Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 08/03/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 8, 2022.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

MicrosoftTeams-image (80).jpg
    This week we talk about the progress being made with Spirit of Steam, Harlem Line, Creators Club Beta, and the upcoming changes planned for the Roadmap

Read the article here.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Hmm... Impressive with the wheel blur, a lot more smoother than what it already is now. This is gonna be a lot more funner to drive steam now because of this. Well done.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Good progress on the radial motion blur. And Avanti now being available is also a welcome addition.

• Like Like x 6
  4. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

To be honest my main priorities are the PS5 limit and data transfer from PS4 to PS5 and the preservation updates and I see they are still not ready and won’t be for sometime , To me they should be priority (along with other long term issues ) rather than yet more DLC that more often than not get released with various problems anyway and do not get fixed for ages .

• Like Like x 8
  5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Maybe my glass is half-empty today, but my take away:

Nothing new on the horizon

More delays to preserved collection

At least roadmap disappointment will only be once a month in the future- i'd say make it quarterly since so little is happening.

• Like Like x 20
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Like the wheel blur solution.

One question, can you clarify the status of creators club? It was announced as a beta and is mow removed from the roadmap. What did you learn? What needs to be changed for the first full release? When will the full release come? Is it planned already?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Not a bad roadmap , but not too much to discuss . Also , what’s that doing there ?

B20D7A49-0014-4B05-9C94-89ECF7409E26.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Loving the new motion blur for the Steam engine.

9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, Peninsula Corridor has moved well down the PC list. :(
    And I guess there is no connection between the LIRR M3/M7 and the Harlem M3A/M7A, because the former are now firmly in the basement.

Still, I like the new format of the Roadmap article, much more intuitive and informative, less cluttered. Monthly updates will be an improvement too, making progess clearer and better defined.

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

So, the preservation crews work has been delayed AGAIN. Why? What's going on? Matt said they would get it out ASAP, Adam said by the end of June, now it's the end of summer? Could we have a definite date? This year? Next year? Some for the summer release?
    Does this confusion look good? Kicking important updates down the road and disappointing customers with undeliverable projects, we deserve better.

• Like Like x 13
  11. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Interesting… changing to a monthly roadmap. I can understand this, because there really hasn’t been a lot going on from one roadmap to the other.
    But on the other hand, this also means we‘ll be losing the bi-weekly roadmap streams. These streams often go much more in-depth than the written article and provide a great way of connecting the developers with the community, so I‘m really sad about essentially losing half of these streams from now on (which also reduces the amount of time there is to answer questions by 50%).
    DTG, have you considered keeping the bi-weekly streams and just turning the ones that don’t coincide with a roadmap into general dev streams to answer questions, talk about specific topics and lead a relaxed discussion with the community?
    To summarize: I completely understand and support your decision to reduce the amount of roadmap articles, but would be very sad about losing the bi-weekly dev streams.

• Like Like x 16
  12. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Have to say, quite disappointed that road map is going to be monthly from now on. I found every two weeks to be a good balance.

• Like Like x 10
  13. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

The picture is from Dresden- Chemnitz

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

We expect most of the updates to be out significantly before the end of summer.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  15. speedy2972

speedy2972 Active Member

Are the updates going to be those pre-announced or further bug fixes, updates etc?

• Like Like x 2
  16. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Personally I'm unable to see it. Neither can I see the devblogs later on down the page. I've tried both Firefox & Edge.

• Like Like x 4
  17. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

The work hasn't been delayed, we've just had to reorder based on what needs to be done for each respective route, or any issues which have come up in testing. Peninsular Corridor has moved down, for instance, but the next thing on the list will fit in the slot it was originally going to have.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

So glad they're fixing the wheel blur. It's been a problem for years now (inherited from TSW1) and it looks sooooooo janky.

• Like Like x 5
  19. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to two weeks time and all the “where’s the roadmap” posts :)

• Like Like x 5
  20. DTG JD

It's something we'll take a look at. Certainly not out of the question, and there will likely be times where we'd like to provide an update on various things in the pipeline. The aim is to provide more information in the windows we have (the stream and forum comments were certainly suggesting repeated information made it feel 'stale'), and monthly felt like the right frequency with which to do that.

• Like Like x 6
  21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The motion blur improvement looks promising but it doesn’t show the wheel’s interaction with the track in the demo and that is where the biggest issue is seen with the current motion blur, so I’m hoping the improved version diminishes that.

