Ts Crashes My Pc!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zinv, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zinv

Zinv Member

Hey there!
    I have got a problem: I bought TS 2015 three years ago and first, ist worked fine for the first time. But once (I dont know when or why) TS started to crash my PC when a scenario just opened. I thought it must be my PC and toggled down the graphic settings. Nothing changed. So I did nothing.
    When TS 2019 was released with the 64bit version, i thought it might work now, but it didnt. My PC keeps crashing when a scenario openes.

I have a Laptop from Medion:
    64bit
    4GB RAM
    Intel 2.66 GHz
    Sorry, if some important information is missing.

I expect the problem is my laptop but maybe there is a solution though.
    Hoping for answers!

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

So TS starts OK, you click the drive menu, choose a scenario, click start and that's when you get the crash? Invariably?

Have you tried the usual steps of running a file verify or reinstalling? (If you reinstall you should uninstall from the Steam LIBRARY tab then find your Railworks directory and delete it before you reinstall.)

Regarding your PC the details are a bit scant (an Intel 2.66GHz what?) and it doesn't sound ideal for TS but, more as an experiment than anything else, I have TS running on an i5 laptop with 3GB RAM. Not too surprisingly it can be flakey and its attempts to draw steam loco's (before it crashes) can be hilarious but if I don't mix and match the DLC too much it can cope.

Fit more RAM if you can. You are, no doubt, aware that TS32bit can't use more than 4GB but Windows takes up no little room too- adding more would give both TS and Windows breathing room so to speak. (That is easy to say but likely to mean removing the memory you do have and completely replacing it with bigger modules at which point you may be better off looking for another system anyway.)

3. Zinv

Zinv Member

How do you run a file verify? Sorry, but I am not good at this

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Open the steam client
    Go to library at the top
    Right click Train Simulator on the left
    Choose Properties at the bottom of the resulting menu
    in the Properties box open the LOCAL FILES tab at the top
    Click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES...

5. Zinv

Zinv Member

Ok, i will try.

Btw my processor is:
    Intel Core i3 CPU M 390 2.66GHz

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Well someone else will chip in no doubt but you could certaily do worse. Do you have a GPU?

7. ARuscoe

Just read back upthread... so you installed the software when it was TS15 and it worked fine. At some point it stopped working so you left it, and now you've updated to TS19 and it's still not working...?

Nothing's happened in between, no other changes?
    If not then I would suggest a complete strip out and rebuild of TS
    Instructions in this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/routes-not-loading.13341/

8. Zinv

Zinv Member

First at all: With the file verify it worked and doesnt crash anymore! Thank you! But it still is lagging although the graphic settings are almost the lowest. Maybe someone has a solution but I expect, it is my Laptop.

9. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

The game ain't really been made to play on Laptops to get the best out of the game you need a desktop Computer

10. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Hi Zinv,

Usually, I run TS2019 64 bit on my desktop, but I can also run the 64 bit version on my laptop with reduced graphics settings and consequently some reduction in scenery detail, etc. However, I'm using 8GB of RAM against your 4GB.

My laptop processor is an Intel i3 5005U running at 2GHz. Not really suitable for TS2019, but it does surprisingly well - helped by the upgrade to 64 bit, which makes full use of the 8GB available RAM.

Perhaps - as has been mentioned already - you could consider increasing your 4GB RAM to 8GB, if that's possible with your laptop. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee this would provide significant improvements as much depends on other factors relating to your motherboard and the limitations of its graphics chip / shared memory.

Maybe it would be better saving for a higher spec (possibly, gaming) laptop, or for a desktop PC capable of running TS2019 with various add-ons and longer routes. I hope you can manage to work something out, because overall TS2019 running in 64 bit mode has been a great improvement over the previous 32 bit releases of TS.

11. Zinv

Zinv Member

Ok, thanks to you all for your help! I think I will buy a desktop PC.

12. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Make sure you get a PC with a dedicated (not integrated) graphics card, using perhaps an nVidia GTX 1060 or a better / later card, and plenty of graphics card memory - in addition to your RAM.

13. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

4 GB is not enough. Your system must also share this memory during gameplay. Some routes will use over 3.5 GB of memory by them selves causing crashes. The 64 bit version will use more memory than the 32 bit uses for the same route.

14. ARuscoe

I've played 551 hours on 4Gb or less. A surface pro 4 laptop and a desktop PC both running windows 10