Track Laying Advice

Discussion in 'PC Editor Discussion' started by fakenham, Oct 8, 2023.

1. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Just wondering if folks are doing OK with their track laying and have any tips and tricks? I've been laying track (60mph line speed) with auto curves selected, but now I'm thinking they aren't particularly smooth and superelevation isn't being automatically applied. Also I'm having trouble with the clothoid easement selection as it isn't giving me any control at all. However, when I tick snap to world it gives me more control but then the editor crashes 100% of the time.....

I think I may hold off any more work until a tutorial appears, because I can see myself undoing a lot of work.

• Like Like x 2
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

TBH had a couple of days off it. Just tried to get in to test a couple of tips that have appeared and it once again won't start until TSW4 has been run and updated (again). Bit cheesed off with the whole thing and beginning to think more trouble than it's worth.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ffabio89

ffabio89 Active Member

Had you lay your track following the Maps overlay? In this case I find more easily operated without easement and adding SuperElevation after the curve is complete...

...and yes, still having a crash every minute as you

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Lulon

Lulon Active Member

I don't use the snap to world option, I just place one track, change the height to something arbitrary using "Edit Start/End Height of Track Curves" so that the track is floating above the ground. Then I change the height of my custom satellite planes so that only the top of the rails sticks out. That way I can lay the tracks really precisely.
    (I don't know if this is possible using the Google Maps overlay as I don't have an API key)
    Looks like this:
    upload_2023-10-8_17-56-12.png

If the landscape gets too high, I hide the tile. After laying all tracks I manually adjust the height of the nodes. It's tedious but precise.
    And I don't use auto curves. I tried it once but didn't like it as it doesn't give much precision. I always try to guess the curve radius and set it as minimum radius. If it doesn't fit, I change the value. The design speed changes the length of the easement but most of the time it's a good idea to set it as the actual track speed. I had cases where there is 40 km/h allowed but I had to change design speed to 100 because the easement was so long. So I don't change anything but design speed and minimun curve radius.

Also most of the time my field of view is 20 - 40 as it helps a lot with straight tracks and large curves.
    Superelevation I also change at the end using an online calculator, not using the auto settings.
    And I never use the parallel tracks thing. For straight parallel tracks I sometimes copy and paste the tracks so it retains the rotation.

But so far I've had much success using the editor.
    upload_2023-10-8_18-9-44.png
    upload_2023-10-8_18-10-21.png

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

That's great guys, makes sense, thanks for taking the time to explain. But fiddly, but getting better results now.