Train Coupling In Scenario Editor - Can It Be Done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neverhadawash, Mar 11, 2020.

1. neverhadawash

neverhadawash New Member

Can an AI train couple onto the back of player service? If not, can a player couple onto the back of AI service then switch to the front cab and drive it?

Also, if I have 2 AI consists that get coupled together can they then later be uncoupled and become 2 AI services that go in 2 different directions?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. Anthony Vo

Anthony Vo Member

not really as far as I know of for 95% of the question...
    It's possible for a player to couple to the back of an AI train and (possibly) be able to switch to the front cab. One of the base British steam scenarios (Somerset and Dorset I believe) has an AI Black 5 that supposedly dropped off freight at the scenario start point. You then later see it at the next station in the scenario. that's as close as you'll get to the AI uncoupling to anything. As for your last input, for one AI train to coupling or uncoupling from another AI train, then that definitely is not possible whereas it would just say that train A interferes with Train B because it is in the same signal block. I had one glitch though that I was in the same signal block as an AI train. Me and the AI train ended up having a not as explosive and radioactive Hinton train collision.

• Like Like x 1
  3. neverhadawash

neverhadawash New Member

OK so if I have player service couple onto the back of the AI service that will solve the first part. For the second, instead of having 2 AI services couple together and then later uncouple can I just create a single consist in the beginning and then have it go from station A to station B as 1 AI service then uncouple and form a second AI service?

4. Anthony Vo

Anthony Vo Member

nooooooo.....

5. neverhadawash

neverhadawash New Member

Thanks Anthony. I will have to think of a workaround then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Remember is a Scenario you drive from A to B - say London to Peterborough and as you travel along you will see other AI services.
    Unlike you those AI services are only doing a part journey.
    Stop at Stevenage and as you wait an express from Newcastle to London also arrives going the other way and departs.
    In the timings that train is sat on the track about 5 miles north of Stevenage waiting for a time to start, do it's short run to a point about 5 miles south of Stevenage and that is it done.

I was not sure why you needed two trains to arrive and split or couple - unless you are stopped in the station you are not going to see them.

Peter

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Some of what you want is possible, but only some.

You can drive a consist of multiple parts, drop those part off and then continue to drive, but there are caviats.
    The bit you leave is essentially "Dead stock" so you can't split the train and then that bit becomes it's own consist which will continue on it's way, so if you want to drive the front bit off, you can, but if you want to drive the back bit "forwards", well the dead stock will be in the way. I believe you could drive one way in, separate, then go the other way back out again, but you would have to remind the player to change ends to the rear before splitting

I would imagine you could do the same with AI trains, not sure as haven't tried to program say a shunter collecting wagons or dropping them as AI and then continuing

There are loads of services which split and go in different ways in real life (many split and attach at Haywards Heath for example) but this isn't very well simulated in TSx. It would be good to drive an 8 car train to HH, move to the middle whilst the train splits then see that bit go off towards the coast while you have to wait to proceed.