There Really Is No Excuse

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Class158Perkinsguy, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Class158Perkinsguy

Class158Perkinsguy Member

Okay okay yes! I'm mega hyped for the Class 158, and it's great to see it in TSW3. However, if they pull a rivet and only use some of the AP sound files and not all of them, then well, it's a no go for me. I'm pretty familiar with the Class 158, and I'm not expecting bob on. Surely it's easier to just go to AP and say ''hey can we borrow the 158 sounds please?' sure AP would have no issue in doing that. Only time will tell...

• Like Like x 1
  2. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

why are you sure about that? Have you discussed it with AP? This is pure speculation at its very finest and absolutely worthy of a new thread

• Like Like x 3
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's never a question of using or not using "all the sound files," or sourcing them from one particular company. The real work is in the mixing, and tying soundfiles to the physics model. Doesn't matter whether the source file is in the finest Dolby Atmos 7.4.2, the mixing and integration is what makes or breaks a train's sounds.

Consider the outstanding Class 323, made with no AP involvement at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Tell me you don't know how sound mixing in a gaming environment works without telling me you don't know how sound mixing in a gaming environment works

• Like Like x 6
  5. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

This is not how it works. TSW uses AP sounds all the time but it’s mixing them into the game that always ends up a complete mess. Doesn’t matter what the source sounds are if you can’t put them in the game properly.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well although I am sceptical about Skyhook and the 158, it's a bit unfair to post a diatribe condemning them before the DLC is out and tried. The simplest course of action if you're unsure is not to be a Day 1 purchaser (see my response in another post listing the golden rules on buying anything made by DTG or their associates), wait for unbiased reviews/opinions and/or keep an eye on your refund window.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Buy, refund, repeat. The only golden rule I know of that most abide by despite vowing never to again!

Seriously, though we’ve seen one screenshot so far of the route and we’ve had comments such as the sounds are going to be wrong, the HST won’t be right!

I’d say that’s pretty impressive if people got all that from one screenshot!

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I hope when TSW43 comes out and comes with a class 995 electric/diesel/hydrogen/plant fuel cell multiple unit, they borrow AP's sounds for it!

9. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

Why have you made a thread complaining about something that is still at least half a year from release

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

DTG and AP are already quite close, the Huddersfield Line for TS even including a small version of the AP Class 158 Enhancement Pack. Of course that's no guarantee AP sounds will be used here, but it's a good sign.