Timken's "four Aces" 1111

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by treid09, Jan 20, 2021.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello everyone,

I would like to suggest a new locomotive for TS 2021. Specifically, a new American steam locomotive. I believe that a new American steam locomotive from DTG or a third-party developer would a welcomed addition to the TS 2021 roster, and I believe that players are desirous of a new American steamer.

The Locomotive and its History

3448.1261041585.jpg

"The Timken Company is a global industrial leader with a growing portfolio of engineered bearings and power transmission product brands. With more than a century of knowledge and innovation, we continuously improve the reliability and efficiency of global industries to move the world forward." -- Timken's website "About Us" Statement

Timken Co. has long made roller bearing for railroad applications, such as locomotives and freight cars, but this wasn't always so. Timken had been trying to enter the railroad market for some time, namely by persuading a railroad to equip a locomotive with their roller bearings. Now, for those who might not understand why roller bearings would be preferred over traditional "bushings" (sacrificial sleeves that would slide over the pin and would take the wear and tear of the rods' friction), roller bearing are extremely free-rolling. They reasoned that if a locomotive were to be equipped with roller bearings, it would save much money by reducing the amount of traditional bearing and rod failures, and reduce maintenance by a significant amount. Railroads were reluctant to try roller bearings at all however, because they thought that the pounding of the rods and running gear (all associated connecting rods and cranks) would ruin the roller bearings, causing them to lock up. Ed Dickens, head of Union Pacific Heritage Program once said that a steam locomotive is "graceful chaos," and this is exactly what worried railroad about such precision bearing, free-rolling as they were.

Timken, determined to prove that its bearings could hold up to the toughest of conditions and locomotive forces, decided to have legendary locomotive builder, ALCO (insert wild applause here), create a typical 4-8-4 Northern that would be equipped with its roller bearings on all axles. Several other manufacturers contributed with their own components. The locomotive then demonstrated on 15 rail lines in all kinds of conditions from 1930 to 1932. The roller bearings performed flawlessly. So flawlessly, that the locomotive was able to pull heavier trains without the use of helper locomotives. The result: Timken entered the railroad market and several railroads began to equip some of their locomotives with roller bearings on main rods.
    R0dd824943dd536d9722b4b51dd5a3681.jpg
    (Here is a picture of how Timken demonstrated the free-rolling capabilities of its roller bearings. They had three men or women pull on a rope attached to coupler. They released the brakes, and the three people, were able to pull the locomotive along by hand!)

While on its tenure with the Northern Pacific, the 1111's firebox crown sheet, the uppermost portion of the firebox, was damaged by a fireman who let the water level drop too low. As a result, Timken sold the 1111 to NP, and it became their 2626, designated a class A-1. It then served its new owner on premier passenger trains until the end of steam on the NP.
    RVN00732.jpg
    (Here is Timken 1111, now NP class A-1 2626.)

(Information from Wikipedia Timken 1111 - Wikipedia , American Steam Locomotives: Design and Development 1880-1960, by William L. Withuhn.

Why is it called "Four Aces?"

Timken 1111 was known as the "Four Aces" locomotive because it was adorned with the four suits from a deck of playing cards (spade, heart, diamond, and club) on one of its domes and on the headlight bracket as seen in the photo below.
    DSC01028.jpg

Why Create Timken 1111

One of main reasons that I believe that Timken 1111 would be a great candidate for TS 2021 DLC is that the locomotive was a demonstrator. This means that the locomotive would be a perfect on any steam-era American route! Timken 1111 demonstrated on fifteen railroads, on such routes like the Pennsylvania (Horseshoe Curve), Union Pacific (Sherman Hill, Wasatch Grade), etc.

Also, the locomotive is simply a beautiful one. Well-proportioned, colorful, and having many other esthetic features that make it even more appealing is another reason to create no.1111 for TS 2021.

In summary, I believe that the "Four Aces" would be a hugely popular steam locomotive add-on for TS 2021, and I hope that DTG or a third-party developer gives it a consideration. Thank you for reading this proposal and God bless!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

oooohhhh yes! I'd love to see a locomotive like this come to TS! I like the almost "generic" look to the engine. With the power of re-skins, this loco would look right at home on any steam era class 1 railroad. I'm also a sucker for locomotives that have centered headlights and flying number boards.

• Like Like x 2
  3. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I too am for this loco being made. It's success showed the railroads that rollers were the future, and boy did it start a change. By the end of the steam era, if you were designing a modern steam loco, you had rollers on the rods and axles. Such a shame that such a milestone locomotive was scrapped before it could be saved. It most likely would've been on indoor display or used for mainline excursions nowadays had it been saved from the cutters torch. But that's in the past and there's no changing the past, no matter how much we might want to. BUT having a 1111 DLC would certainly help us play out "what was" and "what if."

• Like Like x 2
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks Buynot! It would indeed be at home on many lines. I didn't have time to finish the proposal, so check back in a few days to see some more pictures and info.

Take care,
    treid09

• Like Like x 2
  5. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks steammaster4449! You're right, its success helped pave the way towards what many called "steam's finest hour." Such a shame indeed that it was scrapped, but I hope that it will be reproduced. Please check back again soon, as I haven't had time to finish the proposal yet and will have more info on why it was called the "Four Aces."

Take care,
    treid09

• Like Like x 1