I see that Creators Club Beta has been removed from the roadmap as it has been released. I would like to know at what pace are improvements going to be made? There have been some issues with the UI identified, such as the inability to scroll the descriptions on console, and other issues, and I was wondering whether it is now going to languish in this state for a significant period of time or whether work on the feature is going to continue currently and give us timely updates with improvements to the functionality across all platforms.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

,,and the most creations uploaded by any one individual is 51."
    Hey, i'm in a DTL article :D

But very interesting that the vast majority of mods in the CC are Liverys (3,665 mods, 2,884 of which are liveries, 781 are scenarios.)
    And with my now 60 scenarios that means roughly 7,5% of all Creators Club scenarios are by me.
    Thanks for those interesing statistics

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 13
  23. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Really disappointed with the changes to the roadmap. I wouldn't mind a move to a monthly format, if we have more info on what's coming up next. We have 4 routes and 1 loco on the roadmap, but this is far from what we saw in the original days of the roadmap where we knew what was coming months in advance. While I get that people expected stuff on the roadmap to come relatively quickly, I think a vital mistake here has catering to peoples expectations, instead of helping them understand that a roadmap is for the long term. I get there's also other factors to this, but things wouldn't feel as slow and disappointing if we had more things to look forward to. That's what had kept the roadmap exciting for me, is knowing just hoe much there is to look forward to. But as additions have slowed down, and the decisions was taken to put things on later and later into development, that excitement has reduced with it. That's just my thoughts and opinions on the matter at least.

The developments regard radial motion blur are nice, and the demo looks really good so far. The changes to the track with better snow and rust detail is also quite nice, although subtle. These however do little to make up for the disappointing roadmap unfortunately, even if they are great changes that I am pleased to see.

All in all, this is a pretty disappointing roadmap. Most of the changes made to the roadmap have only seemed to have made the roadmap more disappointing. Hopefully with the monthly update cycle, it'll give them a chance to make real improvements to the roadmap, not improvements that really aren't improvements. I get that they're trying, but they've been heading in the wrong direction for a long time now with the roadmap. Ultimately, I think the roadmap should go back to how it was when it was first started. Maybe not bring back all the bug fixes on the roadmap, unless major, as that was hard to keep track of, so removing them probably was a good thing.

• Like Like x 5
  24. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

This means either all ressources go into spirit of steam, or they have started projects, which arent ready for the roadmap.

The lack of loco addons has probably to do with the base collection of sos. A lot to do for the vehicle team ;).

8f, jubilee class, brakevan, 5 plank wagon, mineral wagon, conflat a, passenger coaches...and my personal asumption 1 or 2 steam loco dlcs already in planning or production.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I'm happy for the Steam fans.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Richard Kast

Richard Kast Member

The videos aren't showing up in Chrome either.
    I have managed to workout the link for the motion blur, try this removing the spaces
    https: // www.youtube.com / watch?v=pbscZEk1_wM

• Like Like x 1
  27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220308-090456_Chrome.jpg

So, im curious on how much will this cover.

For example, with the UP license, will we only get the basic UP shield? Or will the wings logo also be available? Will BNSF have only their newest logo, or their older ones as well. For something like the Southern Pacific, will we get both the older lettering and the later "Speed Lettering" font?

I think it would be great if DTG tries to get as many fonts and logos as possible with the approved branding, as it would help reduce the amount of layers wasted on trying to recreate logos, vs an actual design, details, and weathering.

28. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

On the other side the steam fans had to wait for 5 years now.

• Like Like x 1
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The first of them will as previously announced roll out this month, presumably just in advance of Harlem. It seems that the hope of releasing them in three monthly tranches March-April-May has been scotched, in large part because Peninsula Corridor failed testing and has to be done over. That implies therefore that next week we should be getting the updates for Bakerloo, SKA and perhaps MSB.

• Like Like x 2
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you were to plot ‘excitement at the new roadmap’ against time it would look like a Winter Olympics slalom ski slope. If you were to plot ‘disappointment at the new roadmap’ against time it would look like the kind of rocky mountain slope Edmund Hillary would get excited about tackling.

It started off as an exciting glimpse into what was happening behind the scenes from a position of previously knowing precious little and has, fortnight on fortnight, become less of a place to see dreams come true and more of a place to see either confusing info or info with little detail written down for reference. In general it’s a combination of too much anticipation from the community and a lack of quick progress to report from DTG and less willingness to give every detail away so cheaply now. The decision to publish monthly shows how little change each roadmap is expected to contain from now on and that will maybe increase the excitement again by the changes not being so minuscule with each article. It’s all potentially useful information, even the game of musical chairs that the Preservation Crew updates are playing (where every round has the same number of chairs, and no route is ever ‘out’) is providing something to look at, but publication of the roadmap hasn’t been an excitement inducing event for a long time. Rare exceptions come when that dream route of yours gets first announced, so it will occasionally give you what you want, depending on what your dreams are of course :)

• Like Like x 6
  31. DTG JD

There are improvements which will be rolled out, but they're not big enough in isolation to include within the Roadmap. They will come with other game updates.

• Like Like x 1
  32. DTG JD

That's the aim - to manage expectations though, this first batch will likely be 'what we have from approved licensors'. We'll add to it when we can, and when we can get good-quality logos from those licensors.

• Like Like x 1
  33. orb

orb Well-Known Member

That's great. It will give more time slots to do on Tuesdays various preview or gameplay streams, or even Q&As. After talking about updated or new things in the article, the answers to questions people were asking on stream (mostly about things that didn't move) were usually the same as 2 weeks before.

Would "Roadmap" be released now on 1st or 2nd Tuesday of a month or not any specific (this one is 2nd, so I'd assume the next one will be 2nd)?

