Ts Classic Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by holt.alistair, Apr 21, 2022.

1. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Have logged on through Steam and got the updated game to TS Classic, the game loads up and I can can get to the point where I can select a Scenario. When I select one and try to load it the whole game freezes. I have been using the game since 2012 and have lots of add ons and scenarios but the scenario I am selecting is a standard DTG one. Help. Thanks Fred

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Interesting. There was no change in the game code, just version number bumping and background/splash images updated.

I didn't have to do this, but maybe restarting your PC and running Steam as Admin once fixes your issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2022
  3. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

4. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Have tried restarting that does not change anything, do you mean running steam as a windows admin user, or is there a way of running it ‘in admin’? Thanks

5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Log into to Win as Admin, run Steam and start TS. If the problem persists, verify game files. If not, log out, and return to your profile.
    Alternatively, right-click Steam and select "Run as Administrator".

6. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

Also you can select the shortcut on your Desktop/Start Menu/Disk Manager and run as admin directly.

7. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Thanks have run as windows admin and steam admin but nothing different. Do not want to verify game files as have done that in the past and it removes files. Have raised a ticket with DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I know what you're saying, last verification I did took several hours. But support will tell you to.

Good luck!

9. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Hi, has anyone else got this issue?

10. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

h.a
    Sorry, but that cannot happen the algorithm only overwrites DTG specific files on your system that are different to the master database on steam - it does NOT and cannot remove files, it only overwrite any files that have changed from the main database

11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am experiencing the same issue Train Simulator loads up with no issue. But once I select a scenario the game just crashes. I had no issues playing last night.

But now tonight I am unable to play at all very frustrating.

Will add that I restarted steam after update just to prevent any issues from happening, now I am doing a verification of game files.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  12. Michael Newbury

I have now submitted a ticket as I am out of options other than going to the long and painful extent uninstall and reinstalling of the game.

13. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Do you have any workshop scenarios installed?
    If so, it could be those causing problems.

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I've had a different experience. The last time I did a verification in 2018 (automatically because I had moved the installation to a new drive, if you do that using the Steam move function all files are verified after transferring), all my patches were removed. The folders (RailVehicles\Diesel\blabla\CabView) for example which I put next to the .ap were there but - empty, the files were gone.
    So it makes sure you're playing the original unaltered game.
    Additional files or reskins that do not modify original content were not touched.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2022
  15. Michael Newbury

The issue here is everything was fine before yesterday, and when I tried to run a scenario that worked prior to the update now will work. That scenario is Hot Box Pt. 2 on the Tehachapi Pass. Every time it loads up now it just crashes to the desktop.

So I cannot see it being anything to do with workshop content. I did get a response back on m y ticket not very helpful other than go through this check list. I had already gone through all of that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

When I installed my ssd drive for TS specificly I had thought about using the move function. But thought it would be better to do a fresh install. This way Steam knows where it is and the would be no issues with updates and installing new content.

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

So does it only affect a specific scenario or any? I'll check HotBox Pt2...

Edit: No problems here.

18. Michael Newbury

At this point yes it looks as if it's only this one.

I tried another scenario in WCML South using the 390 and it loads up but trying to get the cab setup is a pain so that is a separate issue. I haven't feeling well lately been having mobility issues and it has left me feeling drained and, do not much patient for when thing go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

What about Hot Box Pt.1? Can you check?

And get well soon.

20. Michael Newbury

Checking will let you know in a couple.

21. Michael Newbury

Just gave that one a try and same problem it just crashes to the desktop, these worked prior to the update not sure why they will not work now. This is very frustrating not sure what to try next other then unticking and then reticking the route.

22. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok.

Make sure you only have one .ap file in each of the two folders. Except for Blueprints.pak there should be nothing else in there.

Assets\DTG\ES44AC_BNSF\ES44AC_BNSFUSOnlyAssets.ap
    Assets\DTG\Tehachapi\TehachapiAssets.ap

Maybe you have installed my previous patch for the brakes - this is now obsolete and incompatible as the loco script has been modified by DTG. Remove it (just delete the RailVehicles folder or use Utilities.exe).

Edit: They screwed it again... The brakes won't release.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Michael Newbury

Sorry got caught in playing the ICE on the new Riessa extension will check in a bit.

24. Michael Newbury

So looking under Assets\DTG\ES44AC I have found 2
    !. ES44AC_BNSFROWassets.ap
    2 ES44AC_BNSFUSOnlyAssets.ap

And under Assets\DTG\Tehachapi there is the following
    Blueprints.pak
    TechachapiAssets.ap

25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Then you need to untick the ROW Assets in Steam, they are conflicting! Then clear the cache. This should fix your problem.

2022-04-22 18_33_16-Steam.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Michael Newbury

Big thank you that has solved the problem.

27. holt.alistair

holt.alistair Member

Hi, are there any other users out there who have not been able to get any scenarios to run in TS Classic, we get past the load profile page but when we select an individual scenario the game freezes. Everything was working fine in TS2022.

• Like Like x 1
  28. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Some users have reported their AntiVirus software flagging TS. Try disabling it and see if it works.

• Like Like x 1
  29. brummie

brummie Active Member

For what its worth, after any update or installing new DLC I always clear the cache in settings and restart. Another restart will be required because it loads in 32 bit. I seem to be ok so far touch wood. Have run a few scenarios on different routes but will give things another go and see if everything is still ok.

• Like Like x 1
  30. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Always do mods outside the .ap or this will happen. Create a folder structure outside the .ap directing it to the folder you want to modify. It can be a bit confusing at first but once you understand the folder structure it is not that complicated.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm pretty aware of how the file structure is. I have a mirror RailWorks folder containing all my modifications which can be restored with just a mouseclick. What you are saying is what I was doing already, creating the patches outside.

What I was pointing out that Steam deletes files identical to the ones inside the .ap, for example Cabviews. The external folders will stay after a verification but the camera.bins will be deleted.
    At least it worked that way the last time I verified 4 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2022
  32. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

Yes, I am getting Railworks.exe as a an IDP. Generic and the file is being quarantined. Uninstalled and installed several times with the same result. It was not like it before the update and wonder if this is one of the same or could someone advise please ? Thank you.

33. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm using the built-in Windows Defender which didn't report it, never ever installed 3rd party AV software in 25 years of using Win for good reason.

Your AV program quarantines it probably due to the fact that the file size of the exe is ecactly the same as before the update (because the only change is the version number) but the checksum has changed.

There must be a way of telling your software to make an exception for RailWorks64.exe, check the help system of your AV program.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2022
  34. 805 BENBOW

805 BENBOW Member

Thank you for your reply. It was most helpful.