Train Sim World 3 Reveal: First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by skyMutt, Aug 10, 2022.

1. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

TLDR: Very pleased with the visuals and numerous miscellaneous additions that add a coherent feel to the game. List of questions and concerns listed below.

Coming from a player who's been around the TSW franchise since 2016, this new title sheds light onto what could be a new era for this game. No, I'm not saying that for show, I'm saying that because TSW3 appears to have some significant shifts in just the overall experience and feel of the game.

I was very delighted to see plenty of old concerns finally being addressed. From the lighting to the VFX to little details such as umbrellas, the world within TSW is finally starting to feel a lot more alive and dynamic.

While much of the new things shown off in the presentation really should have been in the game sooner, I'm just glad they're finally even there to begin with. This game really needed some quality-of-life updates.

From the UI to the new features and the overall presentation, there seems to finally be a consistent feel that connects everything to each other.
    That right there is one of the lingering issues that's been plaguing this game for a while, it needed a shift in design and philosophy.
    I want to stress this to those who work on this game: Keep this up!!
    A lot of what was shown here shouldn't be a one-off thing, it should be the start of what truly, finally feels like the future of train simulation.

With upcoming roadmap and streams on the horizon, I would like to bring up some questions that largely relate to the new features.

1.) Weather and volumetric clouds were something that was touched upon in the reveal, however, how does this effect certain weather conditions?
    Will this have any effect on how fog looks in-game? Does it interact with lighting in any way? (i.e. visible light cones)
    I would appreciate if more videos/clips of heavy rain/thunder/fog could be shown.

2.) With the lighting being completely reworked, what does this mean for night-time driving? Is the new eye-adaption feature going to allow me to see the world more clearly at night? Do the volumetric clouds light up over city/urban lighting?
    What about HDR?

3.) Regarding the preserved collection, it was very specifically mentioned that TSW2 content will be ported over just fine, however there was zero mention of TSW1/TSW2020 content. Are those being carried over as well? Or are those being ported at a later date?

4.) The new skies and skybox look fantastic, however, will this have any changes depending on weather or seasons? Or is it all just a single skybox texture?
    I.e. Will there be vivid pink/orange sunsets in warmer climates (like on Cajon Pass), or cold blue cloudy mornings (like on SEHS)? Does it change at all?

5.) Will any of the returning locos on the new routes (like the ICE 3 or the Class 395 Javelin) see any changes or upgrades to them?

I'm looking forward to learning more about Train Sim World 3, and I cannot wait to play it in the near future :D
    Let me know what you guys think of the reveal!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

TSW 2 Preserved Collection aka TSW 2020 Content will be ported over most definitely last time.I checked