Thoughts On Creators Club Being Locked Behind A Paywall

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tallboy7648, Dec 15, 2021.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

With the announcement of the creators club and after watching the roadmap stream there is one major thing that I don't agree with. That would be the fact that it is effectively locked behind a paywall. The creators club is essentially a way for players to share liveries and scenarios. Similar to the Steam Workshop for Train Simulator. Sharing scenarios and liveries in tsw2 has been something that has been requested ever since the livery and scenario designer was introduced. In order to use it though players will have to buy the TSW2 expansion pack in order to use it.

The pack comes with a reskined 1972 stock to reflect how the train was like when it entered service nearly 50 years ago, a DB BR 423 for SKA which is the train that runs on the route in real life but for whatever reason wasn't made when the route was being made (it hasn't been confirmed if the 423 willl be the DB S-Bahn Koln version or just the Munich S-Bahn version already in the game.) the Clinchfield SD40 on Sand Patch Grade (which you would never see on the line in real life by the way), 9 new scenarios in total and some additional services for all of the core routes.

But what I don't understand and what wasn't explained in the roadmap stream is why do people effectively have to pay for the TSW2 expansion pack which some may not even want just so they can have the ability to share scenarios? No other game that lets players share content does that. In my opinion that is a bad business practice and in my opinion the ablity to share content should be free just like every other game that has that option. I can already imagine the uproar of outrage if EA and Microsoft for example told players if they wanted to share custom made content that they would have to pay X amount of dollars to do so.

• Like Like x 26
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Agreed . Unfortunately this will be like diesel legends to me. Supported with a closed wallet. Personally and I'm only one person I'm not overly fussed about running different liveries as I can't see them from the cab.
    The three expansions too, not sold. I'll wait and give DTG money for their new route almost unquestionably, this, well that's for other wallets

• Like Like x 5
  3. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

It's just another sign of the stupid policy to make every profit as soon as possible, no matter if you're cutting your own flesh by doing that and that investing something (abstaining the quick money now in order to make more money in the future, basically a very simple selling technique) could lead to much higher sales in the future. But this is obviously too vague to consider this.

At least with the ridicoulous limitations regarding the liveries it's a tool that won't be missed much anyway...

• Like Like x 9
  4. flyingpaul

flyingpaul Member

I actually won't buy the extension pack because of that. I really like the idea of the extension pack (especially new timetable services (I don't care about new scenarios) and new liveries) and I would happily pay for this. BUT, I won't buy this pack, because I can't support a sharing club (of fictional liveries), for which you have to pay, to get access.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

From a different point of view. Why should I pay for creators club when I’m never going to use it but I want the new content.

From my point of view it’s an expansion pack. It includes a number of new features that have all had to be developed. It was never stated that sharing was part of the the original game so I can’t see why it should be free.

I would prefer it was separate from other content, but I’ll just have to decide whether the pack is worth it for the parts I want.

• Like Like x 4
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no issue with paying for the extra content but I don’t understand why entry to the members only club is included with the pack. I can only imagine it’s an attempt to save on bandwidth by limiting the number of users to those who really want it rather than to every player. It’s odd because people who will buy the pack for the new gameplay content will get it even if they don’t want it.

It would make more sense if the creators club was a separate add-on entirely, even if many people think it should be a free upgrade. I don’t get why they are linked at all. It would actually make a little more more sense if the creators club was the main focus of the expansion pack and a bit of free stuff was thrown in as a bonus but that’s not the way it is being sold to us. Mainly I just don’t understand the link between some content and an unconnected functional feature. It’s quite odd.

• Like Like x 19
  7. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

If dtg are running their own servers wouldn’t it be useful for hotfixes and patches without the complicated console hurdles?
    Liveries by themselves are not so important, it’s the scenarios they come with that are.

Imagine it becoming a subscription service like Adobe ! Aaaargh.!

• Like Like x 2
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Look out of the window and tell me whats not "locked" behind a paywall.

My opinion: Its also about the giant amount of work going into scenario planner 2.0. This effort will probably released in a core update.

I like dtg is going new paths

As a bizarre example:
    Cloud imperium games, creator ofStar Citizen had a funding this year of 400 million us dollars. The game is in alpha since 10 years. Nobody is complaining about the high ship prices, if you want a javelin destroyer, the price is 2800 dollars, thats the way it is.

Back to tsw, why should dtg create content for free?

