Tram Lines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanmacgregor, Nov 16, 2020.

1. deanmacgregor

deanmacgregor Active Member

Hi guys, there a few trams available to download from UKTS which I now have but I cant find any tram lines to run them on. Does anyone know of any paid or freeware routes for trams please, thanks.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. deanmacgregor

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

a) many track assets have a "rails only version" i.e. no ballast or sleepers, you need to look through your various routes to see what you've got available
    b) Platform lofts are moveable (up down left right, scalable and rotatable) just like everything else is in the game, you need to watch a few tutorials before you get cracking with this project, see your other thread for the links I've provided.

5. Pookeyhead

Not at the tramstops at Manchester Victoria, and all the tramstops on the Metrolink that are included in that route they're not. Use those assets if you're building a route.

What route you building? Someone needs to do Blackpool.. properly... There was a tragic MS Train Sim version years ago... but it was... let's be kind and say forgettable.

6. deanmacgregor

Included in what route sorry

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As the original author of the MSTS route I really appreciate the compliment, as I’m sure do the individuals who then modded it with the Illuminations and Tram Sunday versions. We did the best with what we had at the time.

And while it probably doesn’t live up to your exacting standards either, I also produced a version for Railworks many years ago with the help of Michael Whiteley and Adam Lucas from (then) RSC. An appeal for help with 3D models on UKTS otherwise went inanswered. It still lurks in the file library at Trainsim dot com.

Finally I would politely suggest in future, if you’re going to sl@g off someone’s freeware work, you might want to check they are not about to read it first...

• Like Like x 4
  8. deanmacgregor

Fantastic stuff, do you know the link for the trainsim.com version of your route please?

9. OldVern

Well I can't hotlink, but this link brings up the TS dot com search result, if you are a member...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib.php?searchid=17580809

Believe me though I would love to see a version of the route done to modern commercial standards, would be a Day 1 purchase for me. Sadly with the increasing years old eyes and hands mean I have even less ability to do 3D stuff which is why my route building these days is largely confined to Trainz, where there are 10s of 1000s of assets available on the DLS.

10. deanmacgregor

sorry could you remind me of these links please, i cant find your other post.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Click on the words "other thread" - that is the link

12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Charming!

The Blackpool tram route was a great source of enjoyment at the time when MSTS was the best simulator available.

MSTS is 20 years old so it isn't going to look as polished and the latest TS1/TSW routes. Having had most of the freeware CD routes from UKTS they were a great source of enjoyment and such variety from tram routes, steam period routes, BR blue routes to modern routes. Far more variety I would argue than we have today and from a very close community.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OldVern

Appreciate the support, Organist! As I said above, particularly when the Special Edition was produced there was significant input from the UKTS community to enhance my original premise. I agree it looks dated by today's standards but I'm glad it still provides enjoyment after all this time, probably 15 years!

• Like Like x 3
  14. theorganist

No problem, seemed a rather crass comment to make considering people put time and effort in for others enjoyment, I only produce scenarios but feel reluctant to upload some of those as I have had those picked apart in the past. The TS1 "community" often seems to be about ego's nowadays, my website is better than yours etc and criticising others creations.

I see Trainsim.TV have produced a video of it on their Youtube channel. They produced a video the MSTS Manchester Metro a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
  15. deanmacgregor

Sorry, that's not bringing anything up, wish there was a way I could download this route.

16. OldVern

Become a member at Trainsim dot com www.trainsim.com and search the file library for "Blackpool"...

17. deanmacgregor

Is this it? Screenshot_20201117-140748_Chrome.jpg

18. Pookeyhead

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pookeyhead

So why not take my comment in that context? I'm sorry, but ANYTHING in MSTS is tragic if you revisit it now. I had a hoot in MS Flight Sim for Windows 95... but I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than sit and play it now... or at least for more than a few minutes for nostalgia's sake.

It would make no difference. I'm not one to pretend to like something because they're within earshot. Take my comments in the context they they were intended - that MSTS, regardless of what it's running, is at best, pretty poor. If I'm slagging anything off, it's MSTS. If you want to take it as a personal attack, I can't stop you though.

20. OldVern

Actually some stuff in MSTS still looks good - if you run it in Open Rails. Some of the Australian routes for example, or projects like Thames Trent, the recently released Cornish network etc. Many routes are unlikely to see the light of day in TS/RW (let alone TSW) so I'm happy to enjoy them in whatever sim they are available for, even to the point of firing up Zusi 2 or OpenBVE. Better to have an old or mediocre representation (IMHO) than nothing at all.

• Like Like x 1
  21. theorganist

Well it didn't read like that to be honest.

I re-installed MSTS recently via open rails as I used to love the Cambrian 2 route and North Wales Coast routes and wanted to play them again, I remembered them as being very highly detailed routes. I did uninstall it within a few days, but that is because it does look dated compared to TS1 and TSW and I couldn't remember how the activity editor worked, but it was of its time and seems to still have a big following especially in America. The sounds on the North Wales Coast stock sounded excellent though and you got a variety of DMU's not just a class 101 thrown in, it still looked very good especially the track work, sadly the track in the Cambrian route wasn't so good! It generally had very good physics but you miss things like the lack of working AWS and 3D cabs I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

Yes I should have added NWC (2) to my statement above. Running in OR, it's superb and you get the branches to Blaenau and Amlwch included too.

23. theorganist

Maybe when I have got a new hard drive and more space I will re-install it again just for NWC2 as it probably was the pinnacle of UK routes, certainly commercial or donationware routes.

24. Pookeyhead

I'm not really sure what you want me to do about that. I will apologise to the author of the work if he feels it is necessary, or makes him feel better, but I'll still think anything running on MSTS is a bit rubbish, because MSTS is a bit rubbish. That's my final word on the matter.