Training Center Impressions & Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TimTri, Aug 23, 2022.

1. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

It’s been a few hours since the end of today’s Training Center preview stream and I haven’t seen a dedicated post about it yet, so I figured I’d create one myself.

What did you think? Any thoughts, concerns, feedback or questions?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I think the training centre is a good concept with good potential and will add something beneficial and different to TSW.

3. juliplus#6089

juliplus#6089 Active Member

Performance could be better
    Hopefully its only because of the dev build

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The idea is promising, but in the stream, Sam was Sam, when attempting to operate trains he was not familiar with.

5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It looked quite useless to me. Maybe there are other tutorials that they did not show us that are more useful, and I bet I will use it a few times to test if some loco or wagon is bugged.

Other than that, I cant see myself spending much time in the Test Center.

Also, the fact that you need to switch cabs or go in reverse to take most trains into the ovals is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

What it did show me was that the rain - bug is still present, where if you switch between the two cab views, the rain stops for a moment and needs some time to "fade in" again. Something that I very much disliked about the weather in TSW1-2 and I hoped they changed in a game that is all about the weather. But, I have to say, both the location itself and the features look promising. I always wanted to have some sort of a "shed" or test track to display my collection, walk around, and just enjoy the detail of the train that you would normally not notice when being in service. So it is definitely a nice thing to have. Also the idea of giving it this appeal of being the place where you learn everything is a good way to introduce new players, giving them the feeling of starting as student, learning the basics, then starting their new job.

I am curious to see what they will do in the future, especially since now the entire Pres Crew works on it. Am I unhappy that the Pres Crew now works on it? Absolutely. The moment the newest "nice to have" feature gets implemented, everyone will be quite dissapointed to not see it arrive on other TSW3 content. But I'm also curious to see where the Training Center will go next.

My guess (and to some extend big wish) has always been some sort of a collection board / museum. Where, if you own the loco that's on display, it will be displayed at a location with some information about it. "DTG's Railroad History Museum", if you will!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

One thing that I notice on stream is that all trains looked to be already "turned on".
    Maybe I lost something during stream but wouldn't it be the case to let all of them turned off with a proper tutorial on how to power it up?

• Like Like x 20
  8. zorbsie#9738

zorbsie#9738 Well-Known Member

I liked what I saw. I feel bad for Sam trying to figure stuff out and not finding it. That's tough to do when you're on the spot and everyone is watching. Other than that I thought it was pretty cool. Going through the tunnel looked great. I'm not sure if the length of the tunnel helped out with that though. But a much better showing than the last stream. I'm interested to see how much tutorials will be in it. As someone who goes for achievements I wish there was a route like this in TSW2. Those long distance achievements would be a cake walk. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I was quite pleased with the stream. A few thoughts…
    • The route/center itself looked really cool. Great scenery, lots of details and functionality everywhere while keeping things reasonably realistic. Going to be great to explore all the buildings, vantage points etc.
    • Inclusion of multiple passenger stations is amazing! I actually commented this when they were asking for suggestions on future expansions without knowing it was already included from the beginning.
    • I’m not too worried about performance. They threw everything at it during the stream with the stormy night and all the different rolling stock close together. Basically a worst case scenario. During normal gameplay, it’ll probably be alright.
    • Just wondering if there is a “spawn this loco right here and just let me do what I want” feature. Right now, it seems like we’ve either got to spawn on foot - and only have the ability to drive the locos from the three new core routes, which are parked in the center - or create a scenario. Would be really unfortunate if the only option to get older locos on there would be to make a scenario.

• Like Like x 4
  10. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I liked the stream. Training Center looks good and it was a nice surprise to see the Class 66 at the end.
    We didn't really see the tutorials today apart from the 1st ("here's how to move") tutorial. But I think the idea is that most of the loco tutorials will be on the Training Center route, so there will be things to do.

11. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Was it just me, having already adapted to the Kassel Würzburg reality, or did the transition into the tunnel looked way better then on the Kassel Würzburg stream, regarding the eye adaption?!

• Like Like x 6
  12. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It did look a lot better to me as well. It was mentioned in another thread somewhere that they had made a change. I hope That is more like what it will be in the all the new routes and wasn’t just one tunnel looking better in the training centre.

• Like Like x 5
  13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Frankly the stream was a lot better than the Ice one.
    Despite Sam’s frustrations at the end it was more enjoyable, so I watched it to the end.
    Unlike the preceding one.

Enjoyed his reaction to the stuttering.
    It’s what it is.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

it looked more like a test track to me, being a training centre I would have thought with the good Colonel fumbling around to get things going he would have had access to a quick guide manual of things to check off to get the thing moving.

Also it would be nice at the reception area to request the type of training you are after, signaling, PZB, AWS etc.

Another thing now that locos are not tethered to routes is to make every loco available to all players in the training centre, that way they can be tried out by the player to decide if it is for them or not.

• Like Like x 6
  15. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I like the location, I think it's beautiful, the building is really modern and nice. What I don't yet understand though is how this will be expanded. The main square only has as many lines as there are locomotives in TSW 3 right now. If I recall correctly, there are 9 locos in the game by default and there is about as many lines to start. What if somebody installs tons of routes and they will have dozens of locos? How will all of them appear in the Training Center? But other than this question, I really liked this location, although I'm not sure how much I'll truly utilize it. It's great to have as an option, though.

What concerns me more, again, is the performance. I know Sam's PC was both streaming and running the game but towards the end, in the storm it ran at around 19-20 fps constantly. This is alarming to me, I hope the final version will hold 60 better. For reference, TSW 2 usually runs fine in the rain, regardless of location.

16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It’s worth checking out the other feedback thread. Sam has responded there with some tests he did after the stream with all the other stuff he had running shut down. He said it was much better and that he‘ll do a re run to show it.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/training-center-stream-feedback.57665/

• Like Like x 2
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think showing it off first with some nice weather was a good idea. I know in the first stream with the German route they got all excited and wanted to show off dynamic weather but it meant we didn’t get to see the route properly. TSW has always looked better in the middle of the day with a clear cloudless sky, perfect for showing off new routes.

Learning point for DTG - All first route previews should be done in those circumstances. Weather gets in the way of seeing what a route is like.

The concept of a test track without signals is a good one for learning to control trains but not as a training centre for driving them as signalling is everything on a railway but they can’t have the all the different signalling systems for everywhere in the world on the one route so a test track it is and everything else is learned in the real routes. I would suggest that the most use players will get out of this route is seeing how fast they can get a train to go before it derails. I’ll be seeing if I can set one train going round the loop and then chase it down in another just for fun. I used to love doing that in Trainz back in the day on routes where red signals could be passed without penalty.

• Like Like x 5
  18. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

This I couldn't agree more with. I thought the overall presentation of the German route stream was awful because the combination of choice of weather and extremely poor external view camera work (admittedly not helped by the frequency of tunnels) gave me hardly any insight at to what the route looked like. I watched the entire A>B run and aside from knowing there was a big viaduct and lots of fields I was left none the wiser as to what I was supposed to be looking forward to!

As for the exclusion of signals from training centre, the two main issues I struggle with (issues that prevent me from playing with the HUD off) are understanding signals and knowing when to close the doors at a station stop, so from my personal standpoint I have to ask myself that, apart from the initial novelty value of seeing the location, what exactly am I going to get out of this feature?
    It kind of reminds me of the test track feature that was added into NASCAR Heat 5 - in the sense that because nothing really changed from Heat 4 most people were familiar with the vehicles and already had setups so for the most part it's inclusion was largely redundant. Plus - and just like in TSW - you do kind of learn the basics as you go along. Most regarded it as a feature that was included simply to warrant the "5" tag and therefore be able to sell it as a brand new game, whereas in reality it could just as easily have been a cheaper update for Heat 4.

