PC Uevr - Train Sim World Vr

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by AVeryFatElf, Oct 6, 2022.

1. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

2024 UPDATE:
    UEVR has now been released and along with that, you can now play TSW in VR!

Download the UEVR Tool/Mod here: https://uevr.io/

Watch these videos to get setup:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyE0aREJRIBLMQREfAFXKSQydoI-h4Vfh&si=OSOcHxo5XzVaR8wM

I can happily say that this seriously bridges an immersion gap that has made the game much more playable for me and others - the more people who have tried this have come back saying how much better they enjoy playing TSW in VR, I dont blame them!

I recently made a post in this thread listing positives/negatives, it's probably worth I post it here too:

Positives:
    • Practically all critical systems work making the game very playable with UEVR.
      • Signals, speedboards, 3d markers for objectives and train stop markers all appear as they should.
      • Visually, it appears most parts of the world and locos and related all render as expected
      • HUD renders as expected but does have some problems, will post below separately.
    • Immersion
      • As expected, the levels of immersion are immense with a mod like this. Anyone familiar with VR is aware of the sense of scale that you notice when you are using VR in any kind of simulator be that flight, racing, hunting etc.
      • Sense of speed is incredible, especially on faster routes or fast locos/consists.
      • Being able to gauge coming into platforms is very very cool. You could kinda eyeball it with enough practice on a 2D screen but being able to come into a platform and feel how fast you are going whilst referencing the platform, it just really adds into the immersion and realism.
    • In-Game Menus
      • These function exactly as you would expect. with UEVR you do need to make sure you use the option to display the mouse but beyond that, works completely as expected.
    Negatives:
    • HUD Renders and displays information as it should but any markers that are 2D and exist in the HUD area don't always make a lot of sense.
      • Any markers pointing to buttons/parts/player proximity are hard to decipher as to what they are pointing at due to existing on a plane that doesn't quite align with either eye. That being said, this can be sidestepped if you know the keyboard shortcut or spend time hovering your mouse until you are able to interact with the area. It can slow the game down if your train has a complicated setup I have found.
    • Render Issues
      • Any physics based piping in the game only renders in one eye. Only an issue if ghosting annoys you.
      • The flares on signal aspects also only render in one eye but is not much of a problem depending how picky you are being (IMHO).
    • FPS drops in built up areas but again this is something to be expected. Lowering your settings can help this.
    Conclusion:
    Honestly, UEVR gets you 90% there and thats enough for me and what seems most people. The brilliance of UEVR is that the creator of it made if possible to write plugins which are loaded alongside the injection of the VR components. I believe they have to be coded in C++/UE Blueprints and you just pop them into a folder with UEVR and import them in. This opens the door to people making motion control support for games which in the case for TSW, I hope someone does come along and write something which can be used by many. Being able to use your motion controllers would be a dream come true for a game like this. Being able to press the buttons, pull levers etc would make playing the game in VR a breeze and also complete the immersion.

I'll be sticking about to help people where I can but I hope this helps people see that its worth giving VR a shot. The fact a mod like this can work so well blows my mind. If there's room for a collaborative effort with DTG to get the remaining 10% there with motion control support, I'd be more than happy to make sure any devs interested get the right information from the UEVR project. You can see a lot of his work and more here: https://uevr.io/

My Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
    32GB RAM
    Windows 10
    HMD/VR Headset: Quest 2 (w/ Virtual Desktop)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Experience as of 10th January 2024:
    So I just wanted to give another update as to my experience with playing TSW in VR, it's been really great if I am honest.

If you can run the minimal hud (found in the accessibility menu) and track monitor with the upcoming speeds displayed in it, I had my most immersive experience last night whilst doing the Birmingham Cross City DLC. Getting my seat to the right height, and being able to learn the controls from the keyboard made it such a fun experience. Taking a service up to one of the stations, I had to couple to another train in front before continuing. What I was able to do in VR that i can't do in the 2D version was that I was able to stand up and lean over my desk (both in real life and the cab controls in VR) so I could see how close i was to the train in front so that I could approach, halt and then move forward to couple without being too rough.

