Trapped In Laufen

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Factor41, Sep 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I was just doing an Aschaffenburg-Gemunden service on the MSB (DB BR 146.2) and left the train to add a route map to the board on the underground tunnel. Once I'd done it, I was unable to get back up the steps to return to the train. It would allow me to walk freely along the tunnel, but was unable to climb the stairs at either end. There was a pedestrian a couple of steps up on one of them which was not moving, but there would have been room to go around him.

After a while, I got the notice asking if I wanted to give up control of the train, and had no other option but to do so. Anyone else run into this issue?

• Like Like x 1
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Couple of things....

Yes - this happened to me, at Laufen. My guess would be that your "body" got snagged on the tunnel's structure. Just a guess. When it happened to me, I was able to reverse out of it. But it felt like there was still a transparent wall in front of me. I left the tunnel via another exit, and re-crossed the track at the surface, and went through the tunnel again from the other side, without a problem, in either direction, as if this transparent wall had gone. There is probably a surface that is jutting out somewhere, but only by a very tiny amount (like a few mm), causing the snag.

This is a bug, but a very very minor one. Can you spawn walk there and repeat the trap, without getting free? If you get completely trapped again, then you could report it.

Secondly - when you get this message about giving up control, you can always say "No", and you can keep doing this (in my experience). Even if you walk 30 miles away from the train, you can keep saying "No" - and yes, I have tested this. ;-)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

It wasn't that I was snagged in one place, I was free to move around the tunnel from end to end with no problem at all, but just couldn't get up the steps at either end. As though the bottom steps were too high for me to get up. I'll try spawning there again and see if I can recreate it.

4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I happened to visit Laufen recently, and so I thought I would look again at this under-passage issue.

The "snag" is the bottom step (at both ends of the passage). It only (but always) snags you if you are running at it and/or looking down as you walk/run. If you back off the "apparently transparent wall", look up, and then gently re-approach the steps, there is no problem. It doesn't matter if there is another person (NPC) around. The intermittent block is the step - and, please note that it doesn't ever block you on the way down (so there is no wall there).

This snag is caused because your "body" has a physical interaction with the step surface. If I were to guess, I would think that your body (when you are not looking at it from an external camera) is actually a small floating hard cube (it might even be bobbing to simulate walking...). And I think, with this bug, that this cube gets jammed into the 90 degree internal angle of the step (or one of the steps), and stops you from moving up the step because you can't "look" and "move" vertically upwards. It's also possible that the top surface of one of the steps is jutting out, by one mm.

(There are other ways this jam could occur, say, if the top of your body was snagging on the ceiling of the underpass).

There are fixes for this (after all, other steps don't have this problem). An easy one would be to make the steps (or the ceiling) non-physical, and then put in an invisible physical slope (but then you will see people's feet sink into the step, if it isn't done right...), or they could make your body a sphere shape (which still won't work if that step isn't perfectly made), or locally change the physics (friction/etc.).

They could also give you the ability to jump - but implementing this would require a massive amount of testing of world boundaries - so that won't happen.

It's not a major bug. You can back off the steps, and re-try them, successfully. But that said...conversely, if you always run at the steps and look down, you will always encounter the block - so it might be a general design standard/issue that DTG could look at and/or revise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1