Timetable Tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rudolf, May 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I created the initial version of a tool that you may use to design Timetables. I have TSW timetable mode in mind as a primary drive to create such a tool, but you can use it as well for TS2020 or other transport simulations (at least I think). The only thing you now need is the content editor ...

TimetableTool.png

Download link: https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator

As you see in this example, you can generate views that show where trains meet each other and build timetables from repeated services. I think this is cool. The version I publish now is a preview version. I really would love to get your feedback and wishes.
    You may ask why I do not finish the other projects first .. Well, there is a good reason I am learning a lot of new ways of working to create better programs and I needed a realistic not too complex project to get some experience. I will apply this new knowledge on my earlier projects and by the way, it was great fun making this.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Normally in the game the AI trains don't run the full length of the route.

Take Hamburg to Hannover - even if the player train does the full run the AI services going the opposite way only run for a short distance.
    Before you pass each train it could have started anywhere on the route and when it has passed there is no need to keep the train moving.

So I'm not sure what you gain from a timetable editor in TS2020?

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Agreed. Would it be possible to include line portals in the program so you could work out the best starting point and the best end point for the AI consists whether that be a station or a portal?

4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes you can do that. You can define for yourself which locations you include.It is very flexible.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I agree with that. It may be nice to be better able to plan in advance where trains will meet and what departure times you need to set. It is a very new development, we will see where it is useful and where not. I think for TS2020 the main feature will be that you can have an overview on where your trains are supposed to be. It is a design tool. For TS2020 I do this all in game now, by simulation and testing. If I can save a a number of simulation runs and see in advance what it should look like, I think it may simplify things a lot. Also, sometimes there are not so many portals along a route. In this case, AI trains will be in game for a longer time and may interact with each other.

It is new, give it a try, and tell me about missing features.

BTW version 0.2.0 is almost finished,I need to do the documentation update an then it's done.

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Version 0.2. is now available for download.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do you need to plan in advance where the trains will meet?
    It is your scenario and you can have the trains pass at any location you wish.

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes you can, but it is nice to know better what will happen if you design a scenario, so trains will pass where you wish. . For TSW hopefully it will be possible to create timetables with up to 300-4000 rides at a single day. You cannot test them all and you may like to create some variation in how things work, e.g. red signals, trains passing each other etcetera. This a tool like this will probably be indispensable. For TS20202 you can do without, but even then if you want to handle a lot of AI this may be helpful.