Tram Sim Vienna, Munich Or Both

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rennekton#1349, Nov 23, 2022.

1. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone.
    I was looking through the steam sale and saw tram sim munich and vienna were 50% off, so around $17.49. I can also purchase both at around $30. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were for those who play it. I've found mixed reviews and stuff and just wanted a second opinion.

I've been looking at tram sim for some time cuz it's a nice representation of a city and you can run trams and I like trains of course. But other than that, I don't know much about it other than the gameplay videos on youtube.

2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Also interested in this. I think I'm going to pick them both up. I think it's a pretty good price. I did buy Vienna a long time ago and refunded it but that was mainly due to issues with VR and then never getting it to run properly again. I've been watching videos and Münich certainly looks pretty nice. I've been there a few times and the scenery isn't bad.

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

After the slight disappointment with what I just bought in the sale for TSW and TSC, think it might be time for a change and check this out. Would be interested to learn which is the best or just buy both.

That said, reviews on Steam are a bit meh for both and it is Aerosoft, so visions of World Of Subways over again.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  4. rennekton#1349

Apparently there are still game breaking bugs and performance issues so I don't want to buy it just for the game to crash or there to be low performance. YouTube videos seem to only show like the good runs and stuff. There were vr issues and other various issues. And then support for vienna dropped when they were making munich so if there's still a lot of bugs, it's never been fixed.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Personally I think it's a pass. I had a poor experience dealing with Aerosoft over problems with WOS3 a few months back, they are another company putting out faulty software on a fire and forget basis, it seems.

6. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I have both, having picked up the Munich version in this sale. I've also got a bit of DLC for Vienna - the depot and the E2.

I really like the game - you can map a throttle to the power handle and while it's got its limitations, it's the most in depth tram simulator you can get. I would absolutely recommend it if you like the local passenger runs on TSW, as it gives an even more immersive experience of a similar idea. Even in VR if you like.

At this point I'd say get Vienna and the depot, when it's on sale. The main factor should probably be which city you know better, but if you know neither the routes go through far nicer looking places in Vienna. Beyond that, Munich is slightly unrefined still, concentrates in slightly boring districts and doesn't have much DLC to expand on the initial experience. Vienna having been out longer also means it's simply more developed, with two main routes exploring different parts of the city.

With the depot DLC from Vienna you get all sorts of additional things to do beyond simply driving from A to B and back ad infinitum, it really expands the possibilities within the game. Even with it not being on sale, I'd recommend getting Vienna base game and that rather than Vienna and Munich, unless your only interest is driving back and forth.

Really, unless you simply know Munich well I'd say that version is for when you've enjoyed Vienna but need a change of scenery. Get it next time around, and get Vienna and DLC for now.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. Rybnicki

I've run it on a 6 year old mid range gaming laptop and something more recent, it was very buggy and behaved weirdly in the beginning but it's running very nicely these days. If it doesn't work for you, you can always refund it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. rennekton#1349

Thanks for the input. Have you encountered any gamebreaking bugs or anything like that? I've read steam reviews where players have said there are still lots of bugs present and stuff

9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Tram Sim is ok, slightly bad optimization but otherwise flawless and is fun to play.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Rybnicki

No, as I said that was more the case early on in the game's release, it's all been pretty well ironed out by now and runs nicely.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

i have both. Got one in September and the other in November. Honestly, its good, and yes, there are some stuttering, and bugs. Game breaking? well that term is thrown around for everything nowadays. But what i would call game breaking is when you drive one tram for about two hours then it glitches and the front carriage is now facing the other way. This only happens to one type of tram in TramSim Vienna. the same type may have its bellows (the accordion part) stretch ridiculously. Again, after line two hours of non stop play. May or may not happen. Other than that, i suggest keeping it set at around 30-60fps and dont max out the graphics. Even if your machine is beyond the speccs needed, its the optimization of the game that needs work, which is coming within a year from what the devs have been saying. Munich is smoother running, but the pedestrians are more buggy. and doesnt have AI trams from routes you dont drive. just the three routes you do. Oh, and no depot for the Munich one.

• Like Like x 1