Too Tight Shift Start

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MontyShrew, Nov 11, 2017.

1. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

On the Class 166 you can start at 02:15 and drive to Reading unless you have lighting fast reflexes and could do a number of tasks at the same time you might with speeding get into Reading at 02:22.
    Now as this is the start of shift surely the scenario would start you much earlier allowing you to safely turn everything on. Currently you have to leave things like lights till you get going.
    Then as you finish & get going for Twyford the train struggles to 66 mph. And is so quiet even at notch 7.
    I've played with graphical settings and volume to get the game just right. It's a shame a bit of thought couldn't have been taken into checking the timetable was possible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Spawn as walking then you have all the time of the world to take over the train ;)

3. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

You don't spawn in the timetabled scenarios, You start in the cab and it's too little time to get it set-up for the station, thankfully it's already running but you would hardly notice if you were using the sound of the engine to drive.

4. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

You can spawn walking in the service mode. Did it already for giving me more time to set up the train.

5. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I got there at 02:22:04.

Now, I do think the timings are quite tight but they're not impossible once you're familiar with the train you're driving. I followed these steps when playing that service, 2P02:
    1. Turn the reverser key and pull the reverser handle into Forward position.
    2. Reach up and switch Train Lighting on (that's the interior lights for the passengers) and then turn the headlights to Night.
    3. Turn around and switch the AWS isolation switch off and cancel the AWS alarm.
    4. Switch on the gauge illumination.
    5. Bring the Brake / Throttle handle into power notch of two.
    6. Because I was playing in the rain I also switched the wipers onto 75% once moving.
    I was able to do this all very quickly in the dark, without switching on the cab light, because I'm very familiar with the cab of the Class 166 and once you use it enough you'll be familiar too. Everything was done by looking around with the mouse except for moving the reversing handle and the wipers; that was with the keyboard.

As for speed:
    • The initial speed restriction is 10mph. With the Brake / Throttle handle at power notch of 2 you'll reach that target fairly rapidly and can bring the handle down to idle.
    • A short distance at the speed restriction is 15mph. I bring the handle to notch 3 and down to idle again once reached.
    • Soon you'll cross over some points where the speed increases to 25mph and then to 40mph. I bring the handle up to notch 4 and only accelerate to 30mph before dropping to handle to idle, as the speed drops to 30 up ahead. You could accelerate up to 40 and then brake down to 30 but you'll often lose more momentum than you intended and it'll cost you, at least in my experience.
    • Then it's just a case of coasting at 30 until you begin braking. I'd suggest waiting until you reach the start of the platform, in this case, before braking and watching your how fast you're decelerating. You may need to fan the brakes.
    Anyway, the first few times I played with the Class 166 I would've fudged all this up pretty badly. The more you use it, the more familiar and comfortable you'll get with it. I wouldn't be adept at doing this with the HST, for example, as I haven't used it yet. I've been working through the GWE services chronologically.

6. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Not breaking rules got there at 2:21:09 with keyboard hotkeys and 2:21:19 with visual controls. Even slowly coasting down the platform to the stopping point to not trip the TPWS. Couple improvements:

• Train lighting could be enabled later as there's no passengers yet
    • Tutorial recommends to start from notch 3 only for passenger comfort, nothing stops you from starting on notch 4-5 and getting to 7 soon after
    • " You could accelerate up to 40 and then brake down to 30 but you'll often lose more momentum than you intended and it'll cost you" - brakes on 166 are quite fast and precise, so just a bit of practice and getting to 1mph precision with them is no big deal.
    Having said that, that's just a fun experiment and I fully agree that player shouldn't be forced to do all this in a hurry to follow the schedule.

7. MontyShrew

MontyShrew New Member

It's like the Standard Mode on Train Simulator, if I recall speeding and general mad driving were in order to get your tick to complete a scenario.
    Have DTG just copied the timings of TS into TSW?

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

You didn't notice the posts above? You don't need to speed or to drive mad; you just need experience with the train.

9. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

And in TSW you don't need to be ontime to get the service ticked

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yes, as some respondents have claimed, with "practice" multi-tasking is possible even in TSW, but I'm with MontyShrew in thinking that a safety-minded, conscientious driver arrives early and sets up the assigned train carefully so as not to make potentially fatal errors. If this isn't regulation behavior on all railroads we have an explanation for the growing number of train wrecks.

11. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Growing number of train wrecks where?

I did say that I believe timings are tight and I do think that a driver should spawn into a service earlier if possible, perhaps by a minute, but I don't believe timings are so tight that you have to drive like a maniac to match the timetable.

Both myself and Jef-F managed it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  12. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I find the timings to be fine. I'll often get a few seconds of having the doors closed but still being told to wait because I arrived a little earlier than the timetable was set up for.

13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Certainly in the United States and I seem to recall reading about some in Europe as well. Perhaps it wasn't clear that I had shifted to citing the real world?