My personal feeling is that due to the fact it's not a full and comprehensive training centre the time could have been better spent elsewhere. Maybe a third launch route (to match TSW2) or another extension...or just extra hands to resolve ongoing issues.

• Like Like x 6
  19. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I think the Kassel-Würzburg stream could’ve definitely benefited from a third host aside from JD and Lukas. Lukas did a great job driving the train, but you could clearly notice that it was his first ever stream. Having another developer present to help answer questions so Lukas could focus on operating the train and providing cool views would’ve taken a lot of the pressure off his shoulders.

• Like Like x 3
  20. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Stujoy makes a good point.
    Many times I have been frustrated with a preview stream where the emphasis has been on weather extremes, snow or night driving or just plain driving whilst talking and looking straight ahead.

The first thing I want to see is the scenery. Does it add or detract from the illusion?
    So much time is spent on creating a realistic route, it seems folly to ignore it.

• Like Like x 4
  21. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

For me - frankly speaking - it was no "Training" demonstration at all!
    I believe there was the area where you learn how to start and set up the locomotive / train - as we have today on TSW2 -, but concentrated on one specific area. I believe this is a great idea. Also to have specific tracks.

But the stream was only about walking around, "jumping" from one train to other and just making some driving.
    Even the part at night, I believe it was not useful, as you can not see too much. When we need to see all things around.

Also I noticed the new DB freight cars, but they did not showed.

Furthermore, when they get in to the BNSF AC44 cabin, they do not know how to set up the brakes!.
    They may practice that before.

So in resume again, - for me at least - there was no training at all!
    Just driving around, and showing the area.

Then I wonder, where we could get a proper training step by step as we have on TSW2?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Yes. The training center should feature some way to easily wander around and play with everything you own. (Even if they have to add some narrow-gauge tracks at some point.)

I would really like a portal where you can order any train to show up and then do whatever you want with it. Scenario Planner is so limited and difficult to use that it's not a good substitute.

Also, how about some randomness with the extra tracks in the yard? Maybe one or two tracks that will spawn some older TSW2 content every time you enter service mode? I'm sure memory limits mean you can't just have one of everything, but being limited to only the new stuff is pretty disappointing.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

ES44, not AC44

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Looks a bit pointless to me, maybe once they release further additions to it, it will be worth it but until then I can’t see myself using it very much.

• Like Like x 6
  25. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Sam has said in the other training stream feedback thread that he'll be revisiting the TC with a better streaming PC and will also be showing the training itself.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Sharon E

Remember what we did see and hear last week in the German route stream. The route specific train modules would be done on the route in question. You would use the training center menus as a central location to get to, say, the LZB one on the German route or the braking training on Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 2
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Bad performance and stuttering

• Like Like x 3
  28. Sharon E

Sam addressed the performance issues and said when he did it again without all the extra baggage on his system, it ran fine with fps 40 and up.

29. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

a game with TSW3 graphics should run on solid 60 FPS in 4k with his hardware
    40 is really really bad for such a beast PC and TSW3 graphics

• Like Like x 4
  30. Calidore266

His GPU is best in class, but his CPU is two gens below recommended, so it might depend on the division of labor.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well, testing tracks often have that as access to the track itself is limited, then again... you usually have a crew member on the other side giving you information.

With his beefy rig? On the smallest TSW map? That is ridiculously low.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Remember it was on the smallest map!

• Like Like x 3
  33. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Let’s be realistic here. The training centre looks nice and will have some finite gamePlay, it is however nothing more than a garage to unclip the trains from a route. They needed the function to address a big issue and the short route is just a way to sell the product around a necessary function.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. lorenz

lorenz Member

The ICE1 at over 300km/h in curves looks more like a roller coaster or a children's playground rather than a train simulator.