One thing I found massively beneficial too was trying to steal frames from lowering other settings and putting them towards bumping up the Screen Percentage option. This really makes the distance much more crispier.

For what its worth, for anyone struggling with buttons/levers, I will list handy keyboard controls below:

CTRL + W: Master Key (on/off)
    SHIFT + ENTER: Safety Systems/AWS (you might need to still use the cab switch lever in older UK locos)
    CTRL + ENTER: DSD (on/off)
    Y: Left Doors
    U: Right Doors
    I: Instrument Lights
    L: Cab Lights
    B: Buzzer

Hopefully this helps, playing this game at the moment in VR is the secret sauce for me right now. Being much better focused whilst also just taking in so much more. Once you've gotten used to the controls and general braking force of a loco/consist, being able to truly eyeball the stop into a station is way more fun.

If anyone is on the fence please feel free to ping me any questions.

As another minor PSA: This game with UEVR can be generally smooth - as expected its not judder free but you can get it running very very smoothly with the right settings. Obviously like with anything VR related, your computer spec is very dependent on the outcome of your experience. Mid-tier and above is really were you need to be for VR gaming in some respects, more so for UEVR because you'll be playing games that weren't optimised for VR. Your best bet is to adjust your in-game settings until you are happy.

I can't stress enough that openXR for a lot of games is a monumental improvement in framerates if your headset supports it. If you have a quest 2 or 3, ACW via Virtual Desktop is a game changer. Keeps things a bit smoother when you get to chunky parts of the route.

=======================================================

ARCHIVED INITIAL POST - 2022

So I just wanted to say that I've been in conversation with someone working on a mod to bring VR to any Unreal Engine 4+ game and I can VERY excitedly say that I've seen some initial test footage of the mod working in TSW, UI intact (not sure if markers in the distance are visible yet and such) and that it appears to be working in its early stages, even with TSW. There's a slight shader issue from what I've been told but it can be fixed easily, its the best and closest we'll get to a full blown implementation of VR unofficially so far and I can't wait to share any further developments.

As of writing this i've just been given permission to show it working, whilst bearing in mind that it's also still being worked on as a mod itself so respect that this is a WIP and not the finished version by any means:
    Video 1:

Video 2: (Added 14/4/23)

I'm a firm believer this feature should have been implemented by DTG but alas, it was not and they have their reasons.

So I guess there we have it. I'm hoping to post updates as things develop and I'm also hoping to gain access ASAP once it goes public as so many test videos from other games show it's got massive potential including motion controller support which can be coded in by people who know what they're doing.

Edit:

For what it’s worth I should definitely make it clear should this blow up:

In no way am I affiliated with PrayDog and his work. I’m simply sharing information on a WIP mod that will enable TSW and other Unreal Engine 4 (and above) based games to run in VR despite not being shipped in VR.

That said, as has already been said, I’ll simply be posting any developments as they become available.

In most cases, unless someone from his team posts here, any updates about the mod will likely come from me or anyone else monitoring things closely.
    I ask very kindly that if anyone who’s hotly anticipating this mod not to ask when it’s available as I’ll be posting at the earliest opportunity of when it’s available publicly.

If you have the ability to code and can work with the Unreal Engine along with the VR capability of the engine - please drop me a message or reply with a note of interest and i can send you the details. There is headroom for motion controller support.

DISCORD THREAD (Train Sim Community Discord): https://discord.com/channels/373055767642898433/1024072305082646559

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 31
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Looks great but my only concern is the frame drops which are sure to occur on the more busier routes. Anything less than a stable 90Hz refresh rate results in a quite nauseating experience (which is one of the reasons it hasn't been officially released)

3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Looks interesting, I look forward to seeing more.

Matt.

• Like Like x 11
  4. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere it's slated for a Q1 or Q2 release in 2023. Is that near the mark or just Internet standard facts?

