Train Sim World Forums - A Not Entirely Serious Guide For Newbies

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by andrewandjane66, Jul 17, 2021.

1. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

If you are new to TSW, you may find you wish to contribute to the forums but are confused as to their purpose and concerned that you may be on the receiving end of negative comments from more experienced forum members. Having lurked, and occasionally posted on the forum for about twelve months I've finally got my head around how it all works and would like to share this for the benefit of newcomers.

The important thing to remember is that the forums are not about playing the game. If you post a question about playing the game you will get a quick, useful and polite reply from a member of the community, and where's the fun in that?

No, the full TSW experience starts with the Roadmap. The Roadmap is an article discussing everything Dovetail Games (DTG) are working on and is published with an accompanying livestream. Despite being a list of everything DTG are working on, you may ask, indeed it is expected that you ask, if DTG are working on things that are not on the list of things they are working on. The object is presumably to see if a member of DTG staff will lose their cool live on air. This hasn't happened yet, mainly because viewers ask about the same topics over and over again and the presenters have rehearsed their answers. Try not to pick topics such as steam, multiplayer, or routes on Train Simulator "which are easy to transfer over".

You should then identify the newest DLC on the Roadmap and post that you are "really excited about it". Speculate unrealistically about what it might contain.

After the next roadmap you should ask when it will be released. You should do this again after the next roadmap. At the third roadmap, post a complaint about how long it is taking to come out. Don't forget to tag two members of DTG staff to really get your point across.

Eventually your chosen DLC will get to the preview stream stage. Don't forget to post how excited you are for the stream and speculate wildly about the release date.

Having watched the stream, find something to complain about. This might include train noise, livery, the suitability of the locomotive or carriages to the route, the fact that the locomotive featured was undergoing maintenance a hundred miles away on the date represented in the game, or the fact that the route doesn't feature Aunty Margaret's house which is only 400 metres from the route. State that the DLC is not worth the price, (even though it represents months of work by DTG who are a business, not a charity, and unless people buy dlc they won't make any more.)

On release day, post that you will not buy the DLC until it is in a sale.

After two weeks, ask when the DLC will be on sale.

After two more weeks, complain that sales are not frequent enough. If you play TSW on Xbox you can also complain that DTG is deliberately ignoring Xbox players when it comes to sales.

When the route is eventually on sale, complain that the discount is not big enough and you will not buy it until you can save an extra pound. Xbox players can also insist that the game and all dlc is put on gamepass.

Choose the right dlc and you can string this along for twelve months or more before adopting a new one. All this time you should not let on that you buy every dlc the second it comes out and have got gold on every service in timetable mode.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think a more appropriate title would be:
    'Tactical Guide of pressuring to do what you want'

I don't think telling New Members to falsely claim they are waiting for sales, and encouraging the Xbox Debate - which, by the way, we KNOW is not Dovetail's fault - is a good policy. Perhaps a better policy is tell them to voice their OWN opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

I've edited the thread title to make my intent clear.

• Like Like x 2
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Also add that TSW is made to cater exclusively for MY tastes and anything else is rubbish and a waste of time.

6. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

You also need to ensure that the question you post during a livestream is not connected in any way to the route being streamed.

You should also make sure that you ask to hear the horn. Once the horn has been sounded, complain that you've heard that horn before.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Welcome to life and internet

9. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I feel embarrassed tbh, I forgot the part about adding a poll. stujoy will be disappointed, we all know how he enjoys a good poll :(
    I’ve fixed it now though :)

162E3BDE-4388-4C01-9FF6-D1BEEF4E20A6.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm still incredibly dissapointed you missed;
    • Ping DTG staff and say "can you make it happen"
    • Make a duplicate thread in off topic because this suggestion da best
    • Make the title platform specific. Nobody likes the [other platforms] that aren't deemed worth by YOU. "I pity the miss-guided" - suggester.

• Like Like x 2
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Finally, a poll I can get on board with. Yes. Yes and Yes.

• Like Like x 3