PlayStation Top Ten Touches In Train Sim World (ps4)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by synthetic.angel, Sep 1, 2019.

1. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

So, this is a thread for celebrating some (or most...!) of the fabulous artwork, route building, programming, and simulation features that make up the bulk of the Train Sim World simulation, on PS4. Below I have listed ten things that struck me as pure genius, made me smile, or made think "oooh, that was done rather well". I have chosen one "thing" or "impression" for each route/DLC that I own, plus a single "Outstanding" item at the end (which is ten, in total for me).

What would be on your list - of the really very good stuff? Here's mine:

NEC - Working the GP38-2 at night, with instrument lights gently glowing, and the headlights picking out reflections in the dark ahead.

RT - The "CrossRail" experience, that feeling you get that you are not chilling out and running an express train anymore, and you now have to become an assertive tube/metro driver, as you dive underground.

GWE - The detailed features in the Class 66 cab. I haven't figured out how to isolate the traction motors yet, but it's on my To Do list (I hope this is actually in the PS4 simulation)

WSR - All of the fantastic artwork and fine detail on the Class 09, both inside and out, including the ability to move the central gauge panel, depending on which driving position you take on.

NTP - The soundscape built into the Class 47 - totally amazing to me. If I close my eyes, then I struggle to believe that it's not completely real. (NB: I would have chosen the Leeds station build, except for the fact that it feels like you are in an episode of Prisoner, when you can't even see a passenger exit/concourse.)

MSB - Tempted to just say "everything". But I am going to single out the frequency and variety of the oncoming traffic, and their impact on you as they pass - particularly the long aviation tanker train. (NB: I wear a PSVR set most of the time, to get the cinema experience, and MSB never disappoints).

LIRR - The detailed P/X (points and crossings) at Hillside depot, and the approach from Hunterspoint to Long Island City stabling point (as the main line dives down). I also really like the Hunterspoint station build for its own sake, with it's mid platform entrance/exit to the roadside above. All of these areas seem convincingly real to me, or have the right atmosphere. It's also not technically easy to build out this area.

SFJ - Another "impression", as with RT - the transition from city to suburbia to industry to countryside to suburbia, as seen from a high up position in the (quieter) cab car is quite interesting - possibly mesmerising. It feels like a real route, even though I am not used to seeing a high speed route go through city blocks at street level through dozens of L/Xings.

Class 33 - A lit head code box that you can adjust to whatever head code you fancy. A super nice touch!

Generally outstanding extra - The OHLE (Over Head Line Equipment) as modelled on MSB. This is a triumph. The register on the catenary has been painstakingly built, so you can see the contact wire traverse the pick-up bar (so it doesn't wear out in one place...!). And the pantograph itself appears to have an utterly convincing real life spring rate, especially when the overhead wire dips. I would love to see sparks at night (a simple particle emitter and sound at certain points), but even without sparks... the OHLE is quite superb.

So - what did it for you?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

That's why we love this game despite all its flaws. Without a particular order, I love the small stations along the GWE route, especially Southall and Acton Main Line. They just need more detailed and less cartoonish textures. I love the 22nd Street Station outside San Francisco, so "urban"... I love everything about WSR, really, everything. I love the ups and downs of MSB and RSN,the best sceneries for nature lovers, in my opinion :D I though LIRR wasn't good, and it's full of bugs and stuttering, but if you look at my statistics, M7 is my n.1 train. Do you travel to Hunterspoint in scenario mode only, right? I love that little weird station too...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention RT: lovely German countryside and stylish underground stations, in particular Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz station. And with SWR, by far the smoothest TSW scenery.

4. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Here are my favourite things about the routes i
    own

Ntp: i absolutely love the run down dirty look it really captures the era. I love the sound of vintage diesels though they weren't considered vintage back then and i think the uk country side is beautiful(im not from the uk)

Tees valley: i love the transition from beautiful English towns and countryside to the heavy industrial. the sound of the 37 is awesome. And the beach noises at saltburn by the sea.
    Rsn: i love the beautiful german countryside, the afb system and one of the best locos in tsw tge db br 143

Msb: i love the beautiful german countryside and little villages, the spessart ramp, the db br 146, electronic destination boards and the number of services

Lirr: i love the transition from nyc to the suburbs, the branch lines, Jamaica station is beautiful and of course the m7 which is very nice to drive
    I own rt, nec and gwe but i dont play them much

• Like Like x 1
  5. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

We need rt and NEC in the ps store

6. Mattia

Mattia New Member

Wait a moment...
    You can use PS VR in this game?

7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

There is no actual VR, but I use the headset to project a ten metre wide cinema screen in front of me.

Wear headphones as well, and the aviation fuel train will scare the living daylights out of you when it passes. ;-)