Can't see the video but might be my phone.
    Very excited about this. Thanks for keeping us updated

5. DTG Matt

You can quite clearly see the effects of Asynchronous Timewarp present in the video (the black bars to the sides when the player turns quickly) - which means drops in framerate won't really have much impact on the perceived framerate - I've played FSX many years ago on a bad laptop that managed about 20fps, but with ATW it felt perfectly fine because the reaction to turning your head was flawless. Sounds odd but it works really well.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. AVeryFatElf

I would say for now that whatever you see until it’s either formally released or someone tweaks the graphical settings (right now it’ll be far from optimised) you’ll absolutely see frame drops and artifacting.
    Again this video is purely to show that it’s possible and that the mod in essence works as is (with tweaking). In an ideal world, either myself and/or others will try to take on trying to understand what optimisations can be made. There are some shaders and post processing which will likely be disabled which will be a boost frame rate significantly as most gets turned off anyways for VR versions of games.

7. AVeryFatElf

I’ve not heard anything yet but the best place to keep track of it would be the Flat2VR discord where praydog and other modders are posting updates about other projects, including (but not limited to) the recent Half Life 2 VR mod.

I think he’s wanting to release this in a high quality state so that it’s easy to configure for games and is somewhat user friendly.

I think the other really interesting possibility was that it was mentioned motion controllers could be used and injected into the game too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The quest two has the asynchronous space warp (or something) that boost fps. The key thing here is how it works under stress and what it actually looks like walking about and through the headset itself. Maybe this might be the prod of interest if it takes off that Matt needs to arm wrestle the bean counters with to comply :D

9. DTG Matt

Have to see how it goes. I don't need this to prove the value of VR to the board because I already did that with TS1 and early demo's of TSW in-house before SPG released, but it would be good to see player feedback certainly. Though again - I think everyone I demo'd the prototype TS1 VR implementation to (including those at Gamescom the year it went there) were blown away by it, so i'm not expecting much different feedback here tbh :)

FYI the prototype TS1 VR implementation was integrated into TS2014, and based on the current-at-the-time-and-now-so-desupported-its-not-funny 0.4 SDK - so no, it's long gone into history :) It was never released because it was missing huge amounts - it was horrible to get into the game via a menu that was *not* VR supported and required holding eyes shut to make it less nauseating, and once in the game things like particle effects, shadows etc - anything rendered after the deferred rendering stage - wasn't included in the VR display, plus no HUD, no gameplay instructions, popups, anything. Just gave you an awesome driving experience and nothing else. I think the command line to activate it did actually go out and may even still be there - but unless you can find a DK2 headset and an 0.4 SDK - and even then - I seriously doubt it will work anymore :)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AVeryFatElf

Genuinely really interesting to know! Think there’s a video in the ether on YouTube somewhere of the demo but I think it’s long gone.

To save multiple reply posts, I’ll share any significant updates here too. I’ve also setup a thread in the TSW Modding text channel on the Train Sim Discord.

edit: TrainSim-Matt on the off chance you have any footage leftover, would be quite cool to see! No pressure though.

11. DTG Matt

The only footage I ever remember being recorded was just on peoples mobile phones, nothing anyone has anymore let alone whether it was shareable :)

In essence I set up a space in the middle of the office with a DK2 headset and a high spec PC, put TS2014 on it, and then set up a scenario where you're driving a steam engine on Riviera Line. You used the xbox controller to drive, you were stood in the space and had enough room to walk around the cab fully (and stick head out of windows), and I added a voice control thing I wrote so that all the coal and water could be done via voice commands - end result, you're there, virtually talking to your fireman, driving the train, head out of the window to look around as another train goes blasting by and you run along the Dawlish Coast. Was pretty dang awesome.

Super immersive too even for what it was - another time I was driving a german train and was on a long straight bit between stations, all cruised up and nothing to do for a few minutes i went to put my controller down on the desk - and of course... bang... it hit the floor... because there was no desk in front of me in reality... doh :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 16
  12. chieflongshin

This genuinely sounds amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

This is amazing. Finally!

• Like Like x 1
  14. atledreier

atledreier Member

VR has so much promise it's not even funny.

Too bad it's usually marred by hacks and and halfhearted implementations. For those that do it well it's a delight.

