To Our North American & Canadian Cousins...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, May 19, 2021.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I like Burlington Northern (pre pumpkin) & Canadian Pacific... Can anyone from over the pond suggest any good freeware sites for locos, stock and routes please???

Thanks in advance

Eric

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Of course the first place to head over to is Railworks America, but it might be a slight problem since some of the downloads may be reskins of the US-only content.
    Michael (GreatNortherner) also has a BN SD7 model with both dynamics and no dynamics. http://www.golden-age-rails.com/packsrw/emdsd7bn.html
    Also for a good freeware route here's the BN Big Horn Sub also by GreatNortherner, however, it is a bit short, but perfect for running long-BN style coal drags. http://vnerrforums.com/nerw/index.php/routes/cb-q-big-horn-sub

If you're interested in third party payware, then I can suggest Travel By Train's BN pack.
    https://travelbytrain.ecwid.com/EMD-GE-Burlington-Northern-Complete-Edition-Add-On-p136218789
    Also Searchlight Simulations have BN SD40-2, a good and internationally available replacement for the Kuju one.
    https://www.store.searchlight-simulations.com/jr-sd40-2-bn-bundle

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

NEC Railfan I notice you have an AEM7 in Amtrak Ph3 livery - is that available to download from somewhere?
    I had it once and I thought it was on RW America but I cannot find it

Thanks

Peter

5. NEC Railfan

Yes it is actually available on Railworks America as part of the "Classic NEC Pack."

https://railworksamerica.com/index....classic-nec-repaints&catid=18:engine-repaints

However from what I recall sometimes the installation was a bit wonky, so you may have to mess around with files to get it to work. What I have in my profile picture is a new one with 4k textures and accurate livery colors, which is impending a public release, just got to get around to finishing the Amfleets.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

One other freeware route is Powder River Basin, however it does need a few payware assets, such as 3D Trains Tehachapi Loop Route as well as Soldier Summit, Sherman Hill, and Stevens Pass.
    http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19386

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ntypeman

That seems familiar for some reason... Is it BN based???

8. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I don't know what era the route creator set it in, but you can always run BN trains on it as a pre-1995 experience.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Did you manage to move the bodyside fleet numbers on your reskin?

Another question
    I have run a few Free Roams on the New York - New Haven and there does not appear to be any other AI trains
    If it just mine or do you have the same - I assume you have it

Thanks

Peter

10. NEC Railfan

I do own NYNH, but I don't recall there being any stock free roams out of the box, only custom ones I created to test reskins and such. Therefore I'm not too sure.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

My bad.
    I meant Quick Drive - it is set up for QD but the railway seems very quiet - Did a NH - Stamford with just me on the track

12. NEC Railfan

Hmm, well now that I think about it, I don't really remember there being AI trains, perhaps in order to help with the routing of trains, though it does break immersion since the New Haven line is the highest frequency line on Metro North which is in turn the second-busiest commuter rail network in the US after the LIRR.

In fact, I remember railfanning New Rochelle back in September (2020) during rush hour and it was the most hectic scene I've ever witnessed from an operations perspective. In fact multiple times I saw two M8s racing each other bound for Connecticut, one to Stamford and the other to New Haven. The Stamford train, being a local, stopped while the New Haven train continued on. I was even shot-blocked by an M8 while filming an Amtrak Northeast Regional. Definitely was fun, and there are some scenarios that recreate this, but as to answer the question, no, and probably for good reason, so that way no AI trains interfere with whether you want to take a local or express/intercity train.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I find that strange. The AI going the opposite way would not affect the player train.

14. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's very-very quiet. There is some AI but extremely minimal. Overall 2 or 3 during an end-to-end. I recall even the scenarios being a bit bland.
    I'm sure you know the ways to set it up, either they are visible from the get go (and start moving as you approach) or they are spawning. Could be something off with that.

On München-Augsburg I've come across the issue that am/pm is mixed up (or just wrong and coincidence), that specific QD is undriveable (there is a train ahead) but it's possible to fix it by moving the timetables in the editor once the scenario is generated.

15. ntypeman

Anyone know if there's any BN bethgon's or coalporters available???

Thanks

Eric

16. ntypeman

Ok... This has probably been brought up before...

I'd like to download the Powder River Basin add on but one of the dependencies is Steven's Pass which, yep, you guessed it, isn't available in the UK... :mad:

Is there any way of getting Steven's Pass via a workaround???

Eric

Edit / afterthought: Would it be possible for a friend who lives in the US to buy & pay for it then send me the Steam code??? (I'd obviously send him the money... lol... )

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The same question was asked in another thread

I think the answer is No as you are trying to find a way round a Block
    Your friend could purchase it and attempt to gift it to you but if Steam does not allow it someone would be out of packet

And I'm unsure if it is against Steam and/or DTG Rules

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

Looks like I'll have to settle with not having it...!!! :(

Eric

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member