Trainspotters In Train Sim World

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lokomotiv, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

Suggestion: How about adding trainspotters to Train Sim World?

In general, I think trainspotters can break up the driving experience and give variation to the Train Sim World. Think of it as an extra activity similar to the on-foot activities on stations.

Interaction with Trainspotters
    Many things can be done with trainspotters, but my initial idea, besides simply spotting them while driving, is that honking at them with the train horn unlocks certain achievements e.g.:

Achievement: Spot the Trainspotter
    Honk the train horn at a trainspotter

Achievement: Horn Blaster
    Pass trainspotters 100 times and operate the train horn at them
    0/100

Trainspotter Camera
    Another idea is to enable the external camera to snap to the trainspotter camera so that you can capture the moment with a screenshot as you go by, and/or to simply enjoy the view and sounds from this perspective. Achievements could be added here as well:

Achievement: I'm a Trainspotter
    Change to the external view as you go by a trainspotter

Achievement: Say Cheese
    Change to the external view as you go by a trainspotter and take a screenshot

Audio Updates
    Adding trainspotters can be a great opportunity to feature audio updates to train horns if you ever decide to reiterate them. Personally, I feel many of the horn sounds today deserve to get a lot more oomph added to them (see video examples below for real life reference). After all they're train horns! :D

Video Reference
    Here are some German spotting location examples and signalhorn action:

And then there's the national treasure known as Francis Bourgeois from TikTok. How about adding him to TSW as a custom 3d model with a GoPro attached to his head?

• Like Like x 8
  2. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

They already exist and can be found in the new journeys DLC on TSW2. Not yet available on TSW3

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Sprint of Steam has got trainspotters in unlocked though mastery

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

So that's 2 routes so far :D I assume they're just the models without any interactive features? Either way, I added New Journeys to my wishlist, and Spirit of Steam I've got with the TSW3 bundle so I'm looking forward to checking that out.

5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

It's 4 routes. In the new journeys pack they are on all the 3 routes of the TSW2 base game.
    They will follow you with their camera when you pass by

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Horseshoe curve has them too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. gwrfan#3416

gwrfan#3416 Well-Known Member

If I may suggest soemthing be added to this?
    I think they should allow you to play as an trainspotter and take photos plus videos as an task which you could get soem mastery for but also it would allow for some challenges like take a photo of _______ on ________ Bridge or take 5 photos of ____ at certain times of the day and etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

I like that idea, and if they were to use existing mechanics then I feel trainspotting challenges could be defined as achievements, which would make it an attractive activity/challenge/reward thing to do. Furthermore, the on-foot feature in timetables is a great place to start trainspotting from, I think.

And here's the potential bonus feature they should consider adding: If they were to make trainspotting more interactive like this then it's the perfect moment to implement a proper photo mode too, similar to what they have in ETS2. I saw it recently got requested in suggestions here, also it's been mentioned by TSW peeps during dev streams.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Defenetly agree with this, especially that the horns should be upgraded