• Like Like x 4
  34. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Good point seems like it be lifetime before class 150/2 sounds like proper sprinter

• Like Like x 1
  35. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Avanti branding allowed ✅

Now we just need that pendelino and the WCML to appear on the roadmap!

• Like Like x 7
  36. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Great work on the radial motion blur. We need to see how it interacts with the linear blur as scenery speeds by.

great work on the detail to track work too. Really nice improvements. Think these show progress is in the right direction. I just hope these details come to other routes in time (reflective signs from Dresden route is an example where something good like that gets left locked in one route)

• Like Like x 2
  37. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I know i was at least hoping that we will finally get the update to the Pennisula Corridor, and the other 2 rolling stock on this route, but unfortunately didn't happen. What went wrong, I thought Adam said it was already in the final stage of testing? And i was hoping for the LIRR to be on top with the Pennisula Corridor, but for some reason, it was moved down as you said to the basement. This is getting really crazy. DTG Really needs to step up their A Game, and also people should all be going back to the office since the covid case is dropping and many business are reopening.

I really do hope that they will still update the M7A and M3A on the LIRR, at least, even though they have been no progress in the preservation crew, at least we get something. I really do hope that Matt would let us know on the Thursday stream that they also rework the audio for the LIRR M3 and M7 as well.

I really do hope in the coming week and month, we will get the update, and more new content and results, especially because now office are reopen :D

• Like Like x 2
  38. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for this. Hopefully the glitch on the website will be fixed soon.

• Like Like x 1
  39. solicitr

At a guess, it failed the final stage of testing.

I thought bugs were bad things?

• Like Like x 2
  40. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Hopefully, the team would use this time to work really hard and make sure to squash all the bug and anything that would affect this update, especially this goes toward the QA Team which have been a letdown and not basically making another excuse when the time comes for a monthly update. :(

41. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I agree hopefully they will continue to stream but on different topics, such as the signaling class from Matt, along with other behind the scene stream, even though it's not a road map update stream.

42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

dtg_jd What do you mean by move done? Does it mean that it's finished and ready for the QA to test out the final product?

• Like Like x 1
  43. solicitr

What he means is that Pen Corr is going to need some work to fix whatever problems QA found, and then it has to go back through testing. So it winds up moving back in the queue behind those routes which have already passed testing, and those which are currently in testing.

44. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Who knows, maybe this will happen again, and they basically going to keep on doing this, cause as of right now, it just keeps getting pushed back, which i really do hope its not the case.

45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

"We spoke to our development team about one of the areas they have spent some extra time on with Harlem, and this is adding snow and rust on the tracks." It's really nice that they add this update, but what's the point of having it, if there is no snow slider option in-game currently. Does that mean that we would finally be able to control the slider for snow, and fog in-game after a long time? Cause currently its just grey out, no matter how high you set the Precipitation, wetness, wind strength, the snow slider is not able to be change, and just toggle to off, and grey out, as you can see from this picture
    upload_2022-3-8_13-30-44.jpeg
    upload_2022-3-8_13-31-42.jpeg

46. cadeshr6s

cadeshr6s Well-Known Member

Another Roadmap without a new German route :(

47. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Snow slider is available only between November and February.

(If you want snow in other months you need UE4 console unlocker.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I have said before that DTG jumps the gun when they say things are waiting to be released. Penninsular Corridor is another example, it was ready to go - now its in the bottom half of the list! Maybe these aren't straightforward fixes and it has to go through the testing process again.

I am starting to think one of the bottlenecks in the process of releasing the preservation content is the shear amount of bugs that are in the content when it arrives at QA meaning gets stuck in a loop and the fixes are significant enough they often introduce new bugs - rinse and repeat.

Changing code often creates more bugs than the process of writing new code, because the knock-on effects are harder to see.

So technically, Penninsular Corridor was made once and put through testing, probably failed and got fixed, now it is being altered and tested, and that failed so it now has to have fixes to the fixes, then test them, etc and so on...

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

it's never going to happen. The cause is physics, bad sounds is the effect. They refused to fix a similar issue on the BR204, can't see why it would be different for the Class 150.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Honestly, roadmap articles turning into a montly thing don't bother me much. Since small bugfixes are no longer listed on it, instead it only shows bigger projects that can take several months, there really is no need to post it every two week without anything changing. So I think it was the right call.

Now as for the radial motion blur, that is just awesome! Really glad they managed to find a solution for this problem, as it looks very good. I hope retrofitting it to older rolling stock won't be too difficult. A good step in better visual quality.
    Talking about visuals, the new snowy/rusty track render looks good. It's a small detail, but things like that can have a big impact on overall visuals. And I'm really happy to see any info regarding Harlem Line, as I'm looking forward to the route.

I'm also sad that Peninsula Corridor is getting delayed again, but I do hope it will be worth the wait. Sadly any route I'm interested in is far at the bottom of the list, which is a shame. I'm surprised that Bakerloo Line is at the top though. What is getting updated on Bakerloo?

• Like Like x 6