Train Stopped On A Grade Slides Downhill

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Vlaxie, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Vlaxie

Vlaxie New Member

Dear Dovetail, is there ever going to be a fix for this, it's long overdue for one. It happens on every train and on every route. :)

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have to fully applied the train brakes?

3. Vlaxie

Vlaxie New Member

This always happens regardless, the wheels aren't even turning but sliding down the rails. But I've had plenty enough of the brake enabled in the video in any case

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  4. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a well known issue, the funny thing is, it can even slide on the flat. Depends on things.
    I guess the implementation is more about slowing down than applying force.
    Couple years ago when discussed on Steam, somebody said it's somewhat prototypical even, should be less though. In that parked consists would slowly slide down against the buffer overnight.

I first came across this for real when running Daily Grind Over the Pass, one of my first workshop subs, and it involves stopping at Colfax, and later on the grade past Emigrant Gap. As the stops are long enough, it was quite clear that my train moved.

But it's easy to see on virtually every route, the easiest is Haslemere on the PDL, even better under sunny conditions. The shadows will move quite quickly in the cab, way more than what you'd expect from the movement of the sun. If you press 8, you can see the cab sliding down while the camera is stationary.

The funny case is when you drive a non-neutral consist - one that pulls itself - and so you get this slide even on the flat. The most common such consists are old gondolas (the BNSF/UP coal and all of its clones, including the low and high gondolas with rock, and the German Eanos), but only when loaded. But occasionally coupler unrest can induce such movement, too.

It is usually a non-issue but some scenarios require players to stop and hold on a tiny marker in front of the signal, which can eventually cause a SPAD. Same idea about the rear.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022