Throttle Percentage Increments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greywulf, Feb 9, 2019.

1. greywulf

greywulf New Member

Why does the throttle jump from zero to 14% regardless if I try to catch a lower increment between zero and 14% using keyboard or Raildriver?

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Which loco' are you asking about? Some have notched throttles, others don't.

3. greywulf

greywulf New Member

The "notched" locomotives (1,2,3 etc) are ok for me I am talking about the ones that are in percentages like 1%,2%,3%,4,%5%....etc. The throttle goes from 0% to the first stop which is 14% then it calms down in the higher percentages once above 14% like 33%,34%, 35% are ok it's the initial "get going" from 0% jumping to 14% and nothing in between those numbers.

4. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

Some loco's need a good burst of energy to get going and shift all that heavy weight they are carrying and a jump to a mere 14% is nothing really.
    When you start off in your car do you increase your throttle 1% at a time and let the engine stall because you wanted to increase throttle in 1% increments?
    No I didn't think so. Imagine all the poor people stuck behind you at traffic lights as you pull off in 1% at a time acceleration. Oh dear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. greywulf

greywulf New Member

Aside from "getting started" to move those Locomotives I noticed that other Train simulators like Run 8 and Trainz allow for more precise increment control especially on the throttle AFTER gaining speed and are underway. That is an important control that should be in smaller controllable increments after gaining starting speed.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Although the throttle shows a percentage they cannot actually replicate each individual percentage, and I doubt you could in real life
    Many "not notched" trains will actually still stick to 25%, 50% 75% 100% or some will go from o to 37% for some strange reason.
    All part of learning each unit

And then you have the "tap driven units" which would completely differently