• Like Like x 5
  35. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...the end of yesterday's stream was a bit funny to watch (not just because of Sam's humorous way), but how easy it is to forget how to adjusting the braking system on modern American diesel locos! I thought the training center itself was very well designed, it would be great if you could still access the individual rooms in the future, but not necessarily the toilet. Because DTG also stands for fishing games, you could maybe place a few AI anglers at the lake, a crossover of two genres, so to speak. Also a few staff people near the marshalling yard would make the scenery look busier overall. The track layout is 100% the same as the original test center in Wegberg, of course imaginatively decorated, including an alpine backdrop.

All in all a great new idea to include it as a small additional route and as a basis for tutorials.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Calidore266

Does that really matter, though? DTG has said that the reasons routes weren't longer had nothing to do with performance. Logic suggests that if longer routes don't hurt performance, smaller ones won't help it.

37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It was said it should not have to load new tiles since its a one tile route and we still had missive stuttering

• Like Like x 3
  38. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Oh, did you see the glitch, the AI loco getting all blurry and going apesh*t when the player did drive by?
    It was acknowledged as a bug they are "looking into".
    Thing is...this bug is in TSW2 since years and now i wonder how many years we will see it in TSW3 since it seems despite the looking they cant fix it.

Same as with the performance
    Same as with the stuttering
    Same as with the non working save
    Same as with the red light issues
    Same as with the missing sound and sound bugs
    Same as with the lighting issues (sun shines through the solid cab of the loco)

• Like Like x 9
  39. hibiki

hibiki Well-Known Member

i managed to get around to seeing the stream.

I can see the good idea of not having to do the route introduction on every route. As it really bores me doing the same thing on every route. I know how to look, how to gain points, and find collectables. So just having it set up in 1 place does make sence. I also understand why there are no signals. As there are so many different types, and safety systems it would just cause a mess. But maybe the idea of having some sort of a video playback showing the concepts of each type, could be used in a training room, and then You can test them out on the specific route.

When it came to the streaming, It was a bit of a shame of all the stuttering, and FPS counter drops. Although in my own personal opinion, I am happy to play at 30fps. Maybe I can just put it down to the fact I have been gaming for around 40 years, and to me the graphics are not my top priority. Also since the stream was a dev build. I don't expect it to fully work and with it being Unreal Engine, I don't have much faith in it. As there are a few games I have played, running on UE and they seem to crash often. Even without mods.

Going back to the TC, Maybe if they can't show all the trains from TSW2, maybe a button or something outside the sheds, to which you can spawn the train you want. In my case it would be the Class 101. It will be interesting to see what can actually happen in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  40. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't see myself using training center much or at all to be honest. It doesn't really feel like it's trying to train the player much but only to teach the basics. Move leaver forward to accelerate. Go to this speed limit. Stop at this location etc. Basically similar to the tutorials that were in tsw2 routes. I was surprised they wouldn't teach players about signaling in particular or safety systems but only basic things. The location at least looks nice.

Good idea but poor execution. Not a surprise with DTG to be honest. But perhaps they will build and improve the center as time goes on.

I do feel though that with how limited it will be, that perhaps those resources to make it could've gone elsewhere

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's because new tutorials on signals and safety systems will be (necessarily) set on the actual routes. This is progress- previously we had no tutorials on these things. And, no, they can't put them in the Training Center: they can't very well build it with six different signage and signaling systems!

• Like Like x 1
  42. pinxtonpaws

Yes they can. I see absolutely no reason why a user can't be given the opportunity to select a train alongside a set of signals that's relevant to the region the train belongs in. You don't need hundreds of miles of track housing an ultra-complex network to be shown the ins and outs, you just need a bunch of operational signals (which are essentially only trackside assets) along with an explanation as to what they mean...and the opportunity to go round and round that big loop until you get the hang of obeying them. You could even make them random each time so not only is the user required to become more vigilant towards (unknown) approaching signals, he also gets a bonus session which requires managing the throttle & brakes thrown into the bargain.
    I'll bet you a pound to a penny that due to it's limited levels of meaningful interaction *most* people are just going to say "I can do that already", maybe play with it for a little while and never visit the area again....other than to thrash a train around that loop to see how fast it goes or use it to get various "drive xx miles" achievements.

I get it that TSW 3 is leaning heavily towards the new user / casual gamer (Gamepass) / easy achievements side of things in an attempt to stimulate levels of interest and potentially bolster sales but c'mon, lets not forget that there are intermediates out there who might want to go to the next level of TSW instead of just being (yet again) shown how to squeeze a trigger to make your train go faster.

• Like Like x 4
  43. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The Training Center is something for me I'll take a look at once TSW3 launches, run a train around it a couple of times and probably not bother looking at it again....similar to how the test track was in TSC.

The main reason this addition was important though as it facilitated the decoupling of future loco DLC from routes...which has been sorely needed.

• Like Like x 4
  44. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Um, no, they can't do that. Signals are fixed route assets, you can't shuffle them around like random pedestrians any more than you can move track.

To do what you are saying, they would basically have to make six different complete routes, one for each signaling system.

45. 5cip

5cip Active Member

for me i know now that i dont play the trainings center its because when i want to test a train i prefer to choose a route.
    personally its not a must maybe a nice feature but nothing else
    i only want routes and the good point in TSW 3 is that they now are making longer routes which raises the hope that some new good routes are still to come

46. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I'm kinda torn on this one, it looks like a good start, but it needs a lot more expanding to be really usable. What it needs is safety systems, and tracks with all the signal types that are ingame, with scenarios teaching new player about them, where the player can practice various situations.

TS Classic has this (in a limited form) in the TS Academy, where there is just i.e. small piece of track (just like 100-200m), with british type signal. You then have a scenario where the signalling is explained.

It is less fancy than a whole nice map, with a big loop, but it really servers the training purpose much better.

So yeah, good start, that needs expanding. The issue is that TSW is full of stuff, that is a good start, but needs expanding - scenario planner, livery creator, sharing platform...

edit: I.e. here is the AWS tutorial from TS Classic

• Like Like x 2
  47. pinxtonpaws

No, you're missing my point. You can place signals down *as* trackside assets ('fake' signals that display similar levels of information you would see on an ingame one) along with a tutorial to explain how they work. Training centre already has an AP system in place so surely it cannot be that difficult to link "driving over/under speed limit" as a visual guide to whether or not you're obeying them correctly. Sure, it might sound like a stupid idea but at least it's better than having nothing at all.

At the end of the day a training centre which seems to offer little to no levels of assisted tuition shouldn't really be called a 'training centre' - it should be titled exactly as described on the stream: A freeroam environment where you can "mess around", "have "fun" and learn things on a "trial and error" basis. Great stuff, like I haven't already been doing the latter for the past three years!

• Like Like x 4
  48. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Er, they could just have six loops, each with different signalling systems...
    This method means duplicating signalling tutorials for every new route.

• Like Like x 3
  49. lorenz

lorenz Member

Another minor detail: in the Training Center the German train runs on the left track while the English train on the right. This is also wrong. What good is a playground (arcade and non-educational) when everyone could practice playing the same scenario several times. The point, in my view, is that this wastes precious time. Valuable time that the development team could have used to improve the actual simulation from every point of view. Here we risk ending up as SimRail, a Polish title that has yet to be released ... and will probably end with the Prologue version released a few months ago (due to too much meat on the fire). Too many features and all mediocre. Isn't it better to focus on the basics (simulation, advanced dispatcher, dynamic signage, terrestrial lighting and shadows, accurate and detailed sounds) and do it excellently?

I have personally encouraged the TSW franchise since launching in 2017-2018 (as 7orenz, my missed account). But now several years have passed and I would like to see a solid and mature product.

• Like Like x 4
  50. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Of course focusing on the core issues and features would be good but that train left the station a long time ago I fear.

• Like Like x 3