Trinity Railway Express: Dallas - Fort Worth

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Krazy, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Located in the American state of Texas, the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) operates commuter trains at a top speed of 79 mph on the 34 mile (55 km) long route from Dallas Union Station to Fort Worth T&P Station. The route has a total of 10 stations, and also serves Amtrak's Texas Eagle.

Trinity Railway Express
    These commuter trains are the main thing you'll find running along the route. Painted in a paint scheme based off of the Texas flag, the trains stop at 10 stations on a normal full-length service:
    - Dallas Union Station
    - Victory Station
    - Medical/Market Center
    - Downtown Irving/Heritage Crossing
    - West Irving
    - Centreport/DFW Airport
    - Bell
    - Richland Hills
    - Fort Worth Central Station
    - Fort Worth T&P Station

It takes just over an hour to drive from one end of the route to the other. Here is the weekday schedule for eastbound trains towards Dallas:
    [​IMG]

And here's the schedule for westbound trains going towards Fort Worth:
    [​IMG]

There seem to be over 30 services in each direction, which would make the total amount of TRE services over 60. As you can see, not all trains run the full route. That's because there's a yard between CentrePort and West Irving where the TRE trains are stored.

Here is the rolling stock that is used by the TRE:

F59PH
    These locomotives are the most common, as TRE owns 7 of them. This locomotive (as well as the other TRE locomotive in this suggestion) runs westbound services to Fort Worth.
    [​IMG]

F59PHI

While these locomotives are quite common on many other American passenger railroads, TRE only owns 2 of these. But it's still a really nice locomotive, and considering it's 22% of the TRE roster, it's a good choice.
    [​IMG]

And of course we have one more important piece of rolling stock, being the Bombardier Bi-Level Cab Car, which runs eastbound services to Dallas. While the Bombardier bi-level cars can mostly be re-used from the Caltrain version, the interiors would likely be different, and the cab car would need a new horn.
    upload_2021-8-12_20-34-22.png

Amtrak Texas Eagle
    Surprise, surprise! It's not just commuter trains that run along this line. We can get a taste of the wonderful Amtrak long distance trains, with this route having the Texas Eagle. These trains run between Chicago, Illinois and San Antonio, Texas. On the TRE route, the train stops at Dallas Union Station and Fort Worth Central Station. It runs only three days a week, so I would assume it's just one train in each direction. It seems most worthy of being a service mode layer, if the Genesis P42 and Superliner cars make it into Train Sim World via a different route.

Final Thoughts
    I personally think the Trinity Railway Express is a good choice for Train Sim World. The route isn't much work (being just 34 miles with 5 stations), but the timetable provides a good number of trains, and two exciting variants of the F59PH. It's good for bringing a new state into the game (being Texas), and I just like the trains. That's a nice livery/paint scheme that they use. I'm not sure if licensing is an issue or not, as I don't know if DTG has ever contacted TRE before. I simply like the route as a nice and simple American passenger route.

Hopefully you enjoyed this suggestion, and are also interested in the Trinity Railway Express. Stay tuned for the future, where I'll probably make a suggestion for the Utah FrontRunner. Have a nice day!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Question is though what about the addition of freight services along the line, as it looks like there are multiple industries and some small yards along the proposed route, not to mention it seems like at least 4 railroads share trackage rights on TRE's mainline, (UP, BNSF, DGNO and FWWR.)
    aaaaaaaaa.png
    Though I'm not sure what their extent of operations on the line are. (DGNO has a yard east of Irvine, BNSF connects at the Wye at Irvine, not sure where the FWWR or UP fit into the area)

Though BNSF is out of the question.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1