Im happy they care about old routes with an entire team.
    Yes, half the roadmap is full of their improvements. --- FOR FREE

Cant see any reason to complain

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I don't really have any interest in either so won't be buying, but it does seem baffling that these two things are bundled together when the sharing element should surely be part of the core for everyone.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Any updates for the core should be free. Creators Club falls under that category. I also vaguely remember promises that core updates would be free, and only 'content' would be paid, but I might be mistaken.

I don't mind the extra stuff for the 3 'base' routes being paid, I guess it's comparable with Diesel Legends (which I didn't buy, btw).

The succes and usefulness of the creators club depends on how many people have access to it. It's best for the community that as many people as possible have access to it, so it should be free.

For the first time of my TSW career, I'm actually considering keeping my wallet closed purely because I do not agree with the way DTG is treating this situation...

• Like Like x 6
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

What's especially scummy about this is that DTG are effectively profiting off the work of others by selling this. Seriously, the biggest selling point of this is that you get access to liveries and scenarios that other have made. And it's not when you buy something from High Iron where you're giving the dev a cut of the money. Setting aside that DTG almost certainly aren't doing that, even if they were to do that here the cuts people would be getting here would be lusciously small.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Is it though? At least as it stands, you get access to fictional liveries and scenarios created with a very limited tool. Obviously, this may change when the 2.0 scenario planner comes around. If the price is right, I might be tempted to buy the pack for the DTG content, not the club. Though admittedly, I am curious what more patient and talented members of the community than I can achieve with the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I'm confused as well. It seems so random to lump this expansion pack together with access to sharing liveries/scenarios. The two don't seem to have any relation to one another at all.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They may have decided early on that sharing would have to be paid because they've seen how popular the suggestion is, so bolted on the gameplay pack to justify it.
    </TinFoilHat>

No one's asking for the content to be free, what they're asking is the sharing facility to be free.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Not completely 'free', but as a free update as part of a game we already paid for.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

It's what people are talking about the most, which indicates it's the thing people have the most interest in. Also the ability to share liveries has been regularly talked about and requested since they revealed livery designer. In comparison I haven't really seen many calls for any of the other content that's in it besides maybe the ability to sub in the DB BR 423 into the 422 ran services. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that they weren't as persistent as those wanting livery sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

EA has three wildly successful sports titles that it re-releases every year (at full 70 euro asking prices) with incremental updates to core features, some of which will have included new features to share custom made content. I think the vast majority of players would be happy at paying considerably less than the price of a new game to get those updates every year.

Nobody who bought TSW2 had any expectation that they were getting a sharing functionality for liveries and scenarios, it is a feature completely new to the game, and as such it is not remotely strange that it comes with an asking price. The format of this upgrade package may be odd, but charging for it is not.

• Like Like x 6
  18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The basic Club should be free, we pay quite handsomely for the content anyway to the tune of £24.99 a pop for a full price DLC. The old reasoning applies, someone who sees a repaint or, eventually, a scenario they like might then buy a DLC they wouldn't have bothered with.

• Like Like x 5
  19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I completely agree and I think this is the real problem. Why link those two togheter if they have almost nothing in common? I would go even a step further and separate the SKA, SPG and BKL updates with the option of a season pass like RH.

I have no idea about the pricing, but let's say the cost for each is a bit below a loco DLC, for example €10 for a singular content pack, and the season pass for €15 or €20. And then either sell the club for a small fee (like €3 - if the reason of paying for it is just to make sure not everyone uploads whatever they have created) or release it for free.

I'm guessing the final price won't be higher than €30 (£25) and considering I would only buy this pack for SKA and the club it's a bit annoying... it seems like unless you are passionate about everything they want to include you'll end up paying for something you don't want by including so many completely different things in one pack (more realism in SKA, completely fictional stuff on BKL and SPG and the club).

I've been asking for the BR423 on SKA since the release of HMA, so I won't complain, but it just seems odd.

• Like Like x 4
  20. chieflongshin

I cannot remember when I bought my car that I had to have the one next to it included. Likewise I don’t end up having to include lots of items on my shopping I don’t want when I go for milk…..

That said we live in a world whereby sometimes when we want one thing you have to have another.

£6 for livery sharing
    £6 for content
    £11.99 for both.

Would something like that not have been feasible? I assume we’re paying for the infrastructure in the back.

• Like Like x 3
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Whether it's "fair" that the sharing function is included in a paid DLC rather than a free update is another question; but I think it's foolish, a strategic misstep on DTG's part- the success of any community-participation regime, especially one based on user content, depends on whether there is a critical mass of users engaged. Restricting the user base to that subset willing to pay extra for it hobbles the horse right out of the gate.

