The Strasburg Railroad

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ngc427, Aug 18, 2022.

1. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

The Strasburg Railroad is a 4.5 mile shortline railroad in the southeastern part of Pennsylvania. The railroad rosters 4 rotating operating steam locomotives for their passenger trains, and they have one SW8 diesel locomotive to switch around freight cars as Strasburg is still an operating freight shortline.

I am suggesting this route for the first Train Sim World US steam route because of its popularity and recognizability, ease of access and researchability, and simple operations that are balanced out by the complexity of running a steam locomotive. While the operations are relatively simple, the challenge of managing a steam locomotive at low speed while also making station stops and also paying attention to the rolling hills could make for a good challenge, as well as running the locomotive in both forward and reverse. Because the route is a majority single track with only 2 sidings throughout, a passenger train and freight train running at the same time can lead to some interesting meets, waits, and operational challenges.

A regular day on the Strasburg railroad usually has 3-5 round-trip trains, usually lasting about an hour per trip. Trains start in Strasburg station, head out to Paradise, the steam locomotive changes ends, stops at Groff's picnic grove, and then return. There are occasional freight runs from Paradise to Strasburg and back, as Strasburg has a stub track that leads into a parking lot for offloading/loading of freight, and Paradise has an interchange with the Amtrak/Norfolk Southern mainline. One of the unique parts of the railroad is a stop that passenger trains make on the way out to Paradise just before Carpenter's cemetery, as the conditions are just right for the whistle to echo perfectly.

The route in TSW specifically could include one of the Strasburg steam locomotives with its accompanying set of passenger cars, the SW8 with some freight cars, and the route itself. The route hosts some special events that would make for good scenario ideas, like nighttime photo charters, Christmas themed trains, as well as occasional freight runs using the steam locomotives instead of the diesel locomotive. It would essentially be the West Somerset Railway for the United States.

I feel like the Strasburg Railroad could perfectly capture the essence of the small town tourist and museum preservation railroads that are all across the US, as well as shortline operations, while also being an internationally recognizable railroad name. Even though its operations are simple, I'm sure a lot of players can find something in the route they like, whether they're interested in slow scenic train rides, humble shortline operations, or mastering the complex controls of a big steam locomotive.

• Like Like x 4
  2. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

4.5?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

The Strasburg Railroad website says 4.5, Wikipedia says 4.02. Quite a short route, but each service is about an hour long. Roughly around 9mph through the whole route, however it's not a very set number.

4. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

Strasburg is Cool but its just Short,
    Why not build The Philadelphia - Harrisburg Mainline route, but then have Strasburg attached as a Sweet bonus to it, we get Strasburg but also another 104.6 miles of Septa and Amtrak Action (which can come as a layer)

also Thomas and Percy Addon would be Dope

5. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

I think doing the entire mainline, as well as Strasburg would be a little bit much. I could definatley see them extending the Amtrak line to reach the nearest stations though. That way you can run a short section of the NEC, as well as have Amtrak AI traffic and probably even NS trains.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This is short and best value is merging it with the Philadelphia Harrisburg Line 104 mi making it 108 mi with Strasburg Railroad. Philly 30th st to Harrisburg Line rolling stock ACS-64 with Metroliner Cab Car Reskinned version 901-915 SEPTA Comet II-IV P42DC Pennsylvanian Silverliners IV & V. DLC Silverliners I-III R5 Doylestown to Thorndale. 1990-1996 R5 Doylestown Parkesburg

7. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

The issue is that the more you try to add to the route, the more of a process it is to develop, especially when it comes to making 1-2 steam locomotives. It wouldn't make sense to have a fully operational and detailed Strasburg on a 100+ mile route. Not to mention your suggestion is really, really over-enthusiastic.

8. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

This route would be a good candidate for an American Steam Locomotive Route after Dovetail improves the Spirit of Steam Liverpool- Crewe with the Manuel Firemen feature and fix the bug where the AI Firemen can actually shovel coal. Also this would give more tourist railroads or railways into the game since dovetail created The West Somerset Railway for the game.

9. driverwoods#1787

Got it then and for Strasburg railroad does it have Diesel locomotives or not in addition to steam locomotive.

10. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

That line is not very busy. Amtrak has only a couple trains a day

11. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

N&W 611 is a necessity for this route, as well as #90 and #89.

12. ngc427

ngc427 Active Member

They have one diesel locomotive, a ex-New York Central SW8. It could be a nice opportunity for DTG to re-use the SW1000R from the original NEC. The diesel is primarily used for shuttling freight, but very, very rarely it does run tourist trains.

[​IMG]

I'd hope for #90 and #89, as both of those are the 2 regulars for running the hourly and half-hourly trains. I can't see DTG doing more than 2 steam locomotives though, especially one as complex as 611.

13. driverwoods#1787

You mean Keystone and Pennsylvanian service. Keystone uses ACS-64 with Metroliner Cab Car Pennsylvanian P42DC/P40DC Amfleet I & II that train runs Horseshoe curve.

14. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

yeah I think the Pennsylvanian runs once a day each direction. Keystone maybe runs a couple trains a day each way,