Guide Train Sim World 3 - A Guide To Driving The Ice 1

Discussion in 'FAQs & Guides' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 14, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Thank you- although the ICE1 or 3 on the Kassel run isn't exactly the most difficult train to drive..... The only challenge is deciding whether to take over the braking manually for a more accurate station stop.

But an actual MANUAL!!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. alexaeglir#6196

alexaeglir#6196 New Member

Great guide. Been an ICE fan ever since Köln-Aachen and München-Augsburg. My favourite is to hit the training center and loop the loop at 320 km/h. It's great fun

4. PortlandAreaRailfan

PortlandAreaRailfan Member

Im curious if you can uncouple the powercars from the coaches like seen in various scenarios and timetables. I would like to do this myself just for the sake of it

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

6. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

hey is there a way to change the brake type in the ICE 3 so it does not use the electric brake??? irl it does like, only rarely, do motor sounds, idk

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It works as it does in real life. The brakes are completely computer-controlled. First using the electrical brakes (no wear-off), then when additional braking force is required the airbrakes are blended in, and in emergency the magnetical brakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2023
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I just learned something interesting yesterday from a driver. I don’t know if it’s the same on the ICE 1, but this is apparently how it works on the ICE 3. You can actually control the brakes independently. Something like pushing down on the brake handle once switches from (mostly) electric to electric and pneumatic proportionally and keeping it pushed down switches to pneumatics only.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Interesting, maybe this is a safety feature incase one of the brake systems fail. I'm sure the official DB RiL (guideline) says to only make use of that in certain situations, not generally.

10. solicitr

Most locos with dynamic brakes have a cutout switch somewhere in the cab.

11. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Opportunity to educate an ignorant colonist: what changed between an ICE 1 and an ICE 3, and what happened to the ICE 2?

12. solicitr

The ICE 2 is alive and well, just not in TSW.

What happened between the 1 and 3 is mostly twenty years. The ICE 1 dates all the way back to the pre-merger Bundesbahn. Unlike the 3, which is an EMU, the 1 is a "sandwich" of unpowered coaches between two power cars like an HST (one reason it doesn't accelerate as well as the 3)

• Like Like x 2
  13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And the ICE2 has a power car and a DVT.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lamplight

I found it very interesting as well. The driver said that they have to use pneumatics only when approaching buffer stops because the electrics are more likely to fail, so that’s presumably in some RiL somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lamplight

Building on what solicitr and torfmeister already said, here’s a short overview:
    ICE 1: Two power cars and unpowered coaches - first high speed train specifically built for German rails.
    ICE 2: Same as ICE 1, but with only one power car and a cab car, reduced to half length train. Used for less popular routes.
    ICE 3: Completely new concept. EMU design. Build to run on European rails (in contrast to just German rails), which resulted in very different specifications in regards to loading gauge, top speed, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

and the ICE 2 can be coupled to double formations

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And the ICE1 power car was based on the BR120 :) (And please, DTG streamers - it's "Eye Cee Ee" not "Ice".

• Like Like x 1
  18. solicitr

It's "Ee Say Ay"

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ee Tsay Ay :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

no its "eye see eee", literally just pronounce the letters
    the german pronouncation of ICE does not have to be done internationally; as I already said, just pronounce the individual letters

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

22. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

that's (probably, sorry if I'm wrong) not entirely true. the power/head cars of the ICE V (class 410) have the same technology as the class 120, but the class 401, which came after the 410, uses new and/or different technology, hence the different sound that it produces etc.
    basically the 410 head cars are 120-impostors, who shapeshifted into an Intercity-Express (thats the worst among us reference I made, and I'm sorry)

23. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

okay

edit: quote disappeared
    edit 2: okay it's there

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  24. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

25. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

This may be exactly why people just say "ice". :)

26. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Always wondered why in some streams T-S-W was used instead of TrainSimWorld. 5 syllables vs 3.
    Sam was even better in naming it "TransportFev...doh! TrainSimWorld" :)

27. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

yeah you say Tee Es Double-U while we in germany simply go Te Es We, thats a lot shorter for real

28. solicitr

The first 20 trainsets used the 120/410 engineering. Subsequent power cars were built with GTO converters.

29. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I just stumbled across this guides thread while perusing the forums. Why are so few of the TSW3-related products covered by a manual? Yes, the tutorial system does help a lot, but, of course, it isn't available when I run into a problem while driving.

30. hurleyboy

hurleyboy Member

I see the tutorials more of a getting started and using additional resources to fill in the blanks. I had issue trying to find the AWS switch for the 150 and ended up watching a YouTube video. It would be great if there was sections explaining safety systems and even the use of lights (some tell you to use low beam, others high beam; some say to turn tail lights on and others not to, but don'texplain why).

My guess is mixture of cost to implement and perceived use of it (bit like COD removing single player as metrics showed only small percentage playing it). Also, when there is a large bank of knowledge being provided by the community, it could be seen as a waste of time to duplicate it.

31. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

The ICE3 is older than you think ;) The first variant was introduced in 1999, only 10 years after the BR401 (1989). This surprised me when I learned about it because the ICE3 (even the oldest variants) feel much more modern. It's also strange of DB to introduce another "flagship" so soon after the previous one. I guess they just needed more high speed trains and more importantly faster once since the ICE1 only is able to reach 280 km/h.