Train And Station Announcements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by londonmidland, Jul 19, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is a long requested feature, which gets mentioned numerous of times by a vast number of people from the community, however we seem to be no closer as to it being a thing in TSW.

I realise that using the actual voiceover voice can cause copyright issues, as well as potentially being very expensive for use of it and/or for it to be specially recorded. There are a couple of solutions to this:

1.) Use a text-to-speech program online to make custom made messages.
    2.) Someone that works at DTG can make it themselves.
    3.) Contract it out to someone externally for someone to do it for you.

Onboard train announcements would make a world of difference. Especially whilst driving and/or travelling as a passenger. Currently it is a pretty silent journey when riding onboard trains.

Station announcements would also help the big issue TSW has, which is the lack of ambient sounds whilst stood at stations. Often it is quite literally silent whilst waiting for a train. It can be quite immersion breaking.

I understand DTG need to create a system for this. I am no engineer but seeing as we now have functional passenger information screens at stations, is this a step closer to making functional announcements a thing in TSW?

• Like Like x 9
  2. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I'm also no engineer but I think it would be a help as the game already has the information for the train. I don't think anything will be looked at, even internally, until England lockdown has eased enough. Matt has stated before you need a recording booth to get good enough quality audio to be used in the game and the one at DTG offices could not be used due to lockdown restrictions. This is the reason why Matt is the voice of all new DTG routes as his wife has a recording studio at home :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think judging by the generic announcements on GCC - I don't think it'd be impossible to attempt and get close to announcements.

I do of course realise that the GCC announcer wasn't the real one however they sounded very similar, a credit to them, and I think DTG could look at applying this to future routes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent Idea and for the German Routes, DTG will need Ingo Ruff for all train announcements including S8 Rhein-Ruhr Osten RE54/55 Main Spessart Bahn RE11 Haputstrecke Rhein-Ruhr.
    Note All Videos are by Kevin P
    S8 RRO

RE54/55 Main Spessart Bahn

RE11 HRR

5. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Would it actually be expensive to license? World of Subways got the real recordings a decade ago, for a budget game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t care who does the voices, even Matt if he’s up for it. I just want them in the game. They’ll add so much, I hope DTG can work on it soon. Just the ones we have on Cathcart Circle make a world of difference.

• Like Like x 5
  7. shinigamitrainfan

shinigamitrainfan New Member

I literally think of this every time I'm in the game. I would be truly excited to play these games more (and more willing to continue to buy future routes) if they embraced the idea of adding onboard train announcements and more station announcements.
    Right now, when I play a new route, it's really fun for a few hours but always leaves something to be desired honestly.

I've already seen some other low-budget games with this feature so I'm curious why it's not a hot ticket item for TSW2.