it was fun!

• Like Like x 3