Track Gradient Not Working

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by dangerousdave, May 25, 2022.

1. Hi thanks for looking

I'm pulling my hair out right now. The track gradient has gone totally wrong on my route

It seems when laying track that no matter what gradient I type in the box the track just points vertical towards the sky!

Created a new route and the gradients are fine, go back to my route and back to laying track vertical again.

Has anyone got any ideas please
    I've put hundreds of hours into this. It just seems like a waste of time now.

Thanks.

2. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Hey Dave,

Never seen this happen before. Can you attach some screenshots or even provide a short video showing what exactly is happening?

Thanks,
    Brandon

3. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I had that once awhile ago. I can’t remember exactly what it was but it was something simple. Try clicking on the “TV” screen in the left top flyout which brings the top right flyout on screen. Check that all the boxes are ticked. I think it was that. If anything strange happens on my screen during editing that’s the first place I check.

4. Thanks for the replies. I think I'm putting the wrong data into it. I thought it was the gradient data. For example I typed 1:200 but after watching a tutorial it's in meters I think? So a gradient of +1:200 (+0.5%) 224.91 meters. So from what I understand is you need to put 224.91 into the gradient box or am I wrong?
    Or does it really matter. I mean I can lay the track to terrain then adjust the tracks elevation manually, then it tells you the hight along the bottom of the screen in the editor.
    I need to go back to school.

Thanks.

5. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I have only developed US routes, so the gradient is in percentage scale. If i want to lay track at a 1% grade, I'll put 1.00 in the textbox

6. Oh I see. It seems that the Lower the number I put into that box the more vertical the track lays.

If I put in 200.00 in the text box (200%) the track will lay at a low% grade. If I put 1.00 for 1% it will lay the track vertically into the sky. I will post a video when I'm back at my other PC.

I tried Hayward.johns idea but it don't change anything.

Thanks.

7. pgdlrailworksl

pgdlrailworksl Member

8. You are exactly right.

I checked every inch of track and there was a couple of sections with a different track rule. I deleted those sections and replaced them under the routes track rule and now elevation is working again.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah it's best practice to have only one track rule for all the track laid in a route. That can cause serious issues. Glad it's resolved.

10. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I knew about one track rule but didn’t realise mixing could cause gradient tool problems but it makes sense if you should have one on a percent rule and another on a ratio rule the poor old game gets completely bamboozled (again). Always learning, the hard bit is remembering.

11. Yea I always use the same track rule, but I get so into track laying sometimes I forget that the editor sometimes starts with a different track rule, and before I know it I've layed several miles of track with the wrong rule!

Thanks.