VR has come a long way in terms of clarity and tracking fidelity, but it's still on the heavy side for modern computers.
    If only nVidia came through with the Per-eye-SLI, we'd be all set.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AVeryFatElf

Luckily in this case I think the modder has managed to find a way to do this really cleanly, even without much tweaking. He wants to get this released at a level where it’s quite polished I think. That being said it might ultimately need someone dedicated per game to fine tune it. He mentioned something about the volumetric clouds being an issue so that’ll be something that’ll need looked at. Initially he thought it was subsurface scattering that was the issue.

In an ideal world, if someone (or a few folk) can work together on sorting out the initial issues then I think this will be a fantastic working mod for the game.

• Like Like x 3
  16. bpbill96

bpbill96 New Member

I cry every time there is a survey and VR implementation comes bottom of the list. I will be following this with great interest :)

• Like Like x 5
  17. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I’m not a VR user (yet!) but one thing that seems to have made a big difference in FS2020 is DLSS, for obvious reasons.

As TSW is currently pretty hard on GPU’s in 2D DLSS support would help everyone, VR or not.

Hint hint etc ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. jamster47

I have dusted of my HP reverb G2 and waiting patiently......ish

• Like Like x 2
  19. AVeryFatElf

Dont worry I am itching to give this a shot too! Just need to patiently wait now.

• Like Like x 3
  20. AVeryFatElf

Is this it here? Think this is what I saw donkeys ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. DTG Matt

Yep that was my prototype, probably still got that DK1 somewhere :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

23. AVeryFatElf

In the utter off-chance, I guess it's always worth asking, would you be comfortable supplying any technical info about your implementation/notes etc for TS1 in VR? Just incase someone was to investigate it at some point and make a mod for it and based it off of what you had worked together at the time, especially if you think there's still code lurking in there for activating it. Always amazed at what people can pull off either by backwards engineering or coming in at a different angle. If you'd rather not or if it goes against DTG company policy etc, I totally respect that too, so no pressure. It's more so that myself and others can archive it should someone want to have a go at it latterly.

Also, are you aware of any other games using the same engine as TS that ever implemented VR? I also appreciate the game engine is ageing by a fair bit at this point. I ask just incase there's potential for collaboration with others who managed to implement VR support into games from that era using that engine.

Nonetheless, exciting to see your interest in this mod and hopefully not long before we all get to have a bit of fun with it! For me, not only will it be immersive but I find it great being able to kinda switch off to the outside world a bit.

24. DTG Matt

The underlying engine of tsc is entirely bespoke and used only by tsc, it would have started life as a studio engine kuju made but its modified to the point of being unrecognisable as anything remotely standard now(most studios used to develop their own engines before unity and unreal came along).

My work is hooking into the trackir code that I implemented to get tracking data and then activates the 0.4 oculus sdk - which was based on some much earlier code another engineer did even further back - not sure there's anything anyone else can benefit from now, the vr sdk is a million miles away from how 0.4 worked so it would need scrapping and redoing.

Matt

• Like Like x 1
  25. AVeryFatElf

Ahh gotcha! Thought I may as well ask in the off chance. Yeah I did some digging myself and read it goes waaaaaaaay back to the days of when Railworks/Train Simulator nearly came out as MSTS2 before the takeover/rebrand etc took place and read that it was all bespoke, as you mentioned. I envy people who can understand and pull apart code - it'd be something I'd love to have a go at.

As they say, if you don't ask you don't get, figured it was worth asking just in case. Thanks for being open about talking about it though as it genuinely interests me, and I imagine others.

May I ask, so that I can centralise information for future modders that may fine tune this mod (as the creator has indicated may/will need to happen for some games), are there any VR assets/plugins in the current builds of either TSW2/3? Anything from motion controller support to HMDs etc. I spoke to him about it recently and he mentioned, ironically, in the way his mod works that if plugins etc were present it would actually interfere with his mod but I believe he has a workaround. I realise this may be mundane/trivial asking, its more just so I can note as much as I can down.

26. DTG Matt

The VR plugins are disabled completely - nothing VR related should be present at all.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. AVeryFatElf

Extremely minor update but one for people to have a look into. Speaking to the guy working on the mod, he mentioned that running either TSW2 or TSW3 with the launch parameter of "-emulatestereo" can help identify any potential problems with shaders and alike. I've tried myself and nothing major other than some peculiar draw distance artifacting but i think that should be fixable.