• Like Like x 13
  22. tallboy7648

That is understandable which makes me wonder why not have it seperate to begin with? Games like Microsoft Flight Simulator and Forza for example allow players to share liveries and in Forza Horizon 5 for instance you can even make your own track and share it which I think is cool. But not everyone would use that feature. Just like some people who will get this pack but probably won't use the feature. Also sharing content is usually a core part of any game that has that option as well

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Also the fact that on PC it can already be done for free and with less restrictions makes it very unappealing for those on PC. Why pay for something that's a inferior version of what you already have? The answer for many of them is that they won't.
    Also I believe Microsoft have a entire game which is basically a game maker, and that allows you to upload games online. The thing is stupidly powerful for what it is, people have been able to do insane things with it. Shame that I for the life of me can't remember the name of the darn thing, ah well.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's particularly strange when you consider that DTG have never charged a dime for any of the editorial content that comes free of charge with Train Simulator, viz: the ability to share liveries, repaints, scenarios, even entire routes and locos.
    I have no interest in painting my own liveries or creating my own scenarios, so I will buy or not depending entirely on any new content and ignore the rest of it.
    But, again, the restrictiveness and " close to the vest " nature of TSW, contrasts sharply with the openness and unfettered community involvement of TS.
    It's a worrying trend.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

User-created content sharing tools should be free.

I'm more than willing to pay for new liveries, scenarios, etc. on the other side.

As I already said, DTG lost their minds on this one.

• Like Like x 7
  26. tallboy7648

Yes i am aware that it wasn't part of tsw2 when it came out (although it probably should've been when it released but that's another topic for another day.) But here's the thing, no game that has sharing functionality included tells users to buy something in order to use it. If a game company were to introduce it into a game they already released it tends to not be behind a paywall. In the case of EA yearly releases of sports games, yes they can be viewed as updates that have some new features, but they are actually sepereate games. So if a new feature was to be introduced in F1 2022 next year such as a Red Flag for example that would be fine because it is a sepreate game from F1 2021. In the case of the creators club, it's not a feature for a sepreate game.

In tsw2 at least on the PC side anyway there was already a way for users to share liveries without any restrictions and you didn't have to pay a dime to do that. The restrictions that will come with livery sharing may make this unappealing for some pc players. In Train Simulator, you could share liveries and scenarios for free so I don't understand why lock this feature behind a paywall. This doesn't happen in any game hence why I find it strange.

And this isn't me saying that the BKL, SKA, and SPG expansion pack should be free. In fact I hope that they can be released as separate dlc like how rush hour had separate dlc because personally I only see myself wanting the 423 for SKA in it's DB S-Bahn Koln format. But the ablity to share user created content should be free in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think Kodu Game Lab is what you are talking about.

To the topic, yeah I think it's bad but also, could it be because of the manual work related to checking submissions? In that case (and not only) I think we should also have a free offline option where you can just pull a scenario or livery file from the game in a streamlined way and share it however you want with no restrictions.

This probably wouldn't work on consoles but modding there without developer's involvement is an age-old problem as far as I know.

28. solicitr

I may very well buy the pack just for the liveries/423 and added services. It's possible shared scenarios can produce something fun. But I will continue to develop my liveries for, and share them on, the community modding sites, because I have precisely zero interest in doing make-believe or genericized liveries. Not worth the bother.

• Like Like x 8
  29. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

No it's not, I finally remembered it, it's called Dreams. and it's a PlayStation game, not a Xbox game like I said it was, which explains why I couldn't figure it out.
    Moderation costs are present for any such service, it's not like this is some new concept DTG have came up with. It would probably be server costs if anything, but even that would be shaky considering that online on PC is almost always free, and many games have servers despite that, even some smaller indie titles.

• Like Like x 1
  30. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this sharing being an additional cost, there is a precedent for such sharing aspects in triple A games so it isn’t a new concept, I do like the idea of expansion of content on older routes, seems to keep them “fresh” from a game play point of view and a reason to incentivize a revisit. The fact the expansion is bundled with the sharing component doesn’t ruffle my feathers either… if just fictional liveries, will probably never use it, some decent scenarios, now there is a reason to use it.

