1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Train Sim World Studio Update – Your Questions Answered

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 25, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last month when we caught up with Matt we found out more about the upcoming Train Sim World Editor Tools. We asked you to share any specific questions you had with us to address and we received lots of questions. So, this month, I would like to focus on giving you the answers!

READ MORE

• Upvote Upvote x 14
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing this James. :)

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I hope it’s getting close to getting this to us! :) Good read!

4. Lombra

Lombra Member

What about making routes that extend existing routes? Is that possible or would it require editing the existing route instead, thus falling under the same restrictions? And if so, does that mean future DLCs can't extend existing routes? (I'm sure you prioritise new routes, though, as you should)

5. Sintbert

Sintbert Active Member

As i understand it, you can extend a route without a problem as long as you have the uncooked source.. What you won't get for sold DLC without a special agreement with the original creator. Another thing is publishing the extension.. i think that will not work, you would have to publish the extension as new full route.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why don't the uncooked routes or assets get made available (for additional cost where applicable) which would then allow creators to use such things much more easily. Even if it's done outside of the usual Steam channels i'm sure there would be a trade in pre-constructed uncooked items, thinking UKTS type depository...

7. Anthony Pecoraro

Luke said they are trying to make it possible to edit existing routes.

8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Excellent read looking forward to the launch of the editor.

9. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I honestly think not being able to edit/expand on existing routes would be a step back. Especially when you have a route like the NEC: NY, which I still consider more of a demo, than an actual route, based on the start/end points, should be able to be expanded on, especially since that would be the most complex part of the route to recreate, should one actually want to build the entire length of the NEC in TSW.

10. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

To be fair it certainly does sound as if DTG would like to give us the ability to do that, at least to some extent. That said, there have certainly been other cases where DTG have said something similar and nothing seems to have happened e.g. flashing yellows on GWE where apparently the code is there but just doesn't activate for unknown reasons. I'm convinced it was only the sustained moaning and whinging that eventually persuaded DTG to start doing something about the engine simulations.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  11. Juxen

Juxen Active Member

As someone who has been previously annoyed with DTG for being silent about the editor or anything really "new" for TSW, this is a refreshingly open and honest series, and has been fairly timely. Keep up the great work!

Question regarding the editor/workflow: Upon creating a new route, do you try to create the landscape first in the basic UE4 editor, or do you find it easier to lay down track in the DTG track editor, then add in landscape later? Also, with the provisions for adding in world data (yay!), is there a plan or any potential feasibility for adding in terrain data, so that mountain ranges don't have to be added in by hand?

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  12. rftech

rftech New Member

Sounds really good to me,especially ability to use open street maps optionally because Google earth is becoming very problematical for many users(I wish DTG would make Open street Maps an optional replacement for Google earth in TS2019).
    Looking forward to any tutorials,good job DTG.

13. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

UE4 will be a challenge to work with!

14. Anthony Pecoraro

They probably import terrain data.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  15. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  17. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I think its safe to say that whatever you can do in normal unreal you can do in TSW as well. They do mention Speed Tree and Simplygon specifically, but there are all kinds of other utilities I bet you could use. Including landscape stuff like that. So while some people are going to be naysayers considering UE4 to be all terrible and junky because you can't edit someone else's stuff (which, to be fair, is probably for the best when it comes to protecting intellectual property) they fail to consider that the sky is really the limit with UE4.

I bet you could go crazy and make something like a bus you can drive/ride, even though the game is intended for trains. As such, my greatest fear right now is that people won't think outside the box, and will limit their creativity to what they remember from TS2019's editor, instead of doing some actual new stuff.

• Upvote Upvote x 5
  18. Juxen

Juxen Active Member

After playing with UE4 and finding a built-in First Person Shooter function (and shooting beach balls around), it's entirely possible to have a messed-up version of Capture the Flag involving a flag and a 50-mile route. I keep forgetting how robust UE4 is.

19. Anthony Pecoraro

If multiplayer ever comes in, you could play hide and seek. Especially in RSN because of all the hiding places.

20. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

As much as that is totally not intended, it would work! So yeah...I do want to see what new features and modes creators will think of...

21. GibbseyNZ

GibbseyNZ New Member

One idea I had thought is once we have multiplayer is a shunting focused route where 1 person drives the loco and the other person walks around/rides the loco to switch points and couple/uncouple wagons. Couple possibly even have a signalman/dispatcher option where you act as a signal box operator to control trains through a section of track or station.

• Upvote Upvote x 5
  22. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Thanks DTG for giving us an update, it is really appreciated.

I can't wait to go to the workshop and download some scenarios for TSW!

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  23. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Can't wait is a popular quote in every gaming community by the way. :)

• Upvote Upvote x 1