One thing I think that will prove helpful is anyone with deep or good understanding on tweaking the game engine through the config files that are available or with any third party tools. I believe someone has already reached out with some info and its bookmarked on the discord thread i've made, i'll drop a link to it (if it lets me) in the main starting post so people can stay up to date both here and via discord.

Obviously until the mod is released it will be hard to make any meaningful progress with things but ideally if it happens that we can generate a healthy config file or maybe a collection of config files aimed at different system configurations, this would help give more people access to the mod.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. AVeryFatElf

Another very minor post:

So in relation to my last post, I read that if you're able to activate SBS mode when viewing the desktop via your VR headset, you can essentially get a slight sense of depth of field when using the launch parameter "-emulatestereo"

If you're using a quest 2 with virtual desktop for example that lets you view the game in SBS.

• Like Like x 2
  29. jamster47

Hiya, thanks for the updates re this. Continues to sound very exciting.

Is there any update re how it's progressing? Is this looking promising or will it become vapourware?

30. AVeryFatElf

Hey! Nothing yet unfortunately. I would say that it's very likely this mod will come out eventually, I've been seeing progress with other games being tested as the mod itself is for any UE4 game. One thing to bear in mind, the VR Injection mod itself will come out eventually but developer of the mod has also said that other modders/users will need to generate game specific patches to get the most out of the VR Injection mod.

From what I have seen though, it's likely we will be able to play this out the bag with minor tweaking or at least have a playable mod that can be made better by someone with the right knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  31. AVeryFatElf

Confidently looking at a release some time in the first half of 2023 - obviously take this with caution as the mod will come with some initial problems with the native UI.

Again, think of this as more of a stepping stone for VR rather than a fully fleshed out feature for TSW via a mod. It'll need some smart people to fix some of the user experience issues, most likely via the UI getting skewed such as markers or such.

One for DTG staff but is it possible to use this thread in the future for modders to reach out for some info on some mechanics? Or does this go against company policy? I 100% appreciate that there may be some boundaries and I think anyone (including myself) would understand if this is the case. It would be good to know though just for future reference. I think we all know that the modding community is good at backwards engineering when necessary, but i also believe in at least asking anyways just incase! :)

• Like Like x 2
  32. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I have been looking at some youtube video's on VorpX, don't know if this is the same but don't think so. According to the video you can do full VR for non VR games although in reality it is hit and miss. Apparently there is a free mod for Cyberpunk and people have said they were blown away.

You have to buy Vorpx and own a Steam VR compatible headset but that is most of the well known ones. I saw video's on TSW3 and TS1. Looks good to me and you use a gamepad or keyboard or equivalent one bloke was using a RailDriver. The video's ranged from a few months old to a few years old so don't know what the latest information is.

33. AVeryFatElf

Yeah I gave Vorpx a try but it just didn't match up very well with proper 6DOF (6 degrees of freedom) along with the sense of scale and proper stereoscopic vision you get with todays VR, very hard to get used to Vorpx once you've experienced proper VR. That said, Vorpx is good for TrackIR if the game supports it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. jamster47

Thanks for keeping us updated re this.
    Really have fingers crossed it comes out soon and will be a literal game changer if executed well.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I have Vorpx, though not used it for a couple of years now. It didn't give a true 3D effect in TSW, just more for a cinematic effect, was kind of OK in passenger mode but I didn't like it in driving mode.

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

What headset you use? Seen a few video's but really didn't get a feel for it. It seems like a lot of lolly for little gain.

37. DTG Matt

Videos wont give you the slightest incling of VR unfortunately, one of its biggest problems is that unless you *have* a VR headset you can't *experience* what VR will be like. If anything, VR videos look like standard head tracking where the head is dizzyingly flying all over the place and actually can turn you off VR rather than promote it.

