Trent Valley Scenario Crash...

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by ntypeman, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have recently downloaded the Trent Valley route, twice now when playing the Down Stopping scenario it crashes / hangs at exactly the same place every time just after exiting the Shugborough Tunnel... Does anyone please have any suggestions as to why / what fixes may be available???

Incidentally, It's not the first time its happened... something similar happened to me on the Welsh Marches route whilst playing part 2 of the railtour...

Thanks again...

Eric

NB: Just attempted to play "Up Limited" and that crashed / hung also...

Getting annoyed now....!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

For what little help it is I haven't driven the Down Stopping scenario yet but have had no such issues otherwise. Are you starting from a saved position? That can mess things up.

One thing I have encountered with the Welsh Marches Railtour scenario is that it doesn't seem to end- you just stop at Shrewsbury and... well... then you're stopped at Shrewsbury. Of course if you quit the scenario it doesn't get ticked off on the list. Presumably I'm missing something and will kick myself when it's pointed out to me.

3. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Screenshot of the error would be helpful.

Are you playing in 64 bit mode? You should try that if you are experiencing stability issues. Otherwise try lowering the graphics settings.

4. JJTimothy

That's a good thought. Trent Valley is very detailed which is great but demands more from the system running it. I'm not sure if the same may be said of the Welsh Marches (new and also nicely detailed but doesn't have all that catenary you get in Trent Valley which I believe takes a lot of work) but it's quite possible that these routes make TS push the OP's system harder than it has before.

OP did the problems start as soon as you acquired these routes or have you had them for a while? System spec's may be some help too.

5. ntypeman

Hi all...

Sorry for not coming back to you all sooner... I've had a few hectic days back in work... I'll try to answer everyone's questions in turn to the best of my ability...

JJ: No, the scenario isn't saved / restarted... I ran it from the start every time (wasting nearly 2 hours in the process over 2 attempts!!!).

Always play in 64 bit mode, never tried 32 bit as I'm led to believe that it's inferior to the 64 bit version.

Problems have only manifested themselves since i have had the routes... At the moment, had / having issues with Trent Valley (Up Limited & Down Stopping) & Welsh Marches (Railtour Pt2) which hangs / crashes just north of the Wooferton Loop if my memory serves me correctly...

Tomas: There's no screenshot of the error so to speak... You'll just be bowling down the track and then all of a sudden it's like hitting a brick wall - You just stop, the computer freezes and becomes unresponsive, so much so it has to be restarted!!!

I use a MSI GE63 8RE Raider gaming laptop

Intel Core i7 8750H 8th gen
    NVIDEA GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    256GB SSD / 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR4 memory
    Windows 10

What is the best way to post the info on my TS graphics settings???

Many thanks in advance

Eric

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

"What is the best way to post the info on my TS graphics settings?"
    Go to your Graphics Settings and do Print Screen (PrtScn) then dump it to a photo editor -
    then save the picture as a Jpg and post here
    Settings v68.2 24-06.jpg
    Peter

7. JJTimothy

FWIW I drove the Down Stopping scenario last night without difficulty.

They're the same program in theory but the 64 bit version doesn't bang its head on the 4GB memory limit. That Dovetail managed to introduce a 64 bit version that works at all never mind as well as it does was no mean achievement but they aren't completely compatible so if you can stand to try again using 32 bit it might yield some more information. (That said I haven't used 32 bit since I don't know when and certainly ran the scenarios you mention in 64 bit so I don't know how helpful that would be.)

Presumably you've tried deleting and reinstalling the routes and a file verify.

8. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...
    I'll try to post some screenshots of my graphics settings later however a BBQ is calling so don't know how successful I'll be tonight...!!!

JJ: I haven't to be honest but to be fair I don't really get to go on the computer much till the weekends, the time through the week being dedicated to my little boys home schooling so have to use my phone mainly to traverse the forums...!!!

What is the easiest way to delete then reinstall and do you lose any current progress in doing so???

Thanks again to you both

Eric

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you wish to Delete and Re-Install any route/train

Go in to your Steam Client > Library then Click on Train Simulator
    Part way down the RH side you will find Manage my DLC
    client.jpg
    Click on that and you will have a full list of everything you have bought on Steam
    In the Search box find WCML Trent Valley - Untick it and click OK at the bottom
    Go back to it and re tick the route - Click Ok and it will reinstall a vanilla copy

Peter

10. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

Will try it tomorrow but can i ask, what's a vanilla copy???

Eric

11. ntypeman

Morning all...

please (hopefully) find some enclosed screenshots of my graphics settings & please feel free to suggest any changes which may improve my TS experience... Please note that these setting are as I currently play it... Also of note is that I have just verified my game files & if came up with 1261 files failed to validate... Don't know how/why that's happened or if that's a contributing factor... Off to play the "Up Limited" now to see what happens

Eric

2020-06-27 (4).png
    2020-06-27 (5).png
    2020-06-27 (6).png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  12. ntypeman

Update...

Nope... still hangs, this is a screenshot at the point of hanging / crashing...

2020-06-27 (7).png
    This happened whilst on 64 bit... will now try 32 bit...

Eric

13. ntypeman

Semi success...

I completed the "Up Limited" under 32 bit conditions and it seemed to run ok... Departed Rugby with a reasonable score of 988 but there was NO warning about 2 sets of TSR's before Kilsby Tunnel... The only warning i got was a spate indicator / Dalek but there was no notification that the first TSR was 20mph... Rocketed through the TSR at about 100mph and my score ended up in the MINUS 2000's!!!

My question is why does it seem to work under 32 bit and not 64bit and should I continue in 32 bit rather than 64 bit???

Eric

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A vanilla copy is what you would have if you had just purchased the route
    Try Reducing your Texture Filtering to Anisotropic x2 and see if that makes a difference

Peter

15. ntypeman

Thanks Peter...

what exactly is the texture filtering and more to the point what difference does anisotropic x2 make???
    Cheers
    Eric

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member