Ts Horrible Preformace On Decent Pc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tesco, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Tesco

Tesco New Member

Hello,

I have recently gotten back into Train Sim Classic after a year break. Since then, I have gotten a new GPU, an RTX 4060ti. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, and I have 32GB of Vengeance Pro DDR4 RAM.

The game has been running horribly for me. When I had my old card (a GTX 1660), it ran smoothly, but now the average FPS is around 23-15, and it can drop as low as 5. Routes that I used to really enjoy are now unplayable.

Interestingly, I can play Train Sim World 4 at around 170-70 FPS on 4K high settings. I'm not sure what to do. I've played this game on really bad hardware in the past, and it still ran better back then than it does on a decent, above-average PC.

Any tips would help.

2. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

Check your driver settings and make sure RailWorks64.exe is using your RTX (seen some reports that it uses the internal mobo graphics chip by default on some systems.)

1.png

German, but you'll get the point:
    2.png

On my 4070, Donner Pass runs at 260 FPS if I uncap and let it loose... :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  3. Tesco

Tesco New Member

I have done that and it all seems to be set correctly in addition to that on max settings the game looks horrible

4. Spikee1975

"Horrible" is a subjective statement. Share a screenshot.

5. Tesco

Tesco New Member

when moving at high speeds it looks so jaged i cant see speed boards or anything it is an eye sore to look at 20240429124431_1.jpg

6. Spikee1975

Which AA method?

You have two options. Use the ingame settings (I'm using FXAA + SSAA 2x2), or override the settings in your graphics driver. I've found AA is better using the game's method, otherwise it's too crispy for me.

If you experience texture flickering on some occasions it's due to some developers having forgotten to include mipmaps in their textures. (can be seen on some track & ballast)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  7. Tesco

Tesco New Member

20240429124918_1.jpg 20240429124922_1.jpg These are my settings with the low fps and the horrible visuals its making a game i have enjoyed for about 13 years unplayable

8. Tesco

Tesco New Member

It seems that using rw enhancer fxaa fix makes it worse for me

9. Spikee1975

Use at least 2 x 2 SSAA. (200% scaling)

For the rest, trial and error. I'm not using any enhancers. Though RWE2 should perform better than ReShade due to how it works.

10. bidibul#3139

bidibul#3139 Active Member

luncher DX12 ? ......

11. Tesco

Tesco New Member

That makes it 10 times worse i have heard that the rtx cards can be an issue with this game over the gtx cards but i think my case is worse

12. Tesco

Tesco New Member

On some routes it is fine but on others its like a slideshow

13. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Depending if you have an NVIDIA GPU or not, with anti aliasing, be sure to set it to Enhance the application settings.

upload_2024-5-7_20-14-59.png

14. WoodlandTracks

WoodlandTracks Active Member

Thanks PR. Any more do's / don'ts regarding the Nvidia Control Panel ?

15. Tesco

Tesco New Member

I have now fixed the issue it was just my aa setting was too low and the fps thing is very route dependant

16. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I have MFAA turned on in the Nvidia Control panel. In the game I also have the maximum anti-aliasing setting. The game mostly hovers around 50fps which could be better but the game looks lovely for me.

Also in the game settings make sure that water quality is at the highest level, otherwise you will get weird reflections that are missing crucial elements such as bridge lofts.

17. Spikee1975

I am only using ingame AA, "FXAA + 2 x 2 SSAA" and 8x Anisotropic filtering. The APSWEP 2.0 + new AdaptiveBloom shaders do the rest - they are just fine. No need for ReShade which can also impact performance.

All ingame settings maxed.

Performance varies and highly depends on how the route is built, and what stock is active in terms of complex scripts.

I have routes like Donner Pass that run on 260 FPS if I don't cap my framerate, and others like the probably most demanding route, Portsmouth Direct Line which can go down to 25 FPS at Waterloo station due to its usage of many high poly distant assets and vegetation. (Always use 2D veg if far away... no use in wasting processing power for distant trees.)

Generally, I can play most routes at locked 75 FPS which is the limit that suits my eyes.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  18. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Something small to add.
    Initially I copied over my installation from my old PC to my new laptop. Same settings, same results (Soldier Summit). I was baffled.
    (In contrast, this laptop could run WoW and GW2 at higher settings, although I reinstalled since and without the Asus bloatware.)
    After installing the game from scratch, I have better performance. (Or not. Tested with the 2007-2012 East Coast Main Line.)
    So it's non-conclusive but you may want to ditch your settings.

Another thing I noticed is that asset quality matters a lot.
    On this old PC I use lesser settings, and performance is relatively consistent. Most problematic is yards, I enjoy the 2018 PDL.
    I tried turning on SSAA earlier on, running the 2011 Northeast Corridor. It was pretty, until I saw the first train and frame rate tanked.
    I imagine the same happens with higher fidelity trees, people, ... Very much including trains (even with my settings).

It's possible that unlike me, you will want to adjust settings based on the route / train density. Unfortunately, that's a restart. Bonkers.
    It would be amazing if TSC could auto-adjust based on performance. A difficult suggestion. E.g. when paused, it could render that one frame with SSAA and all. For screenshots, of course.

19. Tesco

Tesco New Member

I would change it depending on routes but i do full runs that sometimes go over 5 hours in length on multi-part scenarios so I can see it getting tedious in my case.