The Riviera Exeter To Paignton/kingswear/plymouth

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by theorganist, Dec 19, 2018.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

One of my favourite routes for TS is Riviera in the 50's, I love recreating (as much as you can in TS) those summer Saturdays in the 50's when trains of holiday makers were queuing up along the sea wall. Obviously you can't do that in TSW at the moment as there are no steam engines but the route was still very interesting in the 70's and 80's especially before the re-signalling removed the semaphores.

Set in the mid 70's you would probably want a class 52, class 47, maybe a 25 and of course a class 118 DMU that would probably be enough to cover most types of services.

An 80's version probably a HST, 47, 50 and a DMU.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or what about it with an addition of it going to Plymouth aswell, from there it could go down to Penzance! That would be a great run!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

I've suggested Exeter St.David's to Paignton. Another beautiful stretch. Taking in the Exe and Teign estuaries and Dawlish sea front.

• Like Like x 2
  4. David Bellchamber

David Bellchamber New Member

Hello everybody,

I am new to the Community and fairly new to Trainsim. I suspect this is not really the place to ask this question, so please forgive me for my ignorance of forum etiquette.

Although I am enjoying my Riviera Line in the Fifties career, I am stuck on the 2 hard trips, on both of which I slip to a standstill. The first is Torbay Troubles where I make it to Paignton relatively unscathed, but then slip to a stand before I reach Goodrington. the second is Exeter Endurance where I 'sit down' just after leaving Torquay station.

I have tried different combinations of regulator and cut off settings, but nothing seems to help. Can anyone advise me please?

5. theorganist

Hello,

I haven't played any of the supplied scenarios for a long time as I tend to make my own. The climb up past Goodrington is tricky, have you tried using sand? I can't remember exactly what setting I use but I think a cut off around 50% and the regulator fairly wide open but I have trouble gauging the cut off it seems sometimes you are doing okay but if you then move it slightly either way you end up scrubbing off speed. I find sometimes if you start getting a momentum even if it is just a steady 10mph don't touch anything.

I will try one of the supplied scenarios over the next couple of days and see how I get on.

You will probably get better advice on the Train Simulator forum as you have posted in Train Sim World. UK Trainsim is another good place as there are several people far more knowledgeable than me on the with regards to steam engine driving.

Your post is exactly why I love the Riviera in the 50's route as it is a challenge and so atmospheric, which is why I would love to see it in TSW one day as a steam period route.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  6. GhostHunter0554

GhostHunter0554 New Member

I have also suggested this line including Exeter St Davids to Paignton and Exeter St Davids to Exmouth which are both lovely and with that there would be the possibility of expanding the route in further dates eg: to Plymouth, Penzance etc.
    All in all a lovely route that I have seen suggested many times in the forums. As for time period the 70’s would be a nice time period also with modern times with the pacers, sprinters, IETs and also possibly the voyagers from Cross Country. All in all a lovely suggestion that I would love to see in TSW.

7. theorganist

The problem would be the signalling if it was to represent so many time periods. Until 1985 it was still mostly semaphore signalling with local signal boxes, that was all ripped out when the Exeter resignalling scheme happened and colour lights and Exeter Power Box came online.

Unless DTG developed an era changer of course, there was one on a couple of the Microsoft Train Simulator routes.

8. David Bellchamber

9. David Bellchamber

Dear Organist,

Thank you for the reply and the tip on where I should have posted my enquiry.

I confess I did not think of using sand, which I suppose is quite an obvious thing to have tried. I will give it a go on both these tasks as soon as I can and let you know how I get on. By the way, I am grateful for the auto fireman who's with me on the footplate. I find concentrating on driving is enough to be getting on at the moment without worrying about maintaining steam pressure.

Thanks again. David

10. theorganist

No problem, I hope you get your train up the bank. I think a lot of it is trial and error. I don't know what that route has in the way of freeroams as you could use one of those to practice or create a simple one.

I have mixed views about the auto fireman, I tend to use it as in reality a driver isn't doing everything, but the auto fireman can be quite wasteful and I don't think always works in the best way it can. On some loco's with auto fireman on I cannot get the loco to be quiet!

11. David Bellchamber

Hello again Organist.
    It's amazing what a bit (or should I say a LOT) of sand can do.

On 'Torbay Troubles' I applied the sand on leaving Paignton and progressively opened the regulator to 100% with 50% cut off. I successfully passed through Goodrington at 23mph and speed remained in the 20s until the summit at Churston, before coasting downhill to Kingswear.

On 'Exeter Endurance', similar settings got me up the hill from Paignton. Sand was used again occasionally between there and Exeter.

I won't dwell on my timekeeping score on both of these trips!
    Your help was much appreciated.

David