Ts18: 80 Highland Miles

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 16, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Just Trains’ Kyle Line is coming soon, and with it over 80 miles worth of stunning Scottish Highland scenery!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 3
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

3. Dan_Der_Man

Dan_Der_Man Active Member

Another fantastic highland line coming to Steam! Honestly the rambling and scenic routes are my favorite and this one will certainly bring me much entertainment :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Abellio

Abellio New Member

With all due respect, JustTrains' routes are not the best routes compared with more modern routes released this or even last year (WCML Trent Valley being one). To me, this just appears like a cash grab, almost like the ECML York to Peterborough a few months ago.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

One thing you can say is they do LONGER routes...

6. hightower

hightower Guest

I find there is significant variation in the quality of JTs routes. I applaud the length of route they make but frustratingly some of their work is riddled with poor quality, misplaced or misaligned trackside scenery (particularly on Western Mainlines). Most annoyingly they nearly always require an absolute truckload of additional content (potentially into the additional £100s) to be able to run their scenarios properly, so unless you’re comfortable with RW Tools & the scenario editor you’ll have broken scenarios. Hopefully the fact that this is being released through Steam means they’ve actually had to make scenarios that work for everyone. The list for this route from the JT website;

Note: For certain scenarios to run correctly, the following stock is required:
    Steam: Class 158 loco Add-on, Class 156 DMU Add-on, EWS Class 66 v2.0 Loco
    Just Trains: Cargowaggon Flat IGA PlusPak, YGB Seacow PlusPak Advanced, VGA/VKA Wagon PlusPak

To be fair their custom buildings do tend to be very good but on Western Mainlines they really do let themselves down with lots of the other trackside scenery (trees, foliage, flowers, hedges, grass, generic buildings, cars & so on) withincredibly repetitive and low-res assets. For me, the colour palette (including the Oxford to Bicester add-on) is also very very wrong, with many of the summer trees being a very vivid billiard table green - sadly you can see that this is also the case in the pictures in the article which would indicate that it’s likely to be the same. Another issue with the scenery on routes of theirs I own is that it tends to visibly load in chunks, with some significant associated drops in frame rates.

It’ll be very disappointing if nothing has been done to better this route as, let’s face it, it is not new and has already been around for a number of years. Sadly I suspect we’ll find that this is absolutely the case and it’ll be exactly the same as was released at least 3 years ago. Have a look at people demo-ing it on YouTube, it just doesn’t look all that great in comparison with many other routes.

I feel that if they’re going to charge the same/normal price for it (it’s currently £20 on their website) then hopefully it’s had some work done to it.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about - from Western Mainlines...

Screenshot_Western Mainlines_50.95677--3.28843_12-32-47.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cygnet0115

cygnet0115 Member

Cygnet0115
    Just read your text and i do agree with everything you say,i bought Chiltern main line a while ago
    and it was very poor trackside scenery trees foliage etc,i'm afraid that was my last purchase as far as routes
    are concerned from them.

• Like Like x 1