I tried VorpX once or twice, haven't really been that enamoured with it. Again, the problem with something like VorpX is that unless you're already fully onboard with VR, seeing something done via VorpX can be extremely underwhelming compared to a "proper" VR experience and give you that "well, not sure what that is all about" feeling. Fully immersive VR experience is game-changing in a way that can't be described without unbelievable hyperbole such as "you feel like you're really in the cab" - but again, for those who haven't experienced it, it feels pretty real in the cab in the game normally doesn't it? (there really is zero comparison, VR is that good, but, unless you know...)

Only way is to either plump for it and give it a go OR find a friend with one and try it... and get recommendations on good experiences to try in VR - even if they're not necessarily the genre's you'd go for normally, you just need enough to go "oh, heck, i get it now".

Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  38. AVeryFatElf

As mentioned, the mod itself should work once released but it might be some time before its fully fleshed out and optimised for TSW. Ideally some people who are really into VR and have programming experience with the Unreal Engine can start to code in motion controls and engine optimisations that will work with the mod. I agree though, i think the option of VR alone will be a game changer.

39. AVeryFatElf

Pretty much exactly this. True VR quite literally puts you in a VR 3D space (sense of scale, stereoscopic vision etc), rather than VorpX which tries to latch on and interpret a 3D space and then tries to project it onto a VR headset. Basically, in my brutally honest opinion, its a horrendous VR experience and so much so that i would not go as far to say its even something i'd refer to as VR in modern day standards.

That said, if whoever uses VorpX but understands its not proper VR, it can be used for things like TrackIR pretty well for much older games. It even works for TS Classic. You'll get a 2D experience but you can at least look around. Takes some tweaking though sometimes.

40. dhekelian

Of course you are going to get a better experience putting on a VR headset yourself but the point of the video is to inform you whether it is worth buying it. I think you are wrong in suggesting that you cannot get a 'feel' for VR in a video. On simple example is when the person looks behind him and you get 360 vision, correct me if I'm wrong but you do not get that just looking at a screen.

The trick is finding a reviewer you trust and go with that as it saves you a lot of pain. I've had a couple of headsets in the past and it was OK but I thought Vorpx was going to be the answer for me as it offered full VR with some games but also lets you remain seated using a gamepad which is great with my disability. Alas, it may not be as good as I though, still looking though.

The video of TSW3 and TSC I saw imo was a step up.

41. AVeryFatElf

I think what Matt and I (and others) are meaning is that unless the person who is new to VR can experience what proper 6DOF VR is, they simply wont understand the concept and that its often lost on them, especially (not to sound ageist) older demographics. There's another VR post on here somewhere which has a lot of people who definitely don't understand VR and have often described it seemingly with the completely wrong idea in mind.

42. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

I hope that isn't the only metric they're going by. Sure, a lot of current players might not be interested in VR or don't want to pay for the headset and the hardware specs you need for it, It's also worth bearing in mind many people who aren't yet players would buy the game to play it in VR. It's the kind of sim game that would suit the format perfectly. Who wouldn't want to sit in a cab and drive a train? And also the PS5 headset is out imminently, potentially broadening the market substantially.

43. AVeryFatElf

My general opinion, at no disrespect to DTG, is that they have a good opportunity to at least get the groundworks in and work on it later so that at least when VR is more widely accessible it will attract not just train enthusiasts but the VR market which is only growing in numbers at this point as the tech gets cheaper. Stays somewhat ahead of the curve IMHO. In the case of the mod featured in this thread, at least it will help showcase it to others who may be still new to VR/looking for an excuse to get into it.

• Like Like x 1
  44. dhekelian

To me that sounds a little to simplistic. There are plenty of 'older' people who have experienced VR and know what it is all about, not just in gaming either and I would wager there are plenty of younger folk who haven't experienced VR at all especially in this 'cost of living' thing going on.

I've experienced VR and liked it in the main but there are downsides especially if you have a disability. Like playing seated (not every game allows this), playing with a gamepad ETC then you have the price which seems to be going up not down and the sort of system you need to run it, PC wise . I saw a video showing VR being run on a 4090 FFS! There are plenty of headsets out there but I don't value for money is at the forefront of their decisions.

45. AVeryFatElf

In the case of TSW, i'd imagine it would be seated even when walking in-game.

If you run the game on lower settings and have an average/good CPU that isn't bottlenecking the GPU, I was running a 1080 for the longest time before getting my 3070 TI and was still getting good FPS in VR.