As to determining pricing as a provider, that is an interesting process. Starting out as a consultant I priced my services at what I thought was a reasonable rate but wasn’t getting many inquiries for my service. A fellow consultant stated I wasn’t charging enough, Doubled my rate and got more work than I could handle. The point being, the market will decide if this is a good strategy or not. My guess, as is evident from other such schemes in other software, it will be moderately successful.

• Like Like x 8
  31. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I just wish it wasn't all bundled together. Let the customer decide which parts they want to pay for.

• Like Like x 4
  32. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

It definitely should be sold separate from the "expansion pack." Which isn't much of an expansion, in my honest opinion.

The Sandpatch "expansion" is really disappointing, you get a new livery on an unchanged loco that'll still have a stupid horn. And a couple "railfan" scenarios and services. Could've done a backdated timetable set in the '90s when you'd actually see former Clinchfield SD40s running on Sandpatch grade; in CSX paint alongside other locos. Or better yet develop a loco dlc for CRR and expand on its bare bones service timetable...

• Like Like x 3
  33. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Simple - its so players have no other option than to accept a paywall if they want to have sharing capabilities. This could've easily been separate.

DTG are well aware of what they are doing here and its honestly such a sh*tty attitude to have other than to think how can we make more money. A core feature such as sharing capabilities should NEVER be locked behind a paywall.

• Like Like x 15
  34. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

I understand why the livery editor is copyright restricted and have no argument with the logic. The thing is why do I want it to make the game less immersive -with admittedly skillfully created- content?
    With this in mind conversly more heritage tours or even expansion of stock with existing livery with creators club scenarios...I would be more incenivised to buy routes that have the required stock for this but that incentive is being negated by a charge on top of the purchase to do so <realy? face>

• Like Like x 1
  35. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

LOL this company have lost their minds. Hilarious.

• Like Like x 5
  36. chieflongshin

Someone else mentioned earlier on, we already have a livery editor we can share them on for. FREE. Are we missing a truck here that this is just for console players and less savvy pc.

All this will do is push more functionality being built underground.

• Like Like x 1
  37. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I watched the stream and must have missed where this was a paid thing. All I heard was Matt say several times it would be a subscription service but not in the monetary sense

38. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I assume they are calling it a paywall because you have to buy an expansion pack to be able to use it.

I agree with you. Matt was very clear that subscription was subscribing to particular content, in the way you would subscribe to an email newsletter or podcast. Not a monetary subscription.

• Like Like x 1
  39. chieflongshin

If I understand correct the livery sharing is a bolt on to an upcoming expansion pack. The concern being no money for expansion pack no more y for livery editor. A stealth paywall for those with no interest in the expansion.
    Yes it may only be £xxx but it's still a bit cheeky.

Snowrunner, farming sim, all have this functionality for free. You can access as part of the core vanilla game. Like them you choose a mod and "subscribe" (non monetarily) to it. Anytime the creator of said mod updates it you get it

Truthfully with the mods pc have it's a bit of a non starter in some ways to grumble about it but for console and PS4 it's a different story

• Like Like x 1
  40. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I honestly interpreted it as being released at the same time as the expansion pack, rather than being part of it. Could be wrong

41. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Its all part of one thing, marketed as the ‘Creators Club’. Hence the backlash in it (sharing capabilities) being locked behind a paywall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

It's part of it. From the roadmap:
    If the pack was free, I think they'd have mentioned it by now.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The point is that going forwards anyone starting TSW2 from scratch will have to go and buy this pack. What happens when these three routes aren't the base routes anymore? It will make zero sense for the creation club access to be part of a DLC pack for 3 specific routes they might not own.

• Like Like x 1
  44. tallboy7648

And this thread wouldn't have been created

45. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

An updated on Creators Club was given in the latest roadmap update:

So good news everyone, creators club will not be put behind a paywall after all. Probably for the best, I could only imagine the outcry if it was actually going to be that way. Thankfully, we have all going to dogged that bullet.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's good news. Good to see DTG listened to our feedback on this one. :)

• Like Like x 1
  47. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Thank god and thanks DTG for listening

• Like Like x 5
  48. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yes, it clearly is a great change. Even despite the legal restrictions, it will help the livery sharing be much more useful. Hopefully they will be able to negotiate some kind of deal with the railway operators so one can replicate real world liveries as well.

• Like Like x 2
  49. solicitr

I suppose in the interim one thing I could do is leased freight wagons with the fictional "DTGX" markings.

• Like Like x 2
  50. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Legally they are in a better position if they can show no financial gain from members activities.

• Like Like x 1