Train Sim World Vs. Train Sim World 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gfrank42, Apr 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. gfrank42

gfrank42 New Member

Good day, all!
    My son has been enjoying Train Sim World and is interested in an add-on that is now only available with TSW 2. Is TSW 2 an extension of TSW or a complete separate game? And what is TS 2021? Is that another new game or an extension of TSW 2?

Thanks!
    Gary . . .

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Gary...

TSW2 is the successor to TSW...

TS20xx (currently TS2021) is TSW's / TSW2's predecessor... There are far more add-ons available for TS20xx and depending on who you listen to, is superior to TSW / TSW2 but that's for you to make your own mind up about it...

If you have TSW / TSW2 queries then I'd suggest you head over to the TSW forum, This forum is for TS (some members get irate about wrongly posted posts...!!!)

Hope this helps...

Eric

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  3. gfrank42

gfrank42 New Member

It does help and sorry to be in the wrong place, but I didn't see the TSW one. I'll go looking!

4. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Gary...

If you haven't found it already, click on this link:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/forums/trainsimworld/

Then go to whatever sub-forum on which platform you want, whether it be PC, Xbox, Playstation etc...

Eric

5. relindwto6

relindwto6 New Member

It was quite a while that I have played a train sim and I want to get back into this branch of gaming. However on steam I got quite overwhelmed by the variety of train sims and DLCs... But I have saw that it looks like that TSW2 and TS2021 are the more popular and newest sims here, but is there a difference between these two? (Note: I have played the original Trainz Games back then and the only preference that i have are steam locomotives and really big maps but it’s just a preference)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2022
  6. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Steam is not yet included in Train Sim World 2, though is on the horizon with a game engine update. Train Simulator 2021 is the current 'version' of Train Simulator which is updated annually with the name being updated corresponding with its latest annual update (which is free I believe). TS2021 does include Steam Trains and generally speaking has longer routes, though due to the fact that the original TS2021 has its roots well over a decade ago now with the original Railworks (What TS2021 was once known as) being released in 2009, the game can have a more dated feel to it, though it regularly receives updates too. Content is regularly added with far more being available than in TSW2. As for Trainz, I cannot comment as I haven't played it. Personally, I would recommend TS2021 if you want longer routes and Steam Trains, though I recommend watching some videos on YouTube to see how it compares with TSW2 which I personally prefer. Plus it might be worth waiting for more information on Steam Trains for TSW2 when we eventually hear more.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you want Steam Trains and Long Routes then TS20xx is the one to go for

Like Trainz you can only run it on a computer and you can run what you want where you want
    There is a load of routes and trains available on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=24010

You need the Base game but unlike Trainz it is a free update to the latest version of the game and everything is backwards compatible with everything released since Railworks days. And there are loads of third party Payware and freeware to download.

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. ne.msn67

ne.msn67 New Member

well train sim world 2 is free on epic games so try it out if you like it

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

For those people with an Epic Games Account

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Then he'd have to get all his DLC from Epic from then on... which means you'd miss out on Steam sales etc. I know "free" sounds enticing, but... nah...

• Like Like x 2
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is interesting the DTG are also promoting TSW2 on Epic Games - it is mentioned in the latest newsletter

12. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they? I imagine having the game for free on Epic is an excellent opportunity to sell some DLC

• Like Like x 1