46. DTG Matt

You don't need a particularly high spec or modern machine to get decent VR anymore, it used to be right at the top end of the systems that were available but tech has moved on those cards are mere calculators by comparison to the beasts out now.

Of course, game complexity, scene complexity has gone up too - but - that's where a game can just compensate by adjusting its settings to best fit VR's needs (like MSFS does).

My 980ti ran VR no problem. The 970 i had before that ran it ok too.

That said I do firmly agree with the sentiment that VR manufacturers are tending towards it being a rich persons toy, even Facebook (sorry, "Meta") are driving prices up and I thought at least they had understood the market. I find it really amusing that just recently, a year or so after the price of a Quest 2 went from 299 to 399, and this being that headsets 3rd year on the market, sales dropped quite a bit, and suddenly everyone's running around in the media shouting "omg! vr is on its way out!" - like... if you couldn't predict that a mile off your eyes are closed, nay, you're actively trying to ignore the market :)

Only Quest 2 has the right idea imho. It's a decent headset, a decent price, motion controls, it can run standalone OR it can run both tethered OR wireless to your PC so you get the best of just about all worlds. I primarily run mine tethered, but the standalone experience is surprisingly good actually too.

Quest Pro at £1500 is.... well. I'm sure it's lovely.

Vive and Steam's one are both again very good headsets but they're Ferrari's in a world that isnt convinced cars are all that important yet.

One development I'm super excited for is Microsoft are releasing an XCloud client for Quest 2 - so you'll be able to play Xbox Series X console games via streaming straight to your standlone VR headset. No console, no PC etc. That's pretty darn cool.

I'm excited to see where PSVR2 takes us, and also to see whether/what Meta have in store in the future too. I'm not really paying attention to anyone else because quite simply most people will buy PSVR2 or a Meta headset, and as much as I love VR, I cannot even remotely justify the additional cost of the Ferrari headsets out there.

It's a good shout for accessibility and familiarities sake to support the standard gamepad and not just blindly require motion controls too, I'll make a mental note of that one.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
  47. jamster47

Hi all, just wondered if there is any update on whether this is still in development or nearing release?

48. AVeryFatElf

Still waiting on the VR Injector from Praydog to be released - don't worry I'm basically keeping daily tabs on the mod as I will be making it known to this thread and the Discord thread that it's been released. I'll drop a link for anyone following this thread to the download page and any instructions.

Again as a reminder to all, I'm not affiliated nor do I know how to adapt the Praydog mod for TSW other than it activating the headset and planting the HUD in front of the player (great for HUDs and Menus etc). The intent here is to try and attract coders to sort out motion control support.

Out of the box, you'll be able to play if you're fluent with hand placement and your keyboard and mouse (or a controller which might be a lot easier for people to use, depends on your preference)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. jamster47

Thanks for keeping us updated. Can’t wait for this.

• Like Like x 1
  50. AVeryFatElf

Hey everyone.
    Small update with a video. Lots of good news to glean from this albeit the tester of the mod couldn’t get the train moving *chuckles* but I’ll point out some positives to takeaway from his test:

The big thing for me is HUD functionality. I was quite concerned there’d be a big issue with how the markers would appear. Luckily it seems that for the most part that when the HUD “frame” is aiming at parts of the cab or such, it’s generally pointing at the right thing. However, it does appear to be from the perspective of one eye so this will be something that will need to be patched by someone who fancies giving it a go as it will somehow need to be zeroed in by the two eyes (for lack of a better term).

Some slight bad news, apparently it’s crashing in the menu but this is something they’re actively looking at as I imagine it’s a problem across other games too so it may be something that’s fixed eventually before the mod is released.

Again I don’t know anything about this in depth but I’ve asked the guy if he’d kindly test it again and I’m going to steer him towards a more easier train and route to test it on.

I have to stress, this might not be a super easy mod to get into right away but it might give people who can bear some of the problems a chance to play it in VR anyways until someone picks up the mod and makes a specific version more tailored for TSW (or unless DTG go against their poll and develop a basic VR implementation).

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1