Train Sim World Load Time Test: Internal Vs. External Drive

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SimFan, Mar 14, 2018.

1. SimFan

SimFan Member

Just conducted an experiment to see whether which device is faster when loading TSW.

Setup:
    XBox One S 500GB
    5TB Seagate External USB 3.0 backup Plus Hard Drive

First I tested it on my external drive, after which I moved TSW to my internal drive and ran the test again, as indicated below.

I timed it starting by launching (not resuming) TSW from the home screen and ending when the acknowledgement with the safety PSA came up.

Results & Conclusion:
    External - 31.5 Secs
    Internal - 28.9

As you can see, there is a difference of only 2.6 seconds between load times on the external vs. the internal drives. Not too much of a difference to matter to me.

I do not have an Xbox One X, so I cannot test it on that particular system to really compare loading times with the both hard disk drives

These results are based on my own testing, so as famous last words, your mileage may vary :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

Just tested this on my One X.

It has an internal 1tb 7200rpm HDD and matching the same rules you had, going from launching to the warning screen I got 20.4 seconds. So a larger difference this time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SimFan

SimFan Member

So, going by your results, I can safely assume my One S has a 5400 RPM internal drive.

4. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure the One S is 5400rpm, they went with the higher speed on the X as it's a more premium console.

Would be interesting though if someone still had the large Xbox One Elite console as these had an SSD, which is even faster yet.

5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I find this interesting that internal is faster on your Xbox One S. Most portal 2.5inch USB3.0 HDD are 5400rpm as well and you aren't reading the OS off the external. Is your external drive a mains powered 3.5"?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. SimFan

SimFan Member

No, I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 4 port hub, which is in turn powered by my One S (Plugged into one of the USB ports at the back of my One S).

• Helpful Helpful x 1