Trains/routes You Might Not Realise You Had...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainbraint, May 26, 2021.

1. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

This thread is intended to inform people about various trains/routes that come with other routes/trains which they might not have been aware of before, so they can get better value out of what they have bought. I have included only my immediate thoughts on the subject off the top of my head, so people are free to reply with any they can think of. I will update the list if/when I think of any more.

Trains:
    Berlin - Leipzig: T4D-M tram. This was I believe intended as an AI only piece of stock however and although it is very basic, with no cab view, it is drivable and has nice sounds. There is also an AI DB 481, but this is not drivable.
    Black Forest Journeys: CR4000 Tram. This is the Croydon tram, which is used as AI on the short Freiburg tram route that comes with the route. It is literally a Croydon tram, even in the original Tramlink livery, but with a German destination board, so will mainly fit on any British tram routes. I believe it is a copied version of an MSTS model. It has nice sounds and for its role, is relatively advanced, about as advanced as a standard loco dlc from 2012/3/4. It even has a passenger view.
    Routes:
    WCML North: there are a multitude of smaller lines included which you may not have realised, mainly around the Glasgow area. Firstly, there is the Glasgow Low Level Lines. This is a branch that runs from Rutherglen near Glasgow Central through some suburban stations and then runs underground as far as Glasgow Central Low Level. Most suburban services in reality run through here to the west of the city. Secondly, the Hamilton loop line and Larkhall branch. This branches off a couple of miles after Glasgow Central and runs on a loop to Motherwell on the main line. Half way through this, there is a short branch to Larkhall that leaves the main route. Thirdly, there is the commuter line from Coatbridge to Glasgow via Mount Vernon. Coatbridge has a container terminal, and there is a main line that runs down to Motherwell but the line to Glasgow has also been included. It is a non-electrified line (it is electrified in reality nowadays) with steep gradients and joins the main line a mile or two before Glasgow Central.
    NEC: New York - New Haven: the New Canaan branch line. More people may know about this one, but there are no scenarios that use the branch that come with the route, I don’t think. It is a short, single track commuter branch line that leaves the main line after Stamford and has a few stations along the route. It has a shuttle service most of the day.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

WCML North
    Why do you think people don't bother looking at the routes maps?
    I think most people will have explored those routes in the game as there are a number of scenarios that feature them

Black Forest Journeys: CR4000 Tram
    Looks like this one on UKTS
    https://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=27013
    As to the route don't waste your money

3. trainbraint

I didn’t assume that people don’t look at the route map, personally, at least, it was a little while before I realised all of the different routes in WCML North were there, and even longer before I realised they were fully useable and populated with scenery. For the Black Forest Journeys route, I agree it isn’t the best quality but this is more meant to let people know if they have the route already. I would say that buying the route just for the tram isn’t worth it.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_WCML North_55.73907--3.97538_10-36-30.jpg

This is a scenario on a part of WCML-North where the 318 is broken and they have drafted something else in
    This picture was made 09 October 2013 as at some point I had bought WCML North and London to Brighton

5. trainbraint

Yes - I think the Larkhall branch is more well known, but the line via Bargeddie and Mount Vernon is lesser so.

6. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

As for the New Canaan branch, there are a few workshop scenarios that have recreations of the shuttle and direct runs to and from Grand Central. The M2/M4 DLC also has a scenario for it. It's not as detailed as the rest of the route, but is nonetheless fun to drive, shame they didn't put the Danbury and Waterbury branches.

7. trainbraint

8. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

The Riviera Line has the semi-derelict lower end of the former Teign branch from Newton Abbott up to Heathfield. This is fully scenerised, but there are no scenarios in the pack that use it. The line was reactivated a few years ago for occasional freight workings and there have been a couple of demonstration passenger trains to promote its possible use as a new commuter route.

9. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Yep, I have that route, shame it seems to be a dead project, especially since the danbury branch is just track in a wasteland, and the Waterbury branch has minimal scenery work done.

10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’ve only recently realised that the Churston to Brixham branch is included in the Riviera Line in the 50s route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The Robinson O4 includes a nice looking V2 in BR lined black.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

We should add Suburban Glasgow. If you don't play the stock scenarios or know the area, you might not realize the Maryhill Line is part of the route, fully contained in the northeast. Also, this is the "west of the city" mentioned from WCML North, ending up at Patrick Station and onwards. Notice Exhibition Centre is included, but Anderston Station is not. No, it's not part of the North Clyde Line, but I think this was an intentional move, and I've had my guess registered for months on the Argyle Line coming out. I would be both happy and angry at this news if it comes; the anger part would have been that we could have merged this ourselves with Anderston, but there would still be a few new stations, and I'm hopeful other extensions (the line merging onto Edinburgh-Glasgow, the line through Stepps eventually meeting and finishing at Springburn, the entire Gartcosh Junction and both Coatbridge Sunnyside and Blairhill along the North Clyde Line as a waypoint and possible scenario point for special situations to access the Argyle proper from that way, etc.) are included.

The rest of the North Clyde through Airdrie and Bathgate to Newbridge Junction can come later. I honestly think that can happen. That would bring a proper 334 and a very nice route merge for the full Helensburgh to Edinburgh run (though, again, there would be salty people about the prior freeware status). That run is common. 2H54 12:35 